Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Sengoku Release Version Impressions

Page 1 of 2 :

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Sengoku Release Version Impressions
8 SEP 2011 at 5:16pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

People want to know...nay, people need to know, so here we go.    + Map is nice, game loads and runs fast compared to other Pdx grand strat titles (smaller area) + Like the music - Only one starting date + Can play as any land-holding guy, not just clan leaders. So can start as a person that only has, say, three provinces and weasel your way to the top. Pretty cool. +/- Interface is pretty good. I like how the messages are arranged now, but diplomatic offers are still way too easy to miss --- (that's three minuses) Province management. You can only have five provinces at a time, and you order your court (three guys) to do things in them: improve the village (linear improvements), improve the castle (linear improvements), recruit troops, collect more taxes, etc. Since there's only five places, things get real repetitive real quick. This is probably the worst part of the game + Marriage is fun. Finding wives/husbands is pretty easy. Gotta find people for your kids because the AI seems to not do it on its own. - Plots are dumb. Since you can declare war on whoever you want anyway, it's only for getting an ally to join you up against a superior foe, or to break away from your clan. In either case, it's really hard to find enough people to do it. - No missions. Just kill everyone ? AI seems fine so far I think that's it. Questions, comments, accusations? Overall, I like it more than Victoria 2 but less than EU.

Profile Search

8 SEP 2011 at 6:17pm

tgb123

Commander
Commander

You'll do this anyway, so on a scale of 1-8???? Actually, I'm guessing the demo will hit tomorrow, considering a Tuesday release.

Profile Search
8 SEP 2011 at 7:05pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By tgb123
 You'll do this anyway, so on a scale of 1-8???? Actually, I'm guessing the demo will hit tomorrow, considering a Tuesday release.
Victoria II got a 5 EU got 7s and 8s. You can do the math

Profile Search
8 SEP 2011 at 7:17pm

jomni

Commander
Commander

It really sounds like Crusader Kings.

The Old Guard  The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Profile Search
8 SEP 2011 at 8:05pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

I'll admit that I don't have much experience with CK, but from what I've heard, it owes a lot to that particular game.

Profile Search
8 SEP 2011 at 9:04pm

son_of_montfort

Colonel
Colonel

It's actually more like EU:Rome than Crusader Kings, IMHO.

Son_of_Montfort "Slander is a poison which extinguishes charity, both in the slanderer and in the persons who listen to it." Bernard of Clairvaux

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 3:12am

Tamas

Centurion
Centurion

Can you inherit land?

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 3:41am

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

So.. if it's more like EU Rome (VV I guess?), then there's not as much hands-on character involvement as CK, I take it?
Arranging marriages is more than EU Rome, but is there much else to do with your characters, or do you just sit and watch them fight amongst themselves like in Rome?

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 5:11am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

[size="2"]Sengoku lies somewhere between CK and EUR. [size="2"]Character involvement is a major part of the game (that and warfare). Arrange marriages, reassign province control, diplomacy, exchange hostages, etc. [size="2"]Gameplay example: I was leading a clan, died, but a pretender got the leadership instead of my son, so now I'm a vassal but still own my five provinces. That's OK, accelerate time and run my demense and let the AI deal with other clans. [size="2"]But then the clan leader gets invaded by this really huge adjacent clan that I had (a) exchanged hostages with and (b) arranged a marriage with, so I had good relations with them but the clan leader obviously did not. So after the huge clan took over a number of his territories and was knocking on my door, I started a civil war against the clan (a one-button press, no need for plots) and was at war with them but not the big clan. Nice. [size="2"]Then, two OTHER clans just declared war on me while I am mopping up all of the old clan's territory. It's always something. [size="2"]I can say that I rarely just sit around like I did "playing" Victoria II, so that's nice.

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 5:15am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

"It's actually more like EU:Rome than Crusader Kings, IMHO." I suspected as much. Fileplanet is supposed to be hosting a demo today. Official word is 9AM PST.

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 5:36am

beatoangelico

Centurion
Centurion

I didn't follow the development closely, but I always thought of sengoku as EU rome in japan: limited and ultimately insipid. So why should I care?

Profile Search

9 SEP 2011 at 6:57am

Tpek

Commander
Commander

Is it Crash-prone as a new Paradox title might suggest?

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 7:08am

Tamas

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By JaguarUSF
        Sengoku lies somewhere between CK and EUR.     Character involvement is a major part of the game (that and warfare). Arrange marriages, reassign province control, diplomacy, exchange hostages, etc. Gameplay example: I was leading a clan, died, but a pretender got the leadership instead of my son, so now I'm a vassal but still own my five provinces. That's OK, accelerate time and run my demense and let the AI deal with other clans.     But then the clan leader gets invaded by this really huge adjacent clan that I had (a) exchanged hostages with and (b) arranged a marriage with, so I had good relations with them but the clan leader obviously did not. So after the huge clan took over a number of his territories and was knocking on my door, I started a civil war against the clan (a one-button press, no need for plots) and was at war with them but not the big clan. Nice.     Then, two OTHER clans just declared war on me while I am mopping up all of the old clan's territory. It's always something.     I can say that I rarely just sit around like I did "playing" Victoria II, so that's nice.    
        So you are a dynasty like in CK, not a country like in Rome. Excellent.

