Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Game 'a la Panzer General'

Page 1

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Game 'a la Panzer General'
8 MAY 2003 at 5:47pm

CSanchez

Centurion
Centurion

Hi. A long time ago i was hooked to 'Panzer General' from SSI. Recently i have buyed a new computer (at least!). Now i want to purchase a wargame. I like easy wargaming 'a la Panzer General'. Is there nowadays a wargame in that style, easy to learn and play and difficult to master, turn based. I don't care about war fidelity but good playing. Thanks for your help. Carlos. P.S.: Sorry by bad english

Profile Search

8 MAY 2003 at 8:02pm

Les the Sarge 9-1e

Centurion
Centurion

There still is Panzer General, but it does not like Windows XP to much. There is Panzer General 2 better game in a few ways. There is Allied General (you play allies of course). There is Pacific General (but after looking at it, I was not to impressed). There is Fantasy General (ok too, but like Pacific General, you won't miss it). There is People's General (it is modern). If you like those games, then this site is where you will find true happiness. [url]http://pub131.ezboard.com/bjpspanzers[/url] If you want to try a simple game but at grand strategy level, try the Strategic Command demo at Battlefront.com. [url]http://www.battlefront.com/index.htm[/url] Another interesting game is from Columbia Games their Computer East Front has a demo. [url]http://www.columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/zoom.cfg?product_id=3005P[/url] That should keep you busy for a while

I have lived the world's dogma, that's why I know it's worthless.

Profile Search
8 MAY 2003 at 10:23pm

Corporal Trim

Centurion
Centurion

Carlos, I second Les the Sarge's recommendation of Strategic Command. I'd say it meets your criteria of "easy to learn...don't care about war fidelity but good playing." Panzer General was one of my all-time favorites. If I didn't have to futz around with DOS to run it, I'd probably be playing it still. PG2 is quite good, though I liked the original better. Pacific General wasn't too bad, the land action was compelling, but the naval portion of the game let it down. People's General is a very nice game indeed, and makes for a fresh change of pace from the WW2 setting of the other titles. I bought PGIII Scorched Earth in the bargain bins not so long ago. The interface and handling of the leaders has gotten a bit bizarre towards the end of the series, but I was having a good campaign going as Guderian, and then halfway into Russia, ran into a huge bug where the game kept crashing to the desktop and ruined my campaign. :eek: Based on that experience, I can't recommend either of the PGIII games, overall the game seemed to be made unstable by the change to 3D graphics.
Steve

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Game 'a la Panzer General'

Page 1

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic