admin
Site Admin

Magnesia – Field of Glory II as History

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:50 pm

The computer game Field of Glory II (FOG2) has been out for a while now, and not only have accolades been as thick as thieves, but several online or email...

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/magnesia-field-of-glory-ii-as-history/

Bismarck

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:27 pm

What would have happened if you'd put your heavy cav in the center for one mad rush followed by the infantry?

DeRuyter66

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Often cavalry will break off from infantry rather than stay for prolonged melee - unless they can disorder the infantry. So heavy cavalry against legions in the center may not do much.

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: Magnesia – Field of Glory II as History

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:55 pm

I was trying to play the game as close to historical reality as possible, and since they didn't do it that way back in 190 BC, neither did I. In a related point, once a unit goes into combat, its a real bitch trying to withdraw it.

On the do as the Romans do comment, my impression is that the Romans and others tried to keep a continuous line and fight it out in a slugging match, rather than maneuver individual Centuries and Maniples like they are Maseratis. I know that when I do that it does seem to confound the AI a bit, but eventually a free for all does rear its ugly head.

I am really chomping at the bit to play Alesia, but I have 1859 Risorgimento Italians to paint.

Ciao (or is it Ave!!!), Colonel Bill

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”