admin
Site Admin

Review: Scourge of War: Quatre Bras

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Quatre Bras was one of Napoleon’s two incomplete victories two days before Waterloo. The other, Ligny, saw the French holding the field but allowing a significant portion of the Prussian...

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-scourge-of-war-quatre-bras/

AP514

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:40 pm

These games could have been so GREAT ! !
I could really get into these games if they would only Fix the Conga Lines the formations keep doing..OVER AND OVER and.....It just wrecks the whole experience.

This Problem has been noted in all of theses games from way back into the Civil War series

DeRuyter66

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:22 pm

I agree AP - pretty steep learning curve as well.

Have you looked at the Kreigspiel forum? They have some SOW mods which may help with the formation problems.

http://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/f32-scourge-of-war

McHugh

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 am

I bought SOW Gettysburg when it was first released by NorbSoft and played it for a few months including a couple of online sessions with a friend. However I haven't played it for a couple of years and didn't purchase any of the additional civil war titles or SOW Waterloo.

The only reason I don't play any of the games in the SOW series is that they cannot be played by PBEM. I have been playing the Combat Mission series for years by PBEM which uses the WEGO system. Both players plot the movement and actions of their units followed by the resolution of one minute of game time.

In my opinion it is like a real time game broken down in to one minute segments. For civil war and napoleonic era games such as the ones in the SOW series I would increase the time segment to five minutes. Both players plot their actions and movement followed by the resolution of the next five minutes.

It is obviously much more convenient to be able to play a game by pbem and you can also view whatever parts of the battlefield in your line of sight using the replay of the segment.

I posted the question about adding pbem on the SOW Gettysburg forum years ago and the reply from the developers was that it was not being considered. It works very well in the Combat Mission series so I would definitely purchase more games in the SOW series if they do add PBEM.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”