Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Paradoxical Future

Page 1 of 3 : »

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Paradoxical Future
20 JAN 2011 at 11:47pm

spelk

Commander
Commander

http://www.vg247.com/20...e-black-cove-gettysburg/
Paradox Interactive held its Convention press event in New York City today, revealing its list of products for 2011. It was announced earlier today that Hearts of Iron III was getting an expansion, but there’s more than just that heading your way, PC gamers. Some of the games being highlighted at the event include: [ul]
  • Crusader Kings 2
  • Defenders of Ardania
  • Dreamlords Resurrection
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron
  • King Arthur 2
  • Magicka, Cities in Motion
  • Magna Mundi
  • Navar War: Arctic Circle
  • Pirates of the Black Cover
  • Pride of Nations
  • Salem
  • Supreme Ruler Cold War
  • Sword of the Stars 2: Lords of Winter [/ul] Just some of the new titles on that list are Gettysburg, Pirates of the Black Cove, and Salem which is the first MMO to be released from the firm
  • Wow!

Profile Search

21 JAN 2011 at 12:05am

son_of_montfort

Colonel
    Colonel

Salem? What is that? An MMORPG? How out of character!

Son_of_Montfort "Slander is a poison which extinguishes charity, both in the slanderer and in the persons who listen to it." Bernard of Clairvaux

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 12:12am

spelk

Commander
    Commander

I'm still reeling over the Gettysburg RTS/FPS hybrid.
    Gettysburg: Armored Warfare is a first person shooter RTS hybrid set during an alternate version of the US Civil War (thanks, BigDownload) which will include tanks, zeppelins and soldiers with modern looking firearms. Players will be able to customize their armies on the battlefield, which will contain “large scale battles and persistent elements.” It is from Radioactive Software and expected sometime this year.
    That could be the dream game I've always wanted. Or a nightmarish collection of half arsed mechanics that urinates over my dream and taunts me with the vapours!

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 12:19am

Martok

Colonel
    Colonel

I want to hear more about Crusader Kings 2 and Pride of Nations, dammit! 

"I happen to believe that both parties deserve a good scouring with a metal brush and sent to their room without reelection" - Steelgrave

The Old Guard

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 2:51am

undercovergeek

Commander
    Commander

Originally Posted By Martok
    I want to hear more about  Pride of Nations, dammit! 
    its being pushed back [:@][
    ]

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 3:52am

Tpek

Commander
    Commander

Wow. Anyone got an idea what's Dreamlords Resurrection? Also
    Just like the real colonial era of the United States, the game will be full of alchemy, folklore style creatures and the prerequisite witches.
    Someone needs to tell them to stop reading pulp comics and start reading real history books.  [
    ]

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 4:06am

spelk

Commander
    Commander

Originally Posted By Tpek
    Wow. Anyone got an idea what's Dreamlords Resurrection?
    Dreamlords was a fantasy RTS game that combined an online strategic element (similar to the likes of Travian and Planetarion) with a client that could play out the battles as an RTS on your PC. So you could make your strategic moves during your lunch break on the web, then when you get home you could play out your conflicts. Was a bit basic, and didn't particularly set my heart aflame with desire when I first tried it out many moons ago. Then I think it went free to play. Never really took another look at it.

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 4:42am

Tpek

Commander
    Commander

^Looks interesting. Shall be watching it. It still seems to be in Closed Beta phase according to the main page for now. And I do wonder how Paradox is going to publish an F2P game.

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 5:01am

tigersfan

Centurion
    Centurion

Originally Posted By Tpek
     And I do wonder how Paradox is going to publish an F2P game.
    Hopefully without any of those stupid micro-transactions.

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 7:01am

Epee1

Commander
    Commander

Looking forward to Sword of the Stars II.

Combat Command The Forgotten Gamers

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 7:14am

bbmike

Centurion
    Centurion

Originally Posted By spelk
    I'm still reeling over the Gettysburg RTS/FPS hybrid.
    Gettysburg: Armored Warfare is a first person shooter RTS hybrid set during an alternate version of the US Civil War (thanks, BigDownload) which will include tanks, zeppelins and soldiers with modern looking firearms. Players will be able to customize their armies on the battlefield, which will contain “large scale battles and persistent elements.” It is from Radioactive Software and expected sometime this year.
    That could be the dream game I've always wanted. Or a nightmarish collection of half arsed mechanics that urinates over my dream and taunts me with the vapours!
    I would have been excited for this one if it had not been set during an alternate version of the US Civil War. [:@]

Profile Search

21 JAN 2011 at 8:19am

Gusington

General
    General

That Gettysburg game makes me giddy.

