admin
Site Admin

Review: Rise of Flight

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:48 pm

What would you get if you took the classic flight sim IL-2 Sturmovik, pumped it full of steroids, then turned back the clock a bit to 1914? You’d get the...

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-rise-of-flight/

DeRuyter66

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Bill you mentioned that ROF works well with a mouse. Does this mean you can fly reasonably well using just a mouse? I always had the impression that ROF was in the sim/joystick only category!

The Fox

Re: Review: Rise of Flight

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:16 am

Maybe it is possible, but I think few people will play these sims without a joystick.

But to start playing you don't need a $300 HOTAS Warthog.
As I am only a casual simmer, I am quite happy with my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick that sells for $40 on Amazon.

DeRuyter66

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Thank you. I don't want an elaborate Flight sim set up so that Logitech stick sounds just right!

Vorenus81

Re: Review: Rise of Flight

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:25 pm

I have 150 hrs under my belt in RoF, so I will allow myself to add a few words to this review.
First of all, RoF is actually the one and only Great World War flying sim (excluding Wings over Flanders, which is quite old and not even available on Steam) so it makes this game unique in it’s own way.
I fully agree with all pros of this game mentioned in the review, there are however some cons worth mentioning as well, on which I will focus on.
One of the major flaws, is that the developers have completely abandoned any development of this game (and moved on to IL-2), so there are few bugs here and there (i.e. your pilot doesn't get captured after forced to land deep behind enemy lines).
Another thing is single player mode. Even though the career mode is quite interesting compared to any other sim titles (especially when you play in “dead is dead” mode, when you finish your campaign after your pilot gets killed) it gets boring after some time. It’s very satisfying to watch your pilot climbing up the rank of aces, but after over dozen of sorties you realize that it’s only random mission generator. If you want to enhance your single player experience there’s Pat Wilson’s Campaign Generator, which is great tool that adds great variety to campaign (it throws totaly different missions at player and enhance realism further, by introducing aerial victories confirmation system, new fronts etc.). Also, additional single player campaigns can be purchased separately.
Graphics are still ok (especially meticulously detailed plane models) but on the ground level, it shows it’s age (low res textures).
This Game spreads it’s wing and shows it’s full potential only with few DLC’s installed, of which Channel Battles is obligatory, as it adds much bigger map and very interesting planes like Hansa Brandenburg W12 and Felixstowe FA2 flying boat.
Last flaw which I have observed is the lack of any actual war going on below you. The front is completely static (I know it was quite static during I WW but still not as much as depicted in the game) and player quickly gets the feeling of flying his own personal war in the skies (against randomly generated enemies) without any impact on the events and landscape below, which are only esthetic background. However, the latter is applicable to all fly sims currently or the market, so I guess it’s not a major flaw.
Neverthelss, it’a a very good game and offers the best WW I flying experience currently available on the market (although some sequel with major improvements and refreshed graphics would be highly appreciated), but since WW I flying sims are niche within niche, there’s almost no alternative.
Last, but not least. RoF has great community of veterans who are very polite and helpful to newcomers and aren’t reluctant to answer Noob’s questions
There’s also wide selection of community made guides and instructions on Steam Workshop which can really help newcomers to get the grip on the game.
P.S. Don’t let the last mission of training campaign discourage you :)

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”