Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Best game to get into war gaming for a beginner?

Page 2 of 2 :

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Best game to get into war gaming for a beginner?
11 JUL 2011 at 3:01pm

airboy45

Centurion
Centurion

I would also suggest Strategic Command, Combat Mission Beyond Overlord, or Panzer General 2.           Both are excellent, have low computer requirements, and have stood the test of time.  Each can be purchased for about $10 at www.gog.com.  They are DRM free and will play on almost any microsoft based platform.            Panzercorps will run you about $50 - so I would try Panzer General 2 first simply due to the cost factor.           http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/panzer_general_2     http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/strategic_command_european_theater     http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/combat_mission_beyond_overlord

Profile Search

11 JUL 2011 at 3:38pm

Greybriar

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By baylon5v
....I've been looking into getting into wargaming because I like the time period of World War II. But I also would like a game that allows me to change history a bit.  I just don't want to accidentally purchase some massive game like War in the Pacific and get all overwhelmed and forget playing wargames all together! So I'm looking for a game that will help me learn the basics and won't kill the whole experience for me. The game doesn't have to be World War II if it is a good game to start into the genre. It seems like Panzer Corps may be the way to go. 
Panzer Corps (or the original Panzer General or Panzer General II) are beer & pretzels games. They are easy to learn and fun to play. Sort of introductory games for someone new to the wargaming genre. Another "wargame lite" with a bit of "Political options, research and upgrade of equipment, management of supply and resources...." is Strategic Command: European Theatre (which is actually an update of SSI's Clash of Steel). It is a little more complicated and is on a larger scale. Those are some games I have played in the past that come to mind that you might enjoy playing.  I am sure that others here can recommend other games of a similar vein which I am not familiar with. Edit: If I had seen your post, Airboy, I wouldn't have bothered with this one. [8|]

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Profile Search
11 JUL 2011 at 3:44pm

DoctorQuest

Centurion
Centurion

I would recommend Open General.         1. It is free.     2. It is a substantial update to what is effectively the Panzer General 2 engine.         http://luis-guzman.com/OpenGen.html    

Profile Search
11 JUL 2011 at 3:44pm

Knave

Centurion
Centurion

I might suggest Hearts of Iron II or one of it's modded counterparts.

Profile Search
11 JUL 2011 at 4:04pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By DoctorQuest
I would recommend Open General. 1. It is free. 2. It is a substantial update to what is effectively the Panzer General 2 engine. http://luis-guzman.com/OpenGen.html
Free is always a good place to look, indeed. [sm=00000622.gif]

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search
11 JUL 2011 at 5:14pm

GroggyGrognard

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Nefaro
        I would say they are more Intermediate level wargames.  Once you've played something like Panzercorps, and have that down well, a leap to Decisive Campaigns:WtP would be a good jump.          I say DC:WtP because it's very historically oriented, and has a lot of details of such.  That's been a wargaming staple since tabletop times. 
          +1.  DC:WtP is a great game.  IMHO one of the best PC games to come out in 2010. A good game to sink your beginning wargaming skills teeth into.
"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach." -Aldous Huxley

Profile Search
11 JUL 2011 at 6:17pm

bboyer66

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Knave
I might suggest Hearts of Iron II or one of it's modded counterparts.
Come on dude, for a beginner?

Profile Search
11 JUL 2011 at 8:34pm

Dale H

Commander
Commander

If you like turns & hexes you might consider John Tiller's games. I would start with a recent Squad Battles title. You could also try the Mius demo available from JT's website: johntillersoftware.com for a look at Panzer Campaigns.

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

I'd rather be right than be president. Henry Clay

Profile Search
11 JUL 2011 at 10:35pm

khill9702

Centurion
Centurion

My very first taste of wargaming was age of rifles, it was one of the few at the time that I quickly learned on my own as opposed to behemoths like War in the East.

Profile Search
13 JUL 2011 at 4:22pm

baylon5v

Centurion
Centurion

Just so everyone knows, I took the plunge with Panzer Corps. So far, it's amazing and I am very happy with my purchase
Thank you everyone for your advice, I would have never even considered Panzer Corps if you guys hadn't told me about it! 

Profile Search
13 JUL 2011 at 4:35pm

Greybriar

Commander
Commander

Just so everyone knows, I took the plunge with Panzer Corps. So far, it's amazing and I am very happy with my purchase
Thank you everyone for your advice, I would have never even considered Panzer Corps if you guys hadn't told me about it! 
You're welcome, babylon. I always try to help fellow gamers. I hope you enjoy Panzer Corps as much as I did Panzer General back in its day.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Profile Search

13 JUL 2011 at 6:33pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Woot! The Panzer General style is a great entry into wargaming.  Somewhat easy to pick up and learn yet it contains all the basics of more complicated ones.

The Old Guard

Profile Search
13 JUL 2011 at 6:34pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Once you've mastered that, there are plenty more to delve into. (double post)

The Old Guard

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Best game to get into war gaming for a beginner?

Page 2 of 2 :

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic