Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Guardians of Graxia Released - Impressions Included

Page 1 of 3 :

20 OCT 2010 at 5:19am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

As already noted, it's available through GamersGate for $10.  I'm sure Steam and D2D will be following before too long. So far I played the first campaign mission, which serves as the tutorial.  Other than the lack of any kind of cutscene, this does not feel like a budget title.  You play on a floating map made up of squares (5x5 in the tutorial, I don't know if there are any other sizes). Moving a unit onto a square give you control, and each square you control generates mana at the end of the turn.  Each grid also has attack and defense bonuses (plains are good for cavalry, etc).  One unit can occupy a square at a time. At the start of a match you get 1 Guardian (hero unit) and a small pool of mana for hiring your starting units.  Turns are broken into two phases - Movement and combat.  During the movement phase, in addition to moving units, you can use their special abilities (some have magic attacks, some can summon additional units, etc) and play spell cards. When one side moves into a square occupied by the other, there is a battle resolved in the combat phase. In the combat phase, before the battle ever plays out, each play an play spell cards that serve to buff and debuff.  What's nice is that there is a display at the top of the screen that shows how each card played will affect the outcome of the battle. Cards are played face up, and when both players have passed, there is one more round where a "sacrifice" card is played face down. After all cards have been played, the battle is resolved. So far, my only concern is replayability.  The game ships with one campaign made up of the tutorial and 5 scenarios, and 4 more stand-alone scenarios. There is no editor or random map generator, and, from what I can see, the maps are pre-set.  I don't know how random the cards are that you draw - I'll have to try the same scenario a couple of times to see. Looking at the in-game manual, there appears to be quite a bit more depth that what was revealed in the tutorial, but for $10, I'm giving this a preliminary thumbs-up.

Profile Search

20 OCT 2010 at 5:41am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

It plays like a marriage of Magic the Gathering, Elven Legacy,  and that Panzer General game for the X-Box. The graphics for a budget game like this are pretty well done and you can zoom in and turn the map board around to your liking.          It's an IGOUGO type of game. I can see replayability even in the tutorial just like I would in one of the MTG games as cards you draw will be different every game. I haven't checked out the SKIRMISH mode yet but I would assume that allows you to either play random maps or choose maps within the game. I believe it said it had over 240 unit type cards in something I read so that's a lot to see for $9.99          Haven't played enough to give any kudos to the ai and I didn't see any "difficulty" settings before I started the game (that's the only thing I don't like about it so far as we all get good at these games and with no upgrade to difficulty they soon find their way to the game over bin).          Still for $9.99 it looks good and has depth from what I can see and lots of strategy like an MTG game.           EDIT: NO RANDOM MAP GENERATOR! After having checked out the skirmish mode I can confirm there is no random map generator. There are 4 mission maps to choose from.  These missions consist of control with 7 turn game, 8 turn game, 12 turn game and the most a 17 turn game.           I would hope they will include some form of PBEM or TCP/IP type play multiplayer because only a few maps like this will kill replayability even with 240 different unit types or cards. One of my pet peaves is not having to play the same maps over and over in strategy games.

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 6:38am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

The only thing I can say about replayability in the skirmish games is that each Guardian has different units and different special abilities, which gives each of the four maps 12 possible combinations of play.  48 scenarios plus the campaign isn't bad for $10 Still, a difficulty menu and a map editor or random map generator would be nice. It seems like the strategy is going to be in using the right combination of unit/spell/terrain tile to your advantage. One thing I discovered is that in the campaign, there are certain events (not sure what triggers them) that unlock additional cards. One thing I'm definitely not liking is that the matches are all timed, as Wolverine pointed out.

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 6:54am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Yep I never really liked timed missions but for coffee break gaming this could be the ticket.         I can also confirm that this works on Netbooks and very well I might add as I only have a low end one with 1gb of memory right now and that old 940 I think graphics card.         Also I was able to beat the tutorial in 2 turns lol and I really hope the challenge is better the futher in to the game. I see the strategy as being horde mana and keep atk values high. The interesting and fun thing about combat is you are only limited by mana and cards and with lots of mana and cards one battle could turn out to be very interesting in the outcome. The ai is pretty good about reducing my power and giving itself more if it has the mana and cards.         It also looks like you can take retinues into the next battles as you gain exp after most battles of 1 or 2 points to increase atk or def or magic atk or magic def.         After initial play I also give it a thumbs up and a general score of 7.8 to 8.1 to be fair. Had it come with a random map generator I'd probably be giving it 8.8 to 9.1 if the ai proves to be a challenge.

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 7:00am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

lmao Guardians of Graxia just went 10% off at Gamersgate and is now $8.99 the somsobiatches!

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 7:02am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

I can't get upset over $1.

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 7:11am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

lol me either really but I did think it was funny we had to get in a hurry and be first lmao.

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 7:54am

son_of_montfort

Colonel
Colonel

Thanks for the impressions! I think I've over spent and so I'm going to take a pass, despite it all. But I'm glad the initial views are positive!

Son_of_Montfort "Slander is a poison which extinguishes charity, both in the slanderer and in the persons who listen to it." Bernard of Clairvaux

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 8:36am

LongBlade

General
General

Originally Posted By son_of_montfort
Thanks for the impressions! I think I've over spent and so I'm going to take a pass, despite it all. But I'm glad the initial views are positive!
I've got a couple of game keys for the staff if anyone is interested...  =)

I am the Ancien Regime

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 8:57am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

I got my butt kicked in my first game (the scenario where you have to hold the center tile for 3 turns).  I'm not sure yet if it was superior A.I. or my unfamiliarity with the system, but it sure was fun.

