admin
Site Admin

First Look: Naval Action

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Age of Sail games are few and far between for reasons unknown. The last really good one was Akella’s Age of Sail II: Privateer’s Bounty although Shrapnel Games’ Salvo! came close.

http://www.wargamer.com/news/secret-wargames-naval-action/

Mikeck

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:22 pm

How can you say "Master and Commander: Far Side of the World" was a "terrible, terrible movie?" Excluding my own subjective opinions (I love it..and I read all of Obriens books) the movie was nominated for 10 Academy awards including "Best Picture", "Best Director" and "Best Cinematography".
Last edited by Mikeck on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikeck

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Good review though. I'm VERY interested but I can't do Multi-player only games.

Edit: I see now there is a PvE server where humans cannot attack you. That's close enough for me. Bot !

EICJoe

Re:

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:33 am

Mikeck wrote:How can you say "Master and Commander: Far Side of the World" was a "terrible, terrible movie?" Excluding my own subjective opinions (I love it..and I read all of Obriens books) the movie was nominated for 10 Academy awards including "Best Picture", "Best Director" and "Best Cinematography".

Because Russel Crowe has a fight at the beginning, which he loses, then kind of stumbles around the South American coast not doing much, then there's a fight at the end, and then the film ends... on a cliffhanger! It's rubbish :P
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Bismarck

Re: First Look: Naval Action

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Opinions voiced by the editor are not necessarily those of management. :(
Jim Cobb

Mikeck

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Mikeck wrote:How can you say "Master and Commander: Far Side of the World" was a "terrible, terrible movie?" Excluding my own subjective opinions (I love it..and I read all of Obriens books) the movie was nominated for 10 Academy awards including "Best Picture", "Best Director" and "Best Cinematography".

Because Russel Crowe has a fight at the beginning, which he loses, then kind of stumbles around the South American coast not doing much, then there's a fight at the end, and then the film ends... on a cliffhanger! It's rubbish

Well he's not "doing nothing "while stumbling about. He's actively hunting for the French frigate after it ambushes him for a second time. The movie is about the crew and their life aboard the ship itself. So because it's not "Fast and the Furious 6: far side of the world" it sucks? It is a bit slow in the middle and you may not have enjoyed it but it's certainly not terrible!

Oh well, not the point of the article anyway. I did buy naval action because of this review and I've been enjoying it. The graphics are just amazing. I am so glad that somebody actually designed cannon firing so that it actually looks like a cannon firing instead of Little puffs of smoke. It actually looks like an explosion powerful enough to throw a 24 pound iron ball 400 yards.

Blazis

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:08 pm

If Naval Action could include individual historical scenarios, circa 1750-1830, with accompanying mission editor it couldn't but significantly increase interest and its user base. Online arena has its benefits and also its obvious draw backs. As for Steam itself, as seen with Rise of Flight, I am sure many would agree that they'd rather not necessarily require a middle man.

The Fox

Re: Naval Action

Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:10 am

Blazis wrote:If Naval Action could include individual historical scenarios, circa 1750-1830, with accompanying mission editor it couldn't but significantly increase interest and its user base.

It would already be in my library it they did just that.

If people want to play a (grinding ?) campaign they can but it just it not for me.
People could use the mission editor to create battles and then distribute them to everyone with the Steam Workshop.
I'm certain this would increase the rather small player base.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”