admin
Site Admin

New Warhammer 40K Tactical Wargame Announced - Sanctus Reach

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:26 am

Slitherine & Matrix Games have just announced a new title set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe - Sanctus Reach!

http://www.wargamer.com/news/new-warhammer-40k-tactical-wargame-announced-sanctus-reach/

largevisiblemachine

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:27 pm

Looks very nice, what other games will be using the "Archon" engine? And what is it?

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:32 pm

largevisiblemachine wrote:Looks very nice, what other games will be using the "Archon" engine? And what is it?

Well, while a lot of people license game engines like Unity et al because most of the work has been done for them, a lot of companies will build their own proprietary engine that will power a lot their games. Archon is the new engine Slitherine have made for their games going forward (not all of them, as some of their partner studios have their own engines as well).

Think of it when Creative Assembly upgraded their engine between Medieval Total War & Rome: Total War.

No other games that I'm aware of are confirmed to be using this new engine at the moment, but expect to see more going forward.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

kondor999

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:20 am

Why doesn't someone just do a straight conversion of the miniature rules? Look at the brilliant Battlefleet Gothic: Leviathan. It's vastly better than the fancy RTS-ified BFG Armada. Having played the tabletop versions of these games for years, I can tell you they're exquisitely balanced, playable and *fun*. Why do these companies insist on trying to reinvent the wheel?

Private Prinny

Re:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:27 pm

kondor999 wrote:Why doesn't someone just do a straight conversion of the miniature rules? Look at the brilliant Battlefleet Gothic: Leviathan. It's vastly better than the fancy RTS-ified BFG Armada. Having played the tabletop versions of these games for years, I can tell you they're exquisitely balanced, playable and *fun*. Why do these companies insist on trying to reinvent the wheel?

Because sadly BFG:A has more blingbling......basically it isa the same with Dawn of War over Chaos Gate and Space Wolf ;-/

People want more shiney blingbling in their games nowadays....also if matchtimes and click-counters are an indicator its only for the adraline-laden ads-gimme-ma-satisfaction NOW-crowd......

I left the RTS MP scene with WC3...and only returned to it with likeminded friends on a few occasions

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”