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 12:46pm

Tpek

Commander
Commander

Bought it before even getting a chance to read about it here [
]. Since I won't be downloading it now (too busy downloading my copy of Blood Bowl Legendary Edition), can anyone tell me how the gameplay compares to Guardian of Graxia card/board-game? And I do hope they implement MP (including Hotseat), and an editor/generator for missions/scenarios.

Profile Search

20 OCT 2010 at 1:17pm

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Well I don't have the board game but I can say it plays well albeit I wished it had more. Greedy aren't I for $10 worth of game? There's a lot of variety to learn and depth and detail for sure just not many maps.

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 1:27pm

tgb123

Commander
Commander

Never played the card/board game either.  As I posted earlier, with 4 different Guardian/sets of units, there's 12 possible combination for each map, plus the campaign.  For $10 you can't really complain too much.

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 1:32pm

Reich36

Commander
Commander

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... very interesting.[sm=00000619.gif]

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 1:42pm

Sauron

Centurion
Centurion

I just download the game from gamersgate and had it installed but when I run it the game start with all ingame icons named TBL... I cannot play it because EVERY icon is blended by the name TBL so I musst guessing wich icon have what function...Its very weird.

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 2:17pm

Sauron

Centurion
Centurion

It seems I'm not the only one... http://www.petroglyphgames.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14526-problems-with-pc-version-language-version/

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 3:02pm

Manie_de

Centurion
Centurion

Same here (also with the GamersGate version) ! But will this mean we have to wait for a patch to play the game or is there a workaround ? Martin

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 3:34pm

Sauron

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Manie_de
Same here (also with the GamersGate version) ! But will this mean we have to wait for a patch to play the game or is there a workaround ? Martin
From what I read on the petroglyph forum was that we will have to wait until a patch will be released...[
]

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 4:20pm

Manie_de

Centurion
Centurion

At the petroglyph forum they talk about a "future" patch ! Let's hope its in the very near future ... Martin

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 6:24pm

tgb123

Commander
Commander

Once you've activated a portal, how do you use it?  I've tried walking onto the tile, and clicking on the card that appears.  Nothing seems to work.

Profile Search
20 OCT 2010 at 7:51pm

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By tgb123
          Once you've activated a portal, how do you use it?  I've tried walking onto the tile, and clicking on the card that appears.  Nothing seems to work.      
           You have to click your heels together 3 times while saying "There's no place like home" "There's no place like home" "There's no place like home". yeeeeheeeheee   

Profile Search

21 OCT 2010 at 3:07am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Well I discovered why there are no difficulty levels. The ai cheats like hell. I've never seen anyone or anything this lucky in my life. I've been playing the hold the center square for 3 turns game all day long and every game the AI gets ungodly mana cards that gets free mana and gets an arsenal of flame cards that attack 4 consecutive squares for 2 - 3 points of damage each hit.          Then when I finally get what I think is a upper hand it has "every fricking card" to stop my attack, take no damage and prevent me from using a sacrifice card. Then to top it off even when I play the same Guardian as it for some strange reason it is immune to my damage and slaughters my Guardian for awesome amounts of hit points.          I even had a Dragon in one game and it got slaughtered the first turn. How the hell does a ground unit with a sword slaughter a FLYING Dragon? Even Masters of Magic doesn't allow that kind of crap.          But, at least I can say the AI is no pushover it's hard as hell to win against in this particular scenario. It reeeeely knows how to use those cards that it gets by cheating. lol Example nearly every turn I might have 10-15 mana points, the AI has 30-50 oh and yeah it also gets tile bonus mana points. While all my tiles give 1pt and maybe 2 if I'm lucky the majority of its tiles gives 2 and 3 points a round not even adding in the free mana cards it gets. lol           EDIT: Lol on that note above I finally BEAT the somsobiatch. But, you should have seen what it dropped on the map on that final turn. 3 treefolk and two siege catapults just so you know these are pretty powerful units. It had 57 mana to my  17 again of course. I think I finally see the winning strategy now evolving though as the AI didn't even attack after I used it and allowed me to hold the center tile.

Profile Search
21 OCT 2010 at 5:45am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

I'm not convinced the A.I.is cheating - I think there may be more going on under the hood we just don't understand yet. I took a look at the Glossary this morning, and it does a much better job explaining terrain bonuses and spells and abilities than the tool tips do (i.e. you would think hills giving a range bonus means ranged units in a hill tile cold fire further. Actually it means they do an additional point of damage.  And you knew that cavalry got a bonus in plains, but did you know it was 5 Battle Points?  That's pretty significant). Anyhoo, since you can switch back and forth to it easily enough, I'm going to start using it more frequently and see if it helps.  But I agree, the game is pretty freaking hard and unforgiving.

Profile Search
21 OCT 2010 at 8:21am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

I went back and took a look at the "hold the hill" scenario.  The A.I. has immediate access to two cities that generate 7 mana each.  That plus the mana from the other tiles in the first two rows of the A.I.'s side, and it's generating way more than you are.

Profile Search
21 OCT 2010 at 8:47am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By tgb123
I went back and took a look at the "hold the hill" scenario.  The A.I. has immediate access to two cities that generate 7 mana each.  That plus the mana from the other tiles in the first two rows of the A.I.'s side, and it's generating way more than you are.
          Told you so it's cheating. [sm=00000002.gif]           Not only can it afford to buy all the extra spell and creature cards every turn but still have enough for combat and summons as well. Can you imagine a multiplayer game of this map? Why I'd slaughter any and everyone with 4x the mana they get every turn and 2x the combat cards and spell cards. That last drop of 3 treefolk and 2 siege catapults took the cake.           Have you tried any other skirmish scenarios TGB?

Profile Search

Page 1 of 3 :

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic