admin
Site Admin

Gettysburg: The Tide Turns Info and Trailer

Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Some in the south say the American Civil War never ended. If the crop of divisional and tactical wargames we've had the pleasure of playing in recent years is any...

http://www.wargamer.com/news/gettysburg-the-tide-turns/

Kolbex

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:37 pm

Particularly intriguing to me as a backer of the Kickstarter is that this was not posted as an update there, so I would not have even known about it if I hadn't seen it here.

Alex Connolly

Re:

Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:39 am

Kolbex wrote:Particularly intriguing to me as a backer of the Kickstarter is that this was not posted as an update there, so I would not have even known about it if I hadn't seen it here.

I'm not a Civil War buff, or even know much beyond the cultural custard skin, but who could deny a Shenandoah effort?

Kolbex

Re: Gettysburg: The Tide Turns Info and Trailer

Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Alex Connolly wrote:
Kolbex wrote:Particularly intriguing to me as a backer of the Kickstarter is that this was not posted as an update there, so I would not have even known about it if I hadn't seen it here.

I'm not a Civil War buff, or even know much beyond the cultural custard skin, but who could deny a Shenandoah effort?

The only thing I'm denying is that it's been a well-run Kickstarter effort. There have been a number of rather large KS fumbles that have discouraged me from ever backing any video game on KS ever again, and this is one of them. The game may turn out to be wonderful; who knows. At this point I would not even be very surprised to find myself without a copy when it releases.

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Kolbex wrote:
Alex Connolly wrote:

The only thing I'm denying is that it's been a well-run Kickstarter effort. There have been a number of rather large KS fumbles that have discouraged me from ever backing any video game on KS ever again, and this is one of them. The game may turn out to be wonderful; who knows. At this point I would not even be very surprised to find myself without a copy when it releases.

I've been pretty gunshy about Kickstarter, never having backed a thing. Early Access? No problem. Pre-alpha buy-ins? No problem. But that type of investment has never sat well - despite stories like yours being thankfully in the minority, from what I gather.

Was it simply the big switch up away from 32bit processing on touch devices? I don't know if there's a concurrent release for both versions...

Kolbex

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:19 am

Alex Connolly wrote:
Kolbex wrote:
Alex Connolly wrote:

I've been pretty gunshy about Kickstarter, never having backed a thing. Early Access? No problem. Pre-alpha buy-ins? No problem. But that type of investment has never sat well - despite stories like yours being thankfully in the minority, from what I gather.

Was it simply the big switch up away from 32bit processing on touch devices? I don't know if there's a concurrent release for both versions...

I don't know if anybody knows at this point. When I backed it I did so for iOS. However, that was a long time ago, and I no longer want it for iOS, as my iPad 3 isn't getting any younger, and I don't really plan to replace it. The beta is being done on PC, and I hope to receive it for that platform. As far as the extra "strat guide" stretch goal I ponied up an additional $15 for, I will be surprised to see it happen. Even if it does, I will be unsurprised to see it end up like the similar-sounding thing from Battle of the Bulge which was pitched as a KS exclusive but later showed up as a (I believe significantly cheaper) in-app purchase.

Board game kickstarters have produced a lot of success stories, but in my (jaundiced) opinion, video game Kickstarters have been almost universally failures of one kind or another, with the exception of FTL.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”