Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Just bought Anglo German War....

Page 1

1 JUL 2011 at 4:57pm

gabeeg

Centurion
Centurion

I just bought Anglo-German War from NWS today...I could not wait for WWII Europe
  It's Spelks fault, his AAR has really made an impression on me.   I was not all that interested in the game before reading that (no offense Ron).   My question is, other than this forum are there any other resources out there for Schwerpunkt games.  I heard that JMass did some map mods for the East Front game...not sure if there are any mods for Anglo-German.  Where would one find mods for these games?

gabeeg

Profile Search

2 JUL 2011 at 2:36pm

5th HORSEMAN

Commander
Commander

Try here;     http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=114

And the angels, terrible and without pity, carry savage weapons, and their torture is unmerciful.

Profile Search
2 JUL 2011 at 8:07pm

gabeeg

Centurion
Centurion

Thanks 5th Horseman, just the kinda thing I was hoping for.

gabeeg

Profile Search
3 JUL 2011 at 6:16am

Ron Dockal

Centurion
Centurion

@gabeeg,         LOL!  My marketing sucks, but my games are fun! There is no way to play one of these without learning something about history.  And without getting that rush of the thrill of what is going to happen, and who will win this battle.         We are very busy on WWIIE.         @spelk ---  Thanks for great AARs!         Ron

Ron Dockal Schwerpunkt http://schwerpunkt.wargamer.com/

Profile Search
3 JUL 2011 at 8:06am

junk2drive

Commander
Commander

gabeeg wait till you see the manual. I suppose Ron sells more games by word of mouth than some companies do with advertising. I can't get into counter games and am sending my copy to a friend in Oregon that will probably love it.

The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Profile Search
13 JUL 2011 at 6:06pm

gabeeg

Centurion
Centurion

OK, I got the game.   I am working my way through the AGW tutorial and am stuck at the end on page 7 where I am to:         "Next, select the Naval Transport operation. Use the Tab key to move the German LF4 High Command HQ unit to the top of the stack in hex 180,201. Select the Italian freighter located at hex 180,201. Move the naval unit to the Heraklion port hex. "         No matter what I do I cannot shift the tabs to bring up the LF4 HQ to the top of the stack...won't do it in Naval transport mode or Change  stack order mode.  Down at the bottom of the screen it just flashes "HighCMD prevents stack change"...or something real close to that, it flashes so fast it is hard to see.         Anybody know how to unstick me and get the LF4 HQ on a ship to Hereklion?

gabeeg

Profile Search
13 JUL 2011 at 6:34pm

Ron Dockal

Centurion
Centurion

Couple of options:     1. Next Ground Move Phase, move the High Cmd HQ unit to another hex all by itself.     2. Press Shift key while left clicking on the hex.  All valid units will be selected for the op selected..  Careful, you may move the High Cmd unit whether you want to or not.         This occurred when we patched this game to include a High Cmd unit type.  The law of unintended consequences got us.         Ron

Profile Search
13 JUL 2011 at 8:50pm

gabeeg

Centurion
Centurion

A bug!?   ...I want a refund!         (I am a software QA engineer by profession...so that was a joke
)         Will there be additional updates released for AGW, I know it is an older product and you are now working on WWII Europe...just wondering?

gabeeg

Profile Search
14 JUL 2011 at 11:10pm

gabeeg

Centurion
Centurion

OK,  though it is not bad...as I can already see that once used to it, it will play smooth enough...but the UI is very "different" than what I am used to.  I have also found strange things that I am just not used to.          During the Enemy phase I have to click on the phase button and then the next step button...why?  Why could it not be assumed that if I have "CO execution by phase" means "execute all steps and advance to next phase".         When the AI finishes its steps/phase...why does the map zoom out to small european map?  I am guessing it is part of the FOW system..but it is bit annoying.         One thing I would like to see someday is a screen or pop up for details on a selected unit.  The icon itself has all the important information but I would like to see the units name fully spelled out some where (i.e. "Liebstandarte SS Adolf Hilter/ 17th Infantry Div.") OOB and TOE information on the selected Division, etc.  Just some historic details.         Lastly and more importantly I have a question...what the heck does the pop up during the beginning of the ai phase "Load a Computer Opponent plan File" do?  I have tried loading the one for the scenario I am playing (scen2.txt for Poland)...but it seems to hang things up...as the screen goes white and windows states the program is not responding when I click the step button after the pop-up telling me it is loaded and hit the step button...help...         I do find the game so far interesting and am enjoying blundering my way through..which is a good sign as I have barely scratched the surface. 

gabeeg

Profile Search
15 JUL 2011 at 12:48am

spelk

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By gabeeg
  Lastly and more importantly I have a question...what the heck does the pop up during the beginning of the ai phase "Load a Computer Opponent plan File" do?  I have tried loading the one for the scenario I am playing (scen2.txt for Poland)...but it seems to hang things up...as the screen goes white and windows states the program is not responding when I click the step button after the pop-up telling me it is loaded and hit the step button...help...
I had issues with this in the Middle East War title, its to allow players to code up an AI file and load it up - for specific turns. For instance in the Six Day War there is a file available to have NO CO plans on the first turn to simulate the surprise attack on the Arab airfields.    The ScenX.txt file is just a file that loads up the scenario's settings - so loading it in the CO plan file phase essentially leaves you without an AI (I think). Ron mentioned there was a way to turn off the Load a CO file option during a turn (although this might only be a feature in MDE):  http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=549663 "Pressing the "9" key will turn off the CO dialog box and supply checking box for the rest of the scenario.  Undocumented "feature".

