admin
Site Admin

The Tactical Art of Combat - The Next Catch-All Combat King?

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:50 pm

How close do you like your combat? Perhaps measured at the Atomic level? That's what the newly marshaled Tackom studio are asking with their upcoming effort, The Tactical Art of Combat.

http://www.wargamer.com/news/the-tactical-art-of-combat-the-next-catch-all-combat-king/

Alfy

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:26 pm

I had checked their website and forums, and I'm really surprised by how they will repeatedly mention Close Combat and Graviteams and systematically omit Combat Mission.
I mean Close Combat at this point is still running a basically a two decades old engine (we'll see when that next 3D iteration comes out) with a lot of holes in it, and while Graviteams has done a smashing job, it's still not quite there yet.
So despite all its quirks and an engine that is also getting a bit dated, you would think Battlefront's Combat Mission is the one to beat. Especially as that series already has an applauded episode based in Italy (Forteress Italy, its extension, Gustav Line, and a second extension is due this year).
Well, TAC's pictures look pretty, and it promises everything every WWII tactical sim game has always promised, so obviously it'll come short, but it'll be nice to see new blood coming to this particular scene.

Alex Connolly

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:06 pm

You're not wrong. I thought CM would have been the first port of call for reference. We'll see what happens.

CGGrognard

Re: The Tactical Art of Combat - The Next Catch-All Combat King?

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:06 pm

I hope so, but it's only be the Catch-All Combat King if there's plenty of variety available. Even though the CC series focused on the US and German battles of the Second World War, it's the player mods that made the series last this long, in my opinion.

Alex Connolly

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:06 am

Which is where I'm a touch concerned. Perhaps it was just clumsy wording related to Unity modding, but if they can work up a good suite for modders and scenario creators, it would put a lot of weight behind their claims.

Plus, ease of use and installation. Particularly in the age of Steam Workshop etc.

ravensworth

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:22 pm

I also think the Close Combat system was much more accurate in terms of gun penetration and details. If you go to mod the game you can see those things.

Modding Combat Mission you don't see the detail as it deals in much larger range bands. Tanks in Combat Mission tend to Pop very quickly at the start of an engagement. I love the system but the detail for squad level combat is not really what is was best at. It was much better at larger scale actions.

cdcool007

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:21 pm

Combat Mission is the one to beat for realistic real-time military simulations.

Alex Connolly

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:33 pm

I'm interested in seeing what's available on the operational side of things, and how detailed that part will be.

Nomada_Firefox

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:15 am

Better no the Atomic level because at the end, it was a very poor level. We can not forget how all the Close Combat games from Atomic had a very poor IA and more bad things. But it does not look as a Close Combat, it looks more as a Theatre of War clone.

Few screenshots showed, most of them are the picture taken from the same position.

In the same way, the features, things as "Intuitive Interface ??? GUI", where?, how?, players must judge it.

Alex Connolly

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:54 am

Early days, many questions, bold claims.

I was immediately struck by the Theatre of War visual comparison, too.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”