I'm glad my character uses a shield because I may be taking a bashing here soon.

- Rayfer

The Old Guard

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 8:41am

Reich36

Commander
    Commander

Originally Posted By Gusington
    That Gettysburg game makes me giddy.
    Ditto. I like the idea of a steampunk Civil War. 

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 8:55am

son_of_montfort

Colonel
    Colonel

Wait, is PoN getting pushed back? They have it slated for March still on their website. EDIT: NM, I saw Pocus's post in the form. Sigh... oh well, maybe it will be out by May for my b-day.

Son_of_Montfort "Slander is a poison which extinguishes charity, both in the slanderer and in the persons who listen to it." Bernard of Clairvaux

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 9:01am

Gusington

General
    General

^Anyone got any info on Salem? I automatically get attuned to anything even remotely associated with witchcraft.

I'm glad my character uses a shield because I may be taking a bashing here soon.

- Rayfer

The Old Guard

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 9:24am

Syt

Commander
    Commander

Originally Posted By Gusington
    ^Anyone got any info on Salem? I automatically get attuned to anything even remotely associated with witchcraft.
    I can highly recommend the Israeli metal band of the same name, but other than that ...
    [b][color=darkred][i]One strikeout is a tragedy, a million strikeouts are a statistic.[/i][/color][/b]

- "Stallin' Joe" Dshugashvili, Manager of the Moscow Red Stars 1922-53

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 9:25am

Gusington

General
    General

^Hey I'll take that too.

- Rayfer

The Old Guard

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 10:12am

Robear

Centurion
    Centurion

Hopefully without any of those stupid micro-transactions.
    Sad to say, I think that's the backbone of F2P as it stands today.

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 11:46am

Tpek

Commander
    Commander

^Actually, subscription based MMOs use Micro-transactions as well these days... (Star Trek Online, pre-F2P Champions Online, soon DC Universe Online, Fallen Earth, and others...) Heavy-metal band Salem? Don't know these guys.

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 12:29pm

Stormwaltz

Centurion
    Centurion

A quick search of the internet turned up this interview on PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/...-free-to-play-mmo-salem/ It's a free-to-play colonization builder with permadeath, magic, and Lovecraftian elements. They also say the game is "only in the early stages of development" yet is somehow "due for a 2011 release." They haven't even released any concept art. My take away is that it's either dirt-simple, or will slip to 2012 or later.

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 1:01pm

Gusington

General
    General

"Permadeath, magic, and Lovecraftian elements"     whoa

- Rayfer

The Old Guard

Profile Search

21 JAN 2011 at 2:46pm

rossntu

Commander
    Commander

Cities in Motion looks like it has potential.  I never played Transport Tycoon as by the time I was aware of it, the graphics were really bad.  I am hoping this will be similar but look a lot nicer. Anyone heard anything on Magicka - it's out in a few days but my first impression was it was nothing new. 

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 3:39pm

Slick Wilhelm

Centurion
    Centurion

Vainglory of Nations is the game I've got my eyes on. Even though they changed the name to a very lame Pride of Nations, I'm still betting that Pocus and company will have another big hit to add to their list of accomplishments. I'm totally fine with them pushing back the release date. Better to take the time to get it right, than to deal with the uproar from a buggy initial release.

Beta Tester: Brother Against Brother; Commander: The Great War

Profile Search
    21 JAN 2011 at 9:47pm

Arctic Blast

Commander
    Commander

Nice to see a company spread its wings a bit with what it puts out. And that might have something to do with the financial number Fredrik Wester talked about. Their gross revenue last year was up 45% last year, and their profits went up 300% year over year. Also, 70% of their revenue is now from digital sales.    Magicka looks like it could be interesting...preview looks have been very positive. Anything pirate related catches my attention, so I'll watch for more details on the Black Cove game. Pride of Nations looks terrific. And it sounds like the Paradox guys are REALLY excited about King Arthur 2 and Sword of the Stars 2. And I'm down for anything Mount & Blade.

Profile Search
    22 JAN 2011 at 6:40am

Greybriar

Commander
    Commander

Originally Posted By Arctic Blast
    ....70% of their revenue is now from digital sales....
    That's because most of their games are now released only as digital downloads, which is good for them but bad for those of us who prefer a retail boxed copy with a printed paper manual. I am disappointed in Paradox. HoI3 still isn't fixed and now they're releasing another expansion-patch? Victoria II still has problems with rebels. At the rate they're going they are going to lose many of their fans.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Profile Search
    All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Paradoxical Future

Page 1 of 3 : »

Jump to:
    0 Members Subscribed To This Topic