Profile Search
15 JUL 2011 at 11:04am

gabeeg

Centurion
Centurion

I am having issues with the search function this morning on this site...so this feature may have been asked for already...but I would like to see the ability to have the highlight OOB an option that can be always on.  Maybe the highlighting can be slightly smaller or larger and a different color than the selected unit highlighting to avoid confusion.   I am finding a spend some time making sure units remain in range of their assigned HQ's.  Thanks!

gabeeg

Profile Search

15 JUL 2011 at 3:54pm

spelk

Commander
Commander

I'd second the vote to have a bit more unit information available *somewhere* to add a bit of flavour. I like the info on the counters idea, and I think it works very well - but I do hanker after a bit more "flavour" - often the unit details are abbreviated and encoded and you have to dig into the manuals to get to the quite brief name unit info.  A splash of additional flavour wouldn't go amiss - and the MDE game adds some photographic and historic detail in the early game status pages which is appreciated.  Perhaps we should start a WWIIE wishlist thread, if there isn't already one?

Profile Search
15 JUL 2011 at 4:24pm

gabeeg

Centurion
Centurion

Thanks Spelk, that was just the info I was looking for...no wonder it freaked out the program when I willy-nilly loaded up the scen2.txt file.           Wishlist post sounds like a good idea...maybe the mod can make a sticky for us?

gabeeg

Profile Search
15 JUL 2011 at 7:39pm

Ron Dockal

Centurion
Centurion

Good comments and thread.  Thank you!         No additional releases are planned for AGW at this time.  WWIIE will have the same battles and more.  I want to put the max effort into it.  We are leveraging both RGW and AGW to create WWIIE.         The AI zooms out to the top level map to prevent the human player from inadvertently seeing enemy dispositions and information if Fog of War is selected at scenario start.  Just click Next Phase.         Adding historical detail to WWIIE is on the list.  #16.  Also plan to have commander names in WWIIE.         Added highlight OOB to the list #37.         List is in a MS Word .docx file.  Best way to post that??     Thank you for these comments, and future ones.  During development and playtesting, we will look at each of the comments made.         Ron    

Profile Search
16 JUL 2011 at 1:55am

Agent Smith

Centurion
Centurion

Ron, you could post your docx file onto scribd.com and hyperlink to it from here.

“We can’t make you do anything, but we can make you wish you had.”

Profile Search
16 JUL 2011 at 2:13am

spelk

Commander
Commander

Or just copy and paste into a post here, I'm sure any basic formatting could be retouched in the forum editor. Unless there is use of tables and other more esoteric formatting options. I'm sure a lot of Schwerpunkt fans would be very keen to see the list.

Profile Search
18 JUL 2011 at 5:58pm

gabeeg

Centurion
Centurion

OK, so it has been a couple of days...still doing very poorly at taking Poland
        I do have another question...what does the Max attacks for a a side simulate?  For instance the Axis has a max attack of 10 per turn in the Poland Scenario...just not sure I understand why...         I am getting more comfortable with the UI (but still have to think about it first...still not coming naturally).  I am generally enjoying this game more and more.

gabeeg

Profile Search
18 JUL 2011 at 8:25pm

Ron Dockal

Centurion
Centurion

@gabeeg,     We placed maximums of three items in AGW, number of attacks, number of HQ changes, and number of Railroad strategic moves.  Supply was usually the limiting factor on number of attacks.  It was a estimate basedon history and playtesting.  Unlimited attacks caused some non-historic situations during playtests.         The Germans changed HQs frequently, while most of the other countries were not able to and maintain control of their units.         Number of railroad moves simulates limitation on the rolling stock, again based on how fast the units could come to the front.  Becomes very important when the Germans were trying to get units to Stalingrad for example.         Hope this explanation helps.  It is easy to change the limits by changing the text file, and rebuilding the scenario.         Ron

