Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Pride of Nations: One-a-day articles

Page 1 of 2 :

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Pride of Nations: One-a-day articles
12 MAY 2011 at 2:54pm

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

Since apparently the game is now only about a month away from release, Pocus is putting up daily posts discussing VoN's various features.  There's three out so far, and they've all made for pretty good reading!  #1: Prestige Points and Objectives #2: Generals and Officers #3: Regions

"I happen to believe that both parties deserve a good scouring with a metal brush and sent to their room without reelection" - Steelgrave

The Old Guard

Profile Search

12 MAY 2011 at 3:11pm

Bismarck

Colonel
Colonel

FWIW, my preview should be up at Armchairgeneral next week.  Big game.

Jim Cobb, Ph. D. Adjunct Faculty, Cardinal Stritch University

The Old Guard

Profile Search
12 MAY 2011 at 4:30pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

At the price point, this may be the first day-one purchase I've made in a few years.

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search
12 MAY 2011 at 5:12pm

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Bismarck
Looking forward to it! 

"I happen to believe that both parties deserve a good scouring with a metal brush and sent to their room without reelection" - Steelgrave

The Old Guard

Profile Search
12 MAY 2011 at 5:50pm

bbmike

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Bismarck
I'm with Martok. Can't wait to read your preview!

Profile Search
12 MAY 2011 at 6:07pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Pride of Nations release date is June 7th, FYI.

Profile Search
15 MAY 2011 at 3:39am

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

#4: Exploring Africa #5: Coal & upkeep I particularly enjoyed the #5 entry:  Obtaining coal supplies and building coaling stations, "intelligent" upkeep (i.e., ships in harbor will not use coal), the costs & benefits of railroads....  Sounds like it should make for some difficult but fun choices! 

The Old Guard

Profile Search
15 MAY 2011 at 5:23pm

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

#6:  Taxes (or death!):  This entry specifically deals with the "State" income.  (Another entry dealing with "capital", or private income, is apparently forthcoming.)  The complexity sounds good; I just hope it's not too much for my tiny brain to handle.  #7:  Combat units and postures:  I'll be interested to see how the different unit sizes work, especially since some are more appropriate for certain areas than others.  I've not really seen that kind of model (in games) before, so I'm very curious to see it in action! 

The Old Guard

Profile Search
17 MAY 2011 at 6:26am

Pocus

Centurion
Centurion

Honestly that would pose a problem if there was a hard coded limit on stacking, like 'no more than 4 combat units per region'. The limit in the game (and the AGE engine) has more to do with the 'frontage' concept, i.e how many men you can deploy on the battlefield, knowing also that big stacks move more slowly. Also, nothing prevent you from deploying 6 colonial brigades in a given national region. They can surely put up some good fight against a lone enemy infantry division, still, this is really not optimal, because they are costlier for the same combat rating than the others units. The reverse move, i.e using big metropolitan units in a colonial region is much more risky in a way, because attrition can really kill your men fast, unless the colonial region is Alger or Kaapstad. I think it also works because small or large combat units are anyway made of the same size of bricks: the element. An infantry corps has perhaps 18 elements, a colonial brigade 2, but each element is roughly the same size. So by having a kind of common denominator, we can compare / have things work much better, even when a big unit meets a small one.

Profile Search
17 MAY 2011 at 7:32am

Kriegspieler

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Martok
        #6:  Taxes (or death!):  This entry specifically deals with the "State" income.  (Another entry dealing with "capital", or private income, is apparently forthcoming.)  The complexity sounds good; I just hope it's not too much for my tiny brain to handle.      
    This is one of the best innovations in the game.  And it's not at all too difficult to manage, because from one given turn to another there's not all that much to do.
Getting too old to do this!

Profile Search
20 MAY 2011 at 2:51am

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

#8 National soil and peace treaties #9 International trade and Commerce fleets Honestly, this is one of the few strategy games I've seen that actually makes trade sound interesting!  I definitely look forward to trying it out. 
Originally Posted By Pocus
Honestly that would pose a problem if there was a hard coded limit on stacking, like 'no more than 4 combat units per region'. The limit in the game (and the AGE engine) has more to do with the 'frontage' concept, i.e how many men you can deploy on the battlefield, knowing also that big stacks move more slowly. Also, nothing prevent you from deploying 6 colonial brigades in a given national region. They can surely put up some good fight against a lone enemy infantry division, still, this is really not optimal, because they are costlier for the same combat rating than the others units. The reverse move, i.e using big metropolitan units in a colonial region is much more risky in a way, because attrition can really kill your men fast, unless the colonial region is Alger or Kaapstad. I think it also works because small or large combat units are anyway made of the same size of bricks: the element. An infantry corps has perhaps 18 elements, a colonial brigade 2, but each element is roughly the same size. So by having a kind of common denominator, we can compare / have things work much better, even when a big unit meets a small one.
Thanks for the info, Pocus.  Good to see at least a little detail of how it works. 

