admin
Site Admin

Situation Report: Steel Division: Normandy ’44

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:30 pm

We’re coming up on six months since the launch of Steel Division: Normandy ’44, and in that time, we’ve seen a host of changes, large and small, to Eugen Systems...

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/situation-report-steel-division-normandy-44/

Bismarck

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Very nice job!

madorosh

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Is there a decent compare/contrast to the Combat Mission series somewhere? This was a good article but would also be interested in learning more about whether I should replace all my CM content that was lost in a hard drive crash, or start fresh with this system.

DeRuyter66

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:26 pm

If I recall correctly CM is not RTS, rather turn based you issue orders and then play the turn out. That would be a critical different IMO. Also in SD you spend a lot of time zoomed out issuing orders.

I can say one thing after looking at the new CM offerings - SD costs far less $$ !

ianboudreau

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:33 pm

Is there a decent compare/contrast to the Combat Mission series somewhere? This was a good article but would also be interested in learning more about whether I should replace all my CM content that was lost in a hard drive crash, or start fresh with this system.

Unfortunately, Madorosh, I don't have any first-hand experience with Combat Mission, so I can't do a fair comparison of the games. My sense though is that Steel Division is much less focused on simulation and is more a wargame-speed RTS, and what you're giving up in realism you gain in sheer scale and visual fidelity. You don't get a huge variety of historical missions, and assembling your battlegroups is fun but very gamey -- essentially you're putting together a deck of unit cards based on point values.

So I think it'll largely be a personal call as to which is preferable, but I would strongly recommend Steel Division on its own merits.

Bismarck

Re: Situation Report: Steel Division: Normandy ’44

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:51 pm

CM can be either RTS or turn-based and is more detailed in mechanics and play than SD.
Jim Cobb

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”