Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Sega Myths-Bernie Stolar's 5 Star Policy prevented Grandia's US Sega Saturn release.

Page 1

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Sega Myths-Bernie Stolar's 5 Star Policy prevented Grandia's US Sega Saturn release.
9 JUN 2011 at 3:22pm

STXSambodog

Centurion
Centurion

[sm=spam1[1].gif]

Profile Search

9 JUN 2011 at 3:38pm

Azzurri

General
General

Originally Posted By STXSambodog

In the West Stolar and his Five Star Policy if often blamed as the reason why Grandia wasn't released on the Sega Saturn in the US.In reality it has notthing to do with Stolar's 5 Star Policy at all.Instead the reason why Sega has decided not to let Grandia have a US Sega Saturn release was purely for financial reasons:     In 1997, everyone knew that Final Fantasy VII was turning out to be the monster hit that had been expected; furthermore, everybody thought they knew what Saturn RPG that Sega had in its Japanese arsenal to best counter it. This was none other than Grandia by GameArts?, which was released in December of 1997 to eager Saturn gamers in Japan and was already being hailed as a masterpiece and a milestone insofar as the use of 3D environments in an RPG was concerned. To the surprise and anger of Western gamers, though, Sega passed on Grandia in 1997 and instead opted to translated and release the first installment of its own Shining Force III series. This seemed to fly in the face of all reason, if you were an eager Saturn gamer or RPG addict following the videogame market that year. It was quite a different story in the corporate boardrooms of the companies involved. What most Western gamers do not understand is that Grandia for Saturn did not do all that well in Japan. It may have been one helluva game, in fact the best RPG ever created for the console and one of the all-time RPG classics, but it didn't exactly take the Japanese market by storm. Grandia for Saturn only sold some 350,000 copies during its original market lifetime - large numbers for a Saturn game to be sure, but nowhere in the ballpark compared to what Square's Final Fantasy VII was doing. That, combined with the sad reality that Saturn had failed in the West, was the reason why both Sega and GameArts? agreed not to do an English language port of the game. Their sales projections show that they couldn't make enough money off of an English language port in the West, where the Saturn market was already small and shrinking daily, to justify the expense of the translation effort. On 10 January 1998, Sega angered RPG fans worldwide when it announced that Grandia for Saturn would never be translated into English for a Western release. It is a grudge that both Sega diehards and RPGers hold against Sega even to this day, made all the more painful by an obviously inferior English-language port for PlayStation released by Sony approximately two years later.     http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=SegaBase+Saturn+p5&bl=y     You see Sega was willing to allow as US release of Grandia on the Sega Saturn,but their business analysis and sales projection showed that Sega wouldn't have been able to make a profit of an American Saturn release of Grandia.Combine that with the sad reality that the Sega Saturn was a failure in the US,and you could clearly see why Sega decided to cancel a North American release of Grandia on the Sega Saturn.Grandia being unreleased in the US had nothing to do the 5 Star Games Policy and in no way is BERNIE STOLAR is responsible for no US Saturn Grandia release.Rather it was purely financial reasons why Sega canned a North American release of Grandia on their failed console.    

Greeks never leave their brother's behind.

It is better to die by a swords quick thrust than to be impaled for a lifetime upon the sharp tongue of a woman.-Grimjack

Profile Search
9 JUN 2011 at 3:40pm

DennisS

Commander
Commander

Should I care about the original post, which I didn't read?

Profile Search
9 JUN 2011 at 3:41pm

Azzurri

General
General

[sm=ummno.gif]

It is better to die by a swords quick thrust than to be impaled for a lifetime upon the sharp tongue of a woman.-Grimjack

Profile Search
9 JUN 2011 at 3:42pm

STXSambodog

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By DennisS
        Should I care about the original post, which I didn't read?    
        If you are interested in learning about Bernie Stolar.

Profile Search
9 JUN 2011 at 3:49pm

Ubercat

Commander
Commander

You'd garner more interest in your posts if you utilized paragraphs. Most potential readers have too many other demands on their time to wade through word salad.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

“I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers.”
-William H. Gascoyne

Profile Search
9 JUN 2011 at 3:52pm

STXSambodog

Centurion
Centurion

[sm=spam1[1].gif]

Profile Search
9 JUN 2011 at 4:06pm

Ubercat

Commander
Commander

Awww. I wish I'd seen what his response to me was.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

“I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers.”
-William H. Gascoyne

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Sega Myths-Bernie Stolar's 5 Star Policy prevented Grandia's US Sega Saturn release.

Page 1

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic