Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: WWI Gold is Fun

Page 1 of 2 :

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > WWI Gold is Fun
26 JUL 2010 at 2:06pm

solops

Centurion
Centurion

I decided to buy WWI Gold because it was on sale. I would never have bought it otherwise. Lo and behold, I have found a gem! I have not stayed up playing a game so late in years. Old boardgamers like me should like it. I was frustrated with the interface for a while ( separating stacks and moving the "splits" can be a pain), but I got better at it and became immersed. The rules and depth of the game are awesome. Be sure to do two things: 1) update to version1.08K. The link is hidden in one of AGEOD's update threads. And 2) if you have a dual core processor start the game directly from the EXE, not the Matrix pop-up box window. For some reason using the Matrix box menu made my game jumpy. It may be set up to use their single core option(?).           Also, for modding, take note (compiled from the AGEOD forums):                 [font=calibri]Q: I see that in WW1 Gold there is a modding folder in the installation folder. Are there any guides on how to manipulate these files?     A: Those files are most of them Excel files with game data. Once modified, they are exported in csv format in the game and used in it. Find the applicable Excel file, modify it (using either OpenOffice Calc OR MS Excel), export it (in .csv format) and then use the exported/modified .csv file in the appropriate folder in the game installation. (i.e. the template file you are hunting for IS this very same exported/modified .csv file). But, for Americans the CSV files don't save right because....           CSV Save Problems           The game is European. The OS in Europe defines a different list separator. The problem is generated by your OS, that has defined "," as a separator instead of ";". You can change that from your Control Panel, in Regional Configuration and change your list separator from "," to ";" Change the "list separator" in the Regional configuration section of Control Panel and the file I converted from XLS to CSV became compatible with the program. The list separator will be changed on the entire system from "," to ";"     [font=calibri]      [font=calibri]DIVX     DivX is required only for the Intro movie. If you don't want to install it, no problem. You'll see a black screen (with a background audio) instead of the intro movie      
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke     Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. - Judge Learned Hand

Profile Search

26 JUL 2010 at 2:27pm

Mikeck

Commander
Commander

I played the original version a few times and enjoyed it.  I'm not a big WWI-WWII  guy prefering 16th-19th century warfare. Having said that, I liked it far better than GoA as you were able to plan out more things and actually maneuver.  I might have to give it a shot again now that I dont have to turn my monitor sideways.          Are you playing WEGO or Activation rules?  If the latter, how is it now?  Had problems with the AI previously.

"love is preserved by link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails."

Profile Search
26 JUL 2010 at 2:45pm

06 Maestro

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Mikeck
            Are you playing WEGO or Activation rules?  If the latter, how is it now?  Had problems with the AI previously.    
      If playing in "strickly turn based" / army by army mode the AI is a little off.  If playing in SP mode, WEGO will give you a better fight for sure.       This game is my favorite grand strategy game.  It covers a lot of ground in a reasonable fashion. 

Profile Search
26 JUL 2010 at 5:36pm

sandman2575

Centurion
Centurion

Also bough WW1 Gold during the sale...  have fiddled with it for a bit but am having trouble getting into it...  the 230 page manual is a must-read, and i've only had time to skim.  The tutorials, like most tutorials, seem pretty useless.  But this is a very, very deep game. (The DivX thing, by the way, is extremely annoying... i wasn't paying enough attention during install, and it wound up installing this entire DivX suite -- literally took about 40 minutes to d/l and install...  and the only thing you need is the codecs... and that is only for the intro movie... which you can easily disable in the config. setup.)

"Well, if this is it, old boy, I hope you don't mind I go out speaking the King's?"  - Lt. Archie Hicox

Profile Search
26 JUL 2010 at 8:14pm

Sol Invictus

Centurion
Centurion

I have read the manual; whew; but haven't had time to actually play it. It is indeed a very deep and groggy game and definately the Gold standard for WWI games. I am looking forward to starting my first game.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery" Cicero

Profile Search
26 JUL 2010 at 8:55pm

jnier

Centurion
Centurion

Anyone who gets WW1-Gold and enjoys it, should also look into Guns of August. Wonderful, deep, and easy to get into. Great period feel as well. One of the better games I have played in recent years.

Profile Search
26 JUL 2010 at 9:32pm

Dhoude

Centurion
Centurion

I am a student in History and I am doing my thesis on WW1 and I would LOVE to play this game and enjoy it but so far, the newest demo, never actually got me into the game. I guess I'll have to read the whole manual...maybe someday I'll buy it!

Profile Search
27 JUL 2010 at 6:43am

Mikeck

Commander
Commander

I think that this game, like WiTP and EUIII requiress you to actually work at it.  I dont mean to be sarcastic either...I'm serious. Some games you just turn on, play a few tutorials, skim the manual and you're off and running.  For these three games, if you do that, you will lose interest.  In order to really enjoy them, you have to force yourself to play for a few hours, get past the inital "WTF?s" and learn the game instead of the manual.  AS you learn all of the complexities, you begin to love the game (maybe)         I hated EUIII as I had tried to get into it about 3 diferent times (original, IN and HTTR).  I finally made myself play 50 years to finally decide whether to uninstall.  I loved it. After a certain time, so much opened up. I think AGEODs WWI is like that. At first, its just a basic boardgame with lots of rules.  As you play and learn it, the depth opens up.  You have to put the time in and those types of games arent for everyone.         Problem is...what happesns if you buy it, waste several hours and still hate it??

"love is preserved by link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails."

Profile Search
27 JUL 2010 at 7:53am

sandman2575

Centurion
Centurion

I hated EUIII as I had tried to get into it about 3 diferent times (original, IN and HTTR).  I finally made myself play 50 years to finally decide whether to uninstall.  I loved it. After a certain time, so much opened up. I think AGEODs WWI is like that. At first, its just a basic boardgame with lots of rules.  As you play and learn it, the depth opens up.  You have to put the time in and those types of games arent for everyone.        
        This is a great description -- and good encouragment!  Ironically enough, I bought HTTT in addition to WWIGOld during the sale, in the hope that it would get me back into EUIII, which I've never been able to get into!           Exactly right that there are not many "You *have* to read the manual carefully first" games out there, but WitP, EU3, and WWI Gold are definitely in that category.  I spent many days reading, highlighting, underlining the WitP: AE manual.  I actually enjoyed it!  Lots of "Wow, you can do that? Amazing" moments in there.            I just hope WWI is less exhausting than WitP.  I'm still in awe of what WitP lets you do, but it is the Mt. Everest of wargames ... you can't just turn it on and fiddle with it for a few turns and hope to get much out of it.  You need to have a 'Grand Strategy' in view, and always thinking many moves ahead.  One of the intriguing things about WWI Gold is how the game incorporates adopting a 'grand strategy' to begin with... Von Schlieffen plan, etc.  Very clever, those AGEOD blokes.

"Well, if this is it, old boy, I hope you don't mind I go out speaking the King's?"  - Lt. Archie Hicox

Profile Search
27 JUL 2010 at 9:37am

Rayfer

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By sandman2575

I hated EUIII as I had tried to get into it about 3 diferent times (original, IN and HTTR).  I finally made myself play 50 years to finally decide whether to uninstall.  I loved it. After a certain time, so much opened up. I think AGEODs WWI is like that. At first, its just a basic boardgame with lots of rules.  As you play and learn it, the depth opens up.  You have to put the time in and those types of games arent for everyone.        
        This is a great description -- and good encouragment!  Ironically enough, I bought HTTT in addition to WWIGOld during the sale, in the hope that it would get me back into EUIII, which I've never been able to get into!           Exactly right that there are not many "You *have* to read the manual carefully first" games out there, but WitP, EU3, and WWI Gold are definitely in that category.  I spent many days reading, highlighting, underlining the WitP: AE manual.  I actually enjoyed it!  Lots of "Wow, you can do that? Amazing" moments in there.            I just hope WWI is less exhausting than WitP.  I'm still in awe of what WitP lets you do, but it is the Mt. Everest of wargames ... you can't just turn it on and fiddle with it for a few turns and hope to get much out of it.  You need to have a 'Grand Strategy' in view, and always thinking many moves ahead.  One of the intriguing things about WWI Gold is how the game incorporates adopting a 'grand strategy' to begin with... Von Schlieffen plan, etc.  Very clever, those AGEOD blokes.    
        Great posts guys...agree completely.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around EU3 and found the Wiki link someone else posted to be an excellent source for getting a game going.   Add  Forge of Freedom and Crown of Glory EE to that list of games that you really must read the extensive manuals before appreciating the game.

Profile Search
13 OCT 2011 at 7:54pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

An official update was released last week for WWI Gold.

Adds PBEM, along with numerous fixes.  I certainly look forward to the improved AI in army-by-army activation mode as opposed to the default WEGO. 

Get it here :

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=22861

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search

13 OCT 2011 at 10:22pm

Aces8

Centurion
Centurion

Not to go way off topic here but I wish someone would make Paths of Glory the boardgame into a WW I computer game that would be fun

Profile Search
14 OCT 2011 at 1:27am

Somme

Centurion
Centurion

I own WW1 Gold.  A very great game indeed. Updates are still being made for it. Haven't played for awhile but I think I will get onto it again. As you can guess by my name WW1 is th War I have the most interest in.

Profile Search
14 OCT 2011 at 10:30am

Queeg

Centurion
Centurion

I'm planning on trying another WWI Gold campaign myself now that the new patch is out (and while I wait for the official patch for PON).  