The Old Guard

Profile Search

20 MAY 2011 at 7:46am

Sol Invictus

Centurion
Centurion

This game could be HUGE! I do expect such a complicated and ambitious game to have its share of bugs and to need some gameplay tweaks but I am confident in AGEOD based on their previous games. Bring on the demo!

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery" Cicero

Profile Search
20 MAY 2011 at 10:10am

Spharv2

Centurion
Centurion

If you hadn't seen it, they've begun an 8 player AAR on the paradox boards. Paradox AAR

Profile Search
20 MAY 2011 at 12:42pm

Slick Wilhelm

Centurion
Centurion

Fascinating 8-player AAR. It's going to take many years for them to finish. I hope that the patches, when released, don't break current PBEM games.  

Beta Tester: Brother Against Brother; Commander: The Great War

Profile Search
20 MAY 2011 at 1:23pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

As I noted in that thread, at that rate, the game will be done January 6, 2024.

Profile Search
20 MAY 2011 at 2:33pm

Spharv2

Centurion
Centurion

Probably, but if you've got good friends, it would be fun to have a nice 5 year game with all the backstabbing and arguments that would result, wouldn't it? [sm=Axe_anim.gif]

Profile Search
21 MAY 2011 at 12:49am

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

#10:  Population definitions It appears that while there will be no shortage of info for those who wish to look "under the hood", this mechanic is largely abstracted.  I won't deny this comes as a profound relief!  #11:  The Industrial Base I'm becoming more and more fascinated by the game's financial model.  Things like the international market and the ability to build structures in other countries (albeit within limits) should definitely help "spice up" VON's economic sector and make it a viable -- and almost certainly vital -- part of gameplay. 

The Old Guard

Profile Search
21 MAY 2011 at 7:38am

Slick Wilhelm

Centurion
Centurion

While their long range goals differ, it's interesting that some pretty solid short-term goals must be met by all nations: Stabilize the economy, buy/produce as much coal and manufactured goods as possible, initiate commerce treaties with the other major powers, build infrastructure and send out explorers to discover new resources and potential colonies. I'm totally stoked for the colonial aspect of the game. Did you see that for each new territory, there are something like 8 choices of what you can attempt to do to the territory. We've got to get a massive Wargamer PBEM game of VoN going when it releases. [sm=coaster.gif]

Beta Tester: Brother Against Brother; Commander: The Great War

Profile Search
21 MAY 2011 at 8:51am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Slick Wilhelm
We've got to get a massive Wargamer PBEM game of VoN going when it releases. [sm=coaster.gif]
I'd be up for that, except being 60 years old, I'm not sure I'd make it to the end of the game.

Profile Search
21 MAY 2011 at 11:09am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Slick Wilhelm
Did you see that for each new territory, there are something like 8 choices of what you can attempt to do to the territory?
Actually, it's 31: five exploration, four military, five diplomatic, ten development, five status, and two for disorganized territories.

Profile Search
21 MAY 2011 at 5:35pm

tgb123

Commander
Commander

Pocus posted some info on the demo over at the official boards. It will consist of all the tutorials (5), and then 12 turns of the GC where you can play any of the 8 playable powers. Sounds good to me, except I hope the tutorials are closer to the Vicky II tutorials than the typical Aegod fare.

Profile Search

21 MAY 2011 at 7:05pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

The tutorials in the press beta were, sadly, typical AGEOD fare, but maybe they've been improved since then. We'll find out soon enough.

Profile Search
22 MAY 2011 at 10:18pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By JaguarUSF
The tutorials in the press beta were, sadly, typical AGEOD fare, but maybe they've been improved since then. We'll find out soon enough.
The first demo I played from them, for AACW, actually did teach me the toughest part.. organizing armies and managing the command point system.  Though a second run through helped make it really click for me.   The extra help I needed beyond that was in the details, notably of how to best approach battles and making efficient supply lines.  I definitely read through the manual to pick up some of that, but reading the manual for the 'guts' and numbers is usually the case for all games of this nature isn't it?  Even then, more avid players are the best source for offering straightforward suggestions on the forums, rather than fingering it all out for ourselves, so that may be the best way for some to 'get it'. Anyway, they don't have the worst tutorials around that I've seen.  Maybe not the greatest, but it sufficed for me. 

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search
23 MAY 2011 at 5:14am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

I'm more comparing the tutorials to the ones in Victoria 2, which was (sadly) the best part of that game.

Profile Search
23 MAY 2011 at 6:21am

bboyer66

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By JaguarUSF
I'm more comparing the tutorials to the ones in Victoria 2, which was (sadly) the best part of that game.
LOL, aint that the truth.

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Pride of Nations: One-a-day articles

Page 1 of 2 :

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic