admin
Site Admin

The Grand Adventure: An Interview with Wadjet Eye CEO Dave Gilbert

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Once upon a time there was a locked door. Nothing would open it, and we had nothing to help open it: no keys, crowbars or sledgehammers.

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/the-grand-adventure-an-interview-with-wadjet-eye-ceo-dave-gilbert/

Zenish

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 pm

"faint echoes in hidden object and room escape games"

I can also hear faint echoes in rogue-like games. In my youth, I would have thought nothing of devoting hours to a play-through, having my character die, and then starting all over from the beginning. Rogue-likes require the same kind of mindset and dedication as old adventure games.

I realize for some people the journey *is* the destination, but my gaming time is so limited and sporadic that if I don't feel like I'm making significant progress, I'll turn to another game.

To my horror, I think I'm turning into a casual gamer. I even find myself choosing the Easy difficulty on some games (most recently, Pillars of Eternity), just to smooth the progression, when in my youth I wouldn't have been caught dead on Easy.

Ugh.

Neo42

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:39 pm

I played the Hitchhikers to the Galaxy game. I got somewhere. Maybe. Maybe I used the hint system A LOT. This was back on an apple 2e, I think.

astrogirl

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:25 pm

I remember playing Hitchhikers when it first came out. It wasn't the Babelfish that tied me up though, no. It was when you got on the Heart of Gold and needed to have Tea and No Tea at the same time. It was probably something simple. I can't remember now, but it drove me bonkers trying to figure that out.

I don't think I have ever played a Wadjet Eye game. In my youth, it was Sierra adventure games that were the thing. Police Quest, Kings Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry etc. We all thought Leisure Suit Larry was so risque. Ha. I'll have to check out the Wadjet Eye ones.

I agree though, about the challenges of puzzles. It took me forever to finish Police Quest when I was a teenager because there was no internet. There was nowhere to get help really. But today I don't feel like I want to spend weeks and months on a single puzzle in a game. I want the story to progress at a reasonable pace and getting stuck on a puzzle for more than a couple of days holds the story up.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”