admin
Site Admin

Opinion: Does Technology Represent Wargaming's Salvation?

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:00 pm

Wargamer has recently been discussing the future of table wargaming, especially in regards to miniatures. Field of Glory legend Richard Bodley-Scott (RBS) postulates that its demise is “inevitable”, while Bill...

http://www.wargamer.com/news/opinion-does-technology-represent-wargamings-salvation/

Bismarck

Re: Opinion: Does Technology Represent Wargaming's Salvation?

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:33 pm

Nice trilogy but I would point out that the authors are talking tactical levels. I hold that true innovation in board and computer gaming lies in operational and strategic scales. We've seen more innovation in the last twelve months the - Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa; Hearts of Iron IV - than in any tactical game. To become something more than a beer-and-pretzel niche, wargaming must have educational value and that can only be done with higher levels of thought and mental engagement.
Jim Cobb

uncajerf

Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:17 am

Hi, Bismarck,

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. Your reference to "trilogy" must be to the two articles I quoted plus mine, but as for "tactical levels" and "higher levels of thought and tactical engagement" -- colour me baffled.

Can you enlighten?

JRR

Bismarck

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:37 am

Simple. Every game and concept mentioned refers to small unit combat; we call that "tactical". Running a war or a country requires larger units and resource management - "operational" and "strategic".

Actually, JRR, I'm agreeing with you as only computers can easily handle games of operational and strategic magnitude. After my break, I'll write a "Case in Point" piece laying out my thoughts.
Jim Cobb

uncajerf

Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:24 am

Ohh... OK.

Thanx for that, Jim. :)

Jeff

dirkgently

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:08 pm

I'm far from convinced computer gaming will supplant tabletop wargaming, at least at the more casual end of the market. It's a bit like predicting the Nintendo Wii will replace golf. Sure, you can replicate some of the look and the rules interactions, but fundamentally wargaming is a social event where you hang out with your friends and roll dice. You might get that with AR, eventually, but not with straight-up computer games. More than that, the increased friction of setting up and playing a tabletop wargame itself makes the game more memorable and exciting - it raises the stakes, because you can't play all that often. So the increased convenience of an AR gaming setup - its fundamental selling point - would actually detract from the experience.

uncajerf

Re:

Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:58 am

dirkgently wrote:I'm far from convinced computer gaming will supplant tabletop wargaming, at least at the more casual end of the market. It's a bit like predicting the Nintendo Wii will replace golf. Sure, you can replicate some of the look and the rules interactions, but fundamentally wargaming is a social event where you hang out with your friends and roll dice. You might get that with AR, eventually, but not with straight-up computer games. More than that, the increased friction of setting up and playing a tabletop wargame itself makes the game more memorable and exciting - it raises the stakes, because you can't play all that often. So the increased convenience of an AR gaming setup - its fundamental selling point - would actually detract from the experience.

Hi, dirkgently,

I'm not predicting that computers will "supplant" tabletop gaming. I am suggesting that technology will continue to evolve and meld genres, so that they augment one another. As you suggest, I tried to make the point that -- perhaps badly -- computers cannot replicate the social aspect for those who like to get together F2F (other than as a hotseat platform).

As for what exactly constitutes 'wargaming', well, that's what we're all trying to explore here, no? ;)

Thanx for your reply!

JRR

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”