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 7:24am

Eyebiter

Commander
Commander

Looking forward to Sengoku. Should be a great Paradox game to get in about four years, once the patches and expansion packs are all complete. EU Rome was a decent game, but the whole assigning titles to characters portion felt tacked on. As in the developers were concerned that there wasn't enough for the players to do, so added in that gem to keep the player busy.

Buy your share of freedom... today!

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 7:56am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Tpek
Is it Crash-prone as a new Paradox title might suggest?
No crashes or bugs so far.

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 8:56am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Hey Jaggy, does it have dynasty mode choices like Crusader Kings? I noticed you said a pretender got your crown but you kept a vassalhood? So you don't necessarily lose the game if you don't maintain your crown in your own family, but, you can be dropped to a lower level of vassalhood? That would be great as I always was doing things to make sure when my king or main leader died in CK I would still maintain control of my realm.

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 9:37am

son_of_montfort

Colonel
Colonel

I doubt he can read this, but the answer to the above is "yes." You follow your dynasty and the only way to really "lose" the game is, like CK, to have your dynasty head die with no heir in place. I even saw an option to choose an heir from a related family (i.e. adopt), although I don't know if that saves your dynasty. If you run out of honor, your character will commit seppuku and it's curtains for him. The problem is that plots were not working very well, and I suspect plots are the mechanic where, when a pretender takes control of your clan, you wrangle your way back to the top. If plots aren't working, then this becomes far harder than it should be.
SPACER
What I didn't see were the same types of character driven events that you found in CK (i.e. do you educate your child or foster him as a squire to his uncle). This is a big omission, IMHO. Also note, that Victoria II was highly economic in focus - so comparing what you do in that game with what you do in Sengoku is very difficult. Sengoku is, like CK and EU:Rome, highly focused on warfare and conquest or setting up your court and dynasty (so arranging marriages and giving out land). I prefer Victoria II's style, but Jim and I disagree on that (which is fine, it shows two different preferences, not anything about each game). Funny, he feels that Vicky 2 has less to do, and I feel Sengoku has less to do!
SPACER
One thing that I don't understand well are the rules for assigning lands. The marriage finder UI is great, I wish they had the same thing for land assignment.

Son_of_Montfort "Slander is a poison which extinguishes charity, both in the slanderer and in the persons who listen to it." Bernard of Clairvaux

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 10:04am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

If you have no male heir, you can continue play as a brother, but then he better have a male heir. As mentioned, having negative honor also loses the game, as does losing all of your land (I've had this happen once). However, you can continue playing even if you lose the clan leader position. As I mentioned, I did, and then broke away from the clan and formed my own. AFAIK, you can assign lands to anyone in the clan: just go to diplomacy with them and pick the province. I usually focus on giving land to my sons first, and then people with good interpersonal relationships next, being careful not to give too much land to a person who could threaten your heir's claim to the throne.

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 10:15am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

http://www.fileplanet.c...93/download/Sengoku-Demo

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 10:37am

son_of_montfort

Colonel
Colonel

AFAIK, you can assign lands to anyone in the clan: just go to diplomacy with them and pick the province.
Yes, you can assign individual lands to anyone. However, you can also assign control over a Daimyo to a subordinate lord (kind of like the difference between count and baron in CK). Basically he is the leader of a group of smaller provinces. This seems to be a questionable practice, as that allows them to break-off more easily. Who you can assign as a daimyo is not particularly clear.

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 11:24am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

Can Jim or SoM confirm this, because this is huge if true. It's the first piece of demo feedback: "ok finished my first 15 years demo with ouchi... got destroyed easily... from within.. must note that game got no notifications at all... and thats huge drawback... someone declares war on me? no sound warning, no window poping up... only a little number right to the "important" mesages increses >.> thats horrible!!! no sound warnings?!! "

Profile Search

9 SEP 2011 at 11:41am

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Just change the message settings. The option for each kind is in every EU game. You can also right-click on a window pop-up or log message to change how that specific type is shown. ______________ All in all, I'd like to give this a run, but I may wait awhile to pick it up. The plots sound especially great, but if they're worthless then that makes me sad.

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 11:53am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By son_of_montfort
 Who you can assign as a daimyo is not particularly clear.
I've never actually done this.

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 11:56am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By tgb123
thats horrible!!! no sound warnings?!! "
There are options for the text warnings, but I have missed a lot of events (marriage proposals and hostage exchange requests, mainly) simply because there's either no sound or a very subtle sound that blends in with the background music.

Profile Search
9 SEP 2011 at 11:59am

son_of_montfort

Colonel
Colonel

Alliance proposals are not where they used to be in EU, and appear down in the bottom right. I suggest keeping that important event thing open. It was like they got upset at all the complaining of being spammed by events in EU and Hearts of Iron, so they made events too difficult to see in Sengoku.

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Sengoku Release Version Impressions

Page 1 of 2 :

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic