admin
Site Admin

Review: Art De La Guerre (3rd Edition)

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:30 pm

I’ve reviewed recently the latest edition of Field of Glory (FOG) Ancient’s rules, and this has re-sparked an interest in me for this wargaming era.

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-art-de-la-guerre-3rd-edition/

DeRuyter66

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Great review. ADLG has taken over the tournament scene at least on the US East Coast and HMGS events. In my view ADLG has streamlined what came before leading to shorter game times and in most cases less headache inducing tournament rounds (after 2 games of FOG my brain was fried!). I did like FOG but all my FOG play is now on the PC version.

I would have to point out one inaccuracy because it makes ADLG seem too simplified. The shooter can modify the Protection value of the target based on the weapon, so a longbow gives -1 Protection. Also a Pavise gives +1. Similarly in melee you can have weapon based modifiers to the rolls - better armor or heavy weapons for example.

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: Review: Art De La Guerre (3rd Edition)

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Correct, but here I need to get everything in at 2 to 2 1/2 pages or the boss threatens to tie me down and make me watch the movie Zulu for the rest of my life :shock: ! I can't put in every detail, so here I simplified to get across the point that ADLG is WAAAY less complex than FOG and other systems.

BTW, do I know you??? Obviously I'm at all the HMGS East cons as well.

Regards, Colonel Bill

DeRuyter66

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Possibly by sight as I have been going to HMGS events since the early 90s - I am often playing in the ADLG (previously FOG or Warhammer Ancients) tournaments. I believe I saw you stopping by the Two Fat Lardies games at Fall-In (Saturday). I am pretty sure I have played in an "Age of Eagles" game or two a number of years ago.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”