Last Days of Old Earth arrives on Early Access04 Mar 2016 0
Ever since Last Days of Old Earth was revealed last year, it's been on the top of my "must play" list. First of all, it's 4X which is my favorite genre. Secondly, it's billed at the spiritual successor to 2007's Armageddon Empires, one of the most respected 4X titles of the past decade. Today, the beta of Last Days of Old Earth made its way to Steam Early Access for Windows.
Last Days of Old Earth is a turn-based strategy game set in a far future world where the sun is dying. The remnants of humanity must migrate once a generation towards the equator where it is still warm enough to sustain life.
Spiritual successor to the cult classic PC game Armageddon Empires, Last Days of Old Earth invites you to become the leader of the human Skywatchers or the robotic Automata, two fundamentally opposed factions. In a hostile environment, where natural resources are almost depleted, you must fight your way to survive for one more turn. With scarcity goes rivalry, and only the law of the wild applies in this icy and desolate world.
Sounds like a nice place to visit. The beta is fairly advanced for an Early Access game:
- Explore the frost-covered ruins of the far future, discovering settlements and ruined cities, as well as satellites and space stations that have crashed back down to Earth. Discover and exploit resources to build your armies and defeat your opponents.
- Play as the Skywatchers Clan, the last inheritors of the once-great human legacy, or as the mysterious Automata, the robotic sentinels created by a vanished civilization for an unknown purpose - two different factions with very different play-styles.
- Play with powerful pre-selected army deck: tough Northwalk Veteran infantry, ancient Bearcat Landship tanks, the city-sized VN Walker mecha and many more.
- Use terrain to your advantage! Climb hills and mountains to gain increased line of sight, and hide in forests and ruins to shield your forces from attack.
- Fight your opponent’s army in thrilling turn-based battles, where smart tactics and clever deployment can tilt the odds, even against foes with superior numbers.
- Deploy 24 unique heroes to lead your armies with powerful game-twisting special abilities.
- Over 60 special abilities to attach to your heroes and units. Combine them within your armies to discover the best synergies for your play style.
- A skirmish mode that uses a randomly-generated map system, offering a different theatre of war every single game.
- Challenging but 100% fair AI opponents.
- A rich multiplayer offering, to take the hard-earned skills from single player, into the online arena.
And, many major updates are planned down the road:
- Deck-Building Update: Full deck-building mode, to select precisely which cards you want to bring to the fight. Tailor decks around your favourite units and heroes, then take on opponents both online and off.
- Stealth Update: The introduction of Stealth, which will add sabotage, assassination, and more to the game. Infiltrate enemy bases with new units and heroes to sabotage key facilities and disrupt your opponent's best-laid plans. Then deploy Sentinel units to uncover the enemy's own hidden forces.
- Air Update: Air Strike, Anti-Air Defence, and Air Recon abilities: new gameplay mechanics and 4 brand new units join the fight, bringing exciting new tactical possibilities!
- Story Update: Introducing a full, story-driven, mission-based single player campaign, revealing more about the Skywatchers and their desperate struggle for survival against the Automata.
I'm guessing that you want to try it out after reading all that. I don't blame you. You can head to Steam now and pick it up for $25.