Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Gratuitous Tank Battles?

Page 1

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Gratuitous Tank Battles?
5 JUL 2011 at 11:19am

spelk

Commander
Commander

Is cliffski from Positech games rustling up a 2d tank battle simulator? RPS cogitates... http://www.rockpapersho...2011/07/05/positech-gtb/ From the soldier in the first shot I initially thought it might be Gratuitous Tactical Battles... theres mention of Gratuitous Tank Battles and Gratuitous Trench Battles which both sound groovey to me.. Whatever it is - it should be interesting...

Profile Search

5 JUL 2011 at 11:30am

Tpek

Commander
Commander

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up!

Profile Search
6 JUL 2011 at 11:33am

Knave

Centurion
Centurion

Here's a Link Of course the name could change again, but I think this is what he's going for. Wants to use the brand recognition from gratuitous space battles.

Profile Search
6 JUL 2011 at 11:35am

Tpek

Commander
Commander

Thanks for the link. This isn't a WWII tank, that's actually a good sign [
].

Profile Search
6 JUL 2011 at 12:36pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Tpek
Thanks for the link. This isn't a WWII tank, that's actually a good sign [
].
LOL!  No kidding. 

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search
12 JUL 2011 at 12:03pm

spelk

Commander
Commander

Revealed. http://www.rockpapersho...tank-battles-preview-pc/ Tower defense game (sort of).

Profile Search
14 JUL 2011 at 8:17am

Bismarck

Colonel
Colonel

More links: [font="tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"] [font="tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]GTB is currently under development for PC and Mac with an expected D-Day sometime before Christmas 2011. Press and publishing enquiries should be directed to cliff@positech.co.uk   [font="tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]And over time more information will be at the new GTB website here: [font="tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]http://www.gratuitoustankbattles.com [font="tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"] [font="tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]And discussed on our forums at: [font="tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/   [font="tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]Hi-res screenshots and logos can be downloaded here: [font="tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"][link=http://www.gratuitoustankbattles.com/media/gratuitous_tank_battles_first_screens.zip]http://www.gratuitousta...attles_first_screens.zip[/link] [font="tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]

Jim Cobb, Ph. D. Adjunct Faculty, Cardinal Stritch University

The Old Guard

Profile Search
19 NOV 2011 at 2:43am

SiTheSly

Centurion
Centurion

I do not think this has been posted yet

Full credit for showing customers what exactly they will be getting

Profile Search
19 NOV 2011 at 8:28am

son_of_montfort

Colonel
Colonel

It's a reverse tower defense (i.e. you play the attacker). It actually looks pretty good for a fun time waster. But it doesn't look like there is as much troop customization, which is a pity.

Son_of_Montfort "Slander is a poison which extinguishes charity, both in the slanderer and in the persons who listen to it." Bernard of Clairvaux

Profile Search
19 NOV 2011 at 11:34am

Joram

Centurion
Centurion

Actually it looks like you can be both sides.  Looks like a lot of fun!

The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Profile Search
20 NOV 2011 at 10:48am

son_of_montfort

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Joram

Actually it looks like you can be both sides.  Looks like a lot of fun!

I saw that later! Pretty neat!

Son_of_Montfort "Slander is a poison which extinguishes charity, both in the slanderer and in the persons who listen to it." Bernard of Clairvaux

Profile Search

21 NOV 2011 at 5:47am

Pocus

Centurion
Centurion

Battles sounds are a bit too loud for me compared to voice, as a non native English speaker it means I lose some of what Cliff says. I pity myself.

Last edited by Pocus : 21 NOV 2011 5:48am
Profile Search
25 NOV 2011 at 10:05am

son_of_montfort

Colonel
Colonel

Apparently the units ARE customizable like in GSB (actually more so. as you can customize color and aesthetics as well).... this looks better and better!

Last edited by son_of_montfort : 25 NOV 2011 10:09am
Profile Search
13 MAR 2012 at 11:20am

spelk

Commander
Commander

This is available to buy now (pre-order), although you're buying into a beta at the moment. 

http://www.gratuitoustankbattles.com/register.html

Profile Search
13 MAR 2012 at 2:51pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Give me about 30 more minutes and I'll have a preview video posted.

Profile Search
13 MAR 2012 at 3:23pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

And here we go

Profile Search
14 MAR 2012 at 1:12pm

robc04

Centurion
Centurion

James,

How does this compare to Gratuitous Space Battles? I really didn't like that game, but this seems like it has the potential to be more interesting.

Thanks!

Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games

Profile Search
14 MAR 2012 at 5:18pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By robc04 (14 MAR 2012 1:12pm)

How does this compare to Gratuitous Space Battles?

It is much more interesting. It's basically a tower defense game except...

1. You can play offense or defense.

2. You can choose targets and paths during the match.

3. You can customize the units (choose components and special abilities).

4. You can create new maps.

It's really difficult, though, from what I have played so far. Both on offense and defense. The AI's tanks and turrets seem to be more powerful, or maybe I'm just terrible at the game. There is infantry, armor, and shields on mechs that are countered by flame/machine guns, cannons, and lasers, respectively. Most maps have multiple paths so you can divert your forces towards the towers they would fare better against. The AI also adapts to your forces, choosing better units or towers based on what you throw out onto the battlefield.

Also, check your PMs.

Profile Search
14 MAR 2012 at 5:43pm

spelk

Commander
Commander

I'm not quite sure what to make of it at the moment. I find the graphics clear zoomed in close, but out I lose the units in all the background fuzz. Also, even with the path clearly highlighted (R key) it still seems I've got things obfuscating the view of the action. Turn on hit points and they are useful visual indicators, but they clutter the place up even further. Struggling to find a happy medium where I can judge whats going on, but also am getting the thrill of the shooty bang bang stuff. Zoomed out it seems very clinical. You only get the action zoomed in.

It's tough. I've only played on defence, and the Hurtgen forest one is killing me. I just can't balance up Shields, Armour, and Infantry  guns enough to thin out the waves. Mind you I've been playing on scripted AI, I figured they might be a little easier than the Adaptive AI. Still kicking my butt hard.

Haven't found the magic combo, that allows me to protect my turrets enough with comined arms. Essentially, rule of thumb seems to be get as many varied stuff out there and make sure you're hitting all damage types, preferably in a killzone of some sort. 

I want to like it, alot. But I'm currently struggling with the decision making, based on my lack of knowledge at the feedback the engine is showing me. Plus if I concentrate on the higher view - I lose any thrill of the lower explosions, shockwaves, and blood and guts.

I think it probably just needs a lot more time to appreciate whats there. But there doesn't seem to be a clear interlocking path between the different units, like most traditional Tower Defense games employ. Finding it tricky to make any meaningful decisions. Sadly.

Profile Search
14 MAR 2012 at 5:56pm

robc04

Centurion
Centurion

Thanks for the feedback James and Ian.

Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games

Profile Search
15 MAR 2012 at 8:04am

robc04

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By spelk (14 MAR 2012 5:43pm)

It's tough. I've only played on defence, and the Hurtgen forest one is killing me. I just can't balance up Shields, Armour, and Infantry  guns enough to thin out the waves. Mind you I've been playing on scripted AI, I figured they might be a little easier than the Adaptive AI. Still kicking my butt hard.

I see what you mean about Hurtgen forest. I think its time I read the manual. :-)

Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Gratuitous Tank Battles?

Page 1

Jump to:
1 Members Subscribed To This Topic