admin
Site Admin

Hearts of Iron IV Review Part One: Road to War

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Grand strategy games have always had two components: civilian and military. Although intertwined, one part usually dominants the other.

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/hearts-of-iron-iv-review-part-one-road-to-war/

Curious

Re: Hearts of Iron IV Review Part One: Road to War

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:03 am

From the review: "...if players want to stockpile resources." From reading the forums over at PDX I get the distinct impression that it is not possible to stockpile resources in HOI4. Have I gotten a mistaken impression of the situation and it is possible to stockpile resources in HOI4? Looking forward to the next installment of this review of HOI4.

The Fox

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:58 am

You can't stockpile the resources but it is possible to stockpile the goods they produce.
E.g. : you have produced 1000 tanks and you build divisions that use 800 tanks -> you still have a reserve of 200 tanks to replace you losses or use in new divisions.

EICJoe

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:24 am

Resources have been simplified a lot more in HoI 4 - You either have a plus or negative amount of resources... a bit like Civilisation I guess, just with larger numbers. Components for army units require certain resources to make, so e.g. you have 8 steel. Starting a production line with two factories making, say, tanks, requires 4 steel. You then drop to having 4 steel.

If you go into negative of a resource, factories will stop working properly and you won't be able to build the components you need.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Bismarck

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:40 pm

My bad, maybe, but, when I trade for more resources, than I need, the "Flashing Box of Penury" doesn't flash as often - hence, stockpiling..
Jim Cobb

EICJoe

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:21 pm

Bismarck wrote:My bad, maybe, but, when I trade for more resources, than I need, the "Flashing Box of Penury" doesn't flash as often - hence, stockpiling..

Don't worry about it Jim, it's more a matter of how you phrase it. I suppose you are 'stockpiling' in one sense of the word, but I was mainly clarifying because it's a different system than what was used in Hearts of Iron 3 - there, you spent resources the same as you would spend currency, so you did in fact 'stockpile' reserves of resources to spend in a crisis.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”