Profile Search
18 JUL 2011 at 8:32pm

Ron Dockal

Centurion
Centurion

List of WWIIE improvements.  Note this list changes often.     Ron         World War II Europe     Potential Improvements           First set are MDE v1.2:     1. (Wargamer/Playtesters) Computer Opponent (CO)     a. Change algorithm for movement of SAM units.     b. Improve algorithm for Motorized Supply unit moves.     c. Currently, CO performs operations and leaves the player to select Next Phase. Problem is that this allows the human player to cheat the FOW by looking at the Reports and locations of the enemy air units. One easy fix would be for WWIIE to automatically select next Phase before allowing the human player to start their ops. Another would be to add code to prevent the display of information at that time. originally, I left the ability to allow the human to correct any problems noticed that would make it less of a game experience. An example would be the movement of motorized supply unit to enure the CO area of attack is not completely disrupted by lack of supply.     d. Implement FOW on the Reports.           2. (Wargamer) Consider marking every hex as in/out of supply.           3. (Wargamer) Consider marking every hex as to side control.           4. (Mike) Consider limiting Air Tactical Ops so that it cannot destroy units, only greatly weaken them.           5. (Bill) Consider collecting all rules and text on supply into one section of the Help to make the rules clearer.           6. (Agent Smith) Put back the AGW combat markers. Ensure they are removed at the end of the turn.           7. (Agent Smith) Implement smooth scrolling of map at all levels.           8. (Kutnezov) Add neutral countries such as Spain, Portugal, Turkey.     (Ron) Done.           9. (tombo) Link the reports to the battle hex on the map. +1 on the AGW combat markers. Display full detailed combat results from battle.           10. (tombo, Agent Smith) Allow operations at the mid level maps as in AGW (as opposed to MDE).           11. (tombo) Bring back the AGW toolbar.           12. (Ron) Add a pull down menu to select the map to be centered on key locations. Part of menu, and/or part of Command panel. Done instead of the MDE hot keys.           13. (Agent Smith) Mouse right button depressed for pan/zoom of map. Same as MDE v1.1 patch, but smooth scrolling. Consider left button drag to scroll, or CTRL-left button. Note this would allow right button to be used to select op as in RGW/AGW.           14. (tombo) Allow the player to perform ops on all units in one hex, without going back to the map area to select the unit. In other words, at op completion, display the units in the that hex again for another op. Select “Cancel” to return to map area.           15. (5th Horseman) Widen the unit types. For example, add engineering units with combat modifiers when attacking digin/entrenched/fortify hexes. Add bridge units that can create and destroy bridges.           16. (Agent Smith) Display unit information by moving mouse cursor on top of unit without clicking.           17. (Agent Smith) Add a display option to display icons instead of NATO symbols.           18. (Agent Smith) Improve the scenario builder, currently just a text editor.           19. (Agent Smith) Display of CO unit moves and combat via animation.           20. (Mikeck) Add background music (was there for RGW/AGW, not there for MDE, should have for WWIIE).           21. (Michael T) Allow combining of Russian Tank Corps to one unit instead of 5. Was usually 1 HQ, 3 TBRs and 1 Mech Br in RGW. Something similar to AGW combining.           22. (Arnaud Desjumaux) Replacements are not summing from turn to turn, just have whatever is there for the current turn.           23. (Bill Macon) Add the capability for the scenario designer to specify whether the player choose optional rules, or has to use the rules selected in the file.           24. (critter) Work on the  pbem air rules so it plays more like the AI game.           25. (critter) Automate railroad movement. Select unit, select destination RR hex, then have the game move the unit until it shows up at the destination.           26. (Mike)  Change the Reinforcements display into a report with scrolling capabilities.           27. (Ron) Include many small scenarios with few turns, as well the large ones with lots for units/turns/complexity.           28. (Agent Smith, Ron) Include commander names of each unit. Include a factor for leadership in the TEM (now MELT). Also include other historical data on each unit per The Wargamer comments.           29. Show your historical opponent, with several facial expressions based on how good your last move was…           30. (spelk) Consider a better method of displaying information about city points, and other display attributes on the low level maps. Current method causes the player to switch attributes often to get the needed information.           31. (Bill) Replace current MDE method of air-air and naval-naval combat with a CRT.           32. (Agent Smith) Add a combat estimater.           33. (Several wargamers) Add scenarios on Finland, Murmansk, Norway, etc.           34. (several wargamers) Add an online tutorial.           35. (lupi) Convert RR hex when creating a temp supply source at a port.           36. (Bill) Assign increasing heavier penalty for units for consecutive turns out of supply.           37. (gabeeg) Highlight OOB as an option that stays on.           38. (lecrop) PBEM password encryption.  Look at FOW implementation overall to prevent cheating.

Profile Search
20 JUL 2011 at 2:18am

lecrop

Centurion
Centurion

Impressive list of improvements. With the only one I disagree is with #29. I think Schwerpunkt's games are the last bastion of computer wargames which are not a toy, and I would not see them become one of them.

Profile Search
21 JUL 2011 at 4:48am

Agent Smith

Centurion
Centurion

agreed #29 should be left to games like Civ. Schwerpunkt is hardcore!

“We can’t make you do anything, but we can make you wish you had.”

Profile Search

3 AUG 2011 at 10:04am

pthomas

Centurion
Centurion

i'm stuck at the same point, but with a different problem.......can't find HQ units anywhere on the map......when i use Display HQ only the map shows no units at all.......this is the Crete scenario      

Profile Search
3 AUG 2011 at 10:48am

APHILL

Centurion
Centurion

If i remember correctly HQs are in the optional rules screen, so if its not checked then you will not see HQs on the map

Profile Search
3 AUG 2011 at 6:36pm

Ron Dockal

Centurion
Centurion

That is correct.  We changed the default for MDE (and WWIIE) so that HQ units will be there, unless you choose to not have them.         Ron

Profile Search

Page 1

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic