EICJoe

Letter from the Editor – February 7th, 2017

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Hello everyone! It's been a while – hope you all had a good Christmas, New Year, January etc... etc...? Here's an update on what's been happening recently.

Community Update

You may have noticed things have gotten awfully quiet around here. In case there is anyone left who doesn't know – Dave, Kelsey and a few of the other 'old regulars' have formed a new website called Stately Play.

A lot of people have found a new home there for various reasons, leading to a massive fall-off in activity here. Given everything that's happened, this is not entirely unexpected, although it's a shame to see everyone go. Tournament activity especially has essentially ground to a halt here, so please contact Rob if you have any concerns.

We hope to breath new life into the community here one way or another, but it will be a slow process. If you have any comments, ideas or suggestions, please do not hesitate to share :)

Strategy Gamer

Some of you may have heard whispers of this, some of you may not have. I think Dave spoke about it a bit in early 2016. Basically it's happening now – within a few months, we'll have a third website for you to browse.

The third website will focus mainly on mainstream strategy games, and will be taking a more information-based approach. More on this later.

This will halt any plans for PT/WG for the short-term sadly, but I will make sure I keep as even a focus as possible across all three sites.

Part-Timer

Further to this, I'm also looking to hire a part-time person and expand the freelance pool a little bit more to make sure each website has a could body of writers submitting content. This is all dependant on budget, of course, but hopefully you'll start seeing a few more faces around here.

That's it for this week's update. Let me know if you have any questions!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com

cnahr

Re: Letter from the Editor – February 7th, 2017

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks for the update. It's very decent of you to link to the new website. I'll check it out to be sure but I'll also keep following Pocket Tactics and Wargamer. The more the merrier!

biffpow

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks for the update, Joe : ) Like cnahr, I say the more the merrier. There's still a lot to enjoy here, IMO. Curious to see what the new site will cover. What's an example of a "mainstream strategy game", just our of curiosity?

Some ideas for ways to broaden the coverage and audience:

--Consider giving coverage to kickstarters for apps
--Look at some of the blurbs Nick does in his Numbers update every week and determine whether any might merit a full article treatment
--For a short time on the site, there were Pro/Con reviews--with two reviewers each stating their (often opposing) case about a game. Maybe try this again for bigger releases (Fire Emblem, perhaps)
--Give (short) reviews to significant new content updates to apps (especially if they're add-ons for purchase or alter the gameplay in a serious way)
--Interviews with game designers can be interesting if they're not softball/fluff
--Weekly or bi-weekly check-ins on strategy and meta for certain popular games (HS is an obvious example, but there's also MTG:PQ and others). I realize this is a crowded field in some ways, but one of the main attributes PT has going for it at this moment is the strength of some of its writers, and this kind of article also has more potential to fuel comments.
--Finally, consider articles that look at apps and compare them to their physical board game version, taking a sort of pro/con approach. The physical version of Mysterium, for example, would triumph, but what about Agricola or Elder Sign? Potion Explosion?

Hope there's something useful here!

Wintern

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:12 pm

The new site seems to be public already.
Curiosity is not a sin webbsakerhet

EICJoe

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Wintern wrote:The new site seems to be public already.

Yes it is :) we're still testing a few things and putting on the finishing touches. The site is technically live but not active right now.

Will let you guys know when we're launching officially.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com

Return to “Announcements”