Question:  I've only played the 2-player campaign before, but I'm thinking about trying a 4-player Entente campaign with the AI controlling Russia.  The starting Entente options are France or Russia.  

oes the French player also control Great Britain?  I think a Western Front-focused game, with the AI handling Russia (for good or ill), could be pretty fun.

Profile Search
16 OCT 2011 at 6:08pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Yes, the French player also controls Britain.  It is interesting to play single-player games in the 4-player mode so that you're far less coordinated.. although coordination (and mostly cries for help) between allied nations was the norm in WWI.

One thing I found annoying about playing in 4-player was having to watch my allied AI go through every one of it's battles anyway.  So at that point I figured that I may as well run the thing and enjoy ALL the battles instead of watching & waiting for the AI to fight itself so often.

The Old Guard

Profile Search
16 OCT 2011 at 9:09pm

jomni

Commander
Commander

I think 4-player mode is also less stable and prone to crashing.

The Old Guard  The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Profile Search
17 OCT 2011 at 8:47am

Tamas

Centurion
Centurion

I am a big fan of the boardgame original, and as a consequence I become a bit irritated at people single-playering the 4 players campaign

The whole system was tailored for close cooperation, with everything that hindered that included in the game (most notably initiative penalties at given fronts, and political events to get rid of them via unified command).

Profile Search
17 OCT 2011 at 6:40pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Yes, it certainly wasn't made to run the 4-player campaign as 1 + 3 AI.  Probably part of the aforementioned stability problem, too. 

The Old Guard

Profile Search
18 OCT 2011 at 9:27am

sandman2575

Centurion
Centurion

Does anyone know of a good video tutorial or walk-through to help get into WW1 Gold?  I was chagrined to see what I had written on this thread a year ago and realize that I still have not made any progress getting into this game.

If anyone has a 'this is what made this game click for me' suggestion (beyond reading the manual, which i've done), i'd love to hear it.

Profile Search
18 OCT 2011 at 10:04am

Twitter3

Centurion
Centurion

Does anyone know of a good video tutorial or walk-through to help get into WW1 Gold?  I was chagrined to see what I had written on this thread a year ago and realize that I still have not made any progress getting into this game.

If anyone has a 'this is what made this game click for me' suggestion (beyond reading the manual, which i've done), i'd love to hear it.

I know there were some Youtube vids that showed what/why of the game.  I haven't watched them.  I really don't have any trick.  For me the game clicked when I took it at face value - move/fight, diplomacy, game events, reinforcements/munitions, repeat.  I learned that on each 'turn' you did a specific job and then moved on to the next phase. 

Post #64 in this thread gives some pretty good info:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11524&page=3

By the way, I just finished a game as Russia (1 vs. 3 ai) and had no crashes the whole game.  Made it all the way until early 1918 until my citizens said enough and I was forced to sue for peace.

Last edited by Twitter3 : 18 OCT 2011 10:06am
Profile Search
18 OCT 2011 at 10:49am

sandman2575

Centurion
Centurion

^ Many thanks -- I'll be bookmarking that link for sure.

BTW, hat-tip to Nefaro for his sounds mod, which in addition to other helpful things eliminates the awful "CHARGE!" during the battles, which sounded like an asthmatic octagenarian having a particularly effortful bowel movement.

Profile Search

18 OCT 2011 at 11:01am

Philippe

Commander
Commander

BTW, hat-tip to Nefaro for his sounds mod, which in addition to other helpful things eliminates the awful "CHARGE!" during the battles, which sounded like an asthmatic octagenarian having a particularly effortful bowel movement.

Late to the party, as usual.  I hate that sound.  Where do I go to get Nefaro's mod?

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Profile Search
18 OCT 2011 at 11:02am

Twitter3

Centurion
Centurion

No prob.  Somewhere over there are mods for the map to lighten it up.  I haven't done that as I am now used to this map and finally get all the color codes.

Oh, found the thread with the vids for you:

Post #24 has the link

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=537713&p=2

Profile Search
18 OCT 2011 at 11:04am

Twitter3

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Philippe

Late to the party, as usual.  I hate that sound.  Where do I go to get Nefaro's mod?

Over at Ageod's forum page there is a section for mods.

Profile Search
18 OCT 2011 at 1:22pm

Philippe

Commander
Commander

Thanks!  I'm only replacing the sound files with the constipated English octogenarian for now, but that makes a great difference. Up there with the moment when it struck me that the reason I couldn't grasp what was going on in the tutorials was because I was distracted by the music playing in the background.  Once I turned the music off the combat system started to make sense to me.  I love the music, but until I'm sure I understand the system I'm leaving it off.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > WWI Gold is Fun

Page 1 of 2 :

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic