admin
Site Admin

Review: Panzer Battles Normandy

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:00 pm

I’ve recently been reading a book chronicling thesix month tour of duty in Helmand, Afghanistan conducted by Royal Marines Commandos in 06’.

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-panzer-battles-normandy/

Strela

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:20 am

Sean,

Thank you for the review.

I wanted to clarify a few inaccuracies in your commentary. Pinned or demoralised are not in game as unit states. Disrupted and Broken are the two states. Units do have morale ratings that change but they are not explicit.

Having the Getting Started scenarios 'on rails' as you call them out is intended. It's hard to explain how to use the various game functions (movement, firing, calling in artillery/air) without showing players the sequence of events. The actual game play is sufficiently different to prior Tiller titles to warrant this explicit approach.

For playability we have included a range of branching campaigns and variable scenarios that give players much more control over their objectives and setup each time they play. This increases the replayability significantly of various scenarios.

The various minor nations you mentioned that were unsighted (Free French, Free Polish, Free Belgians) are all in game and have scenarios for them. In addition the Free Dutch are also included.

Finally, for those still on the fence, the Panzer Battles Demo has been released and that is a good introduction to the game system.

David

SeanICBM

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Hey David,

I read your comment and went over the article with my editor, Joe. Long story short is that I indeed made a few mistakes so I'll go through them to clear the air.

1) Your game is BIG like I mentioned in the review. Whilst I tried to take in as much as I could I simply couldn't play every scenario nor take in all the info from each one. But those minor nations are indeed in the game and the article has been edited to reflect that.

2)The innaccuracies regarding pinned and demorilised unit is simply a slip of the tongue on my part and I ended up using a gereral term rather than ones you have in game.

3)The amount of replayability depends on the scenario and but the campaigns do lend themselves better to succesive playthroughs.

4) I have to agree to disagree on the subject of the tuturiols. Whilst I can understand the wish to make absolutely sure players understand the game I still feel your engine and UI explains themselves fairly well provided you look around. (though I'm not saying your wrong to do it the way you do as you are the game developer here)

Lastly the demo is great for anyone reading (though Bill already said so) and I apologise for any harm or offence caused as it was in no way intended.

Sean Couture

Strela

Re: Review: Panzer Battles Normandy

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:39 am

Hi Sean,

Firstly, absolutely no offence taken. It's nice to be able to clear up any errors or misconceptions. That said, all credit to yourself and Joe for the very fast response to my initial post.

I agree with you that some items such as tutorials are all personal preference, I was just highlighting the rationale on why they are as 'structured' as they are.

I appreciate you doing the review in the first place, Normandy is probably our biggest ever title and you probably won't see us release something of that scale again - it definitely wasn't for the fainthearted reviewer....! :D

David

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”