Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Who's gonna try RISE OF NATIONS?

Page 1

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Who's gonna try RISE OF NATIONS?
14 MAY 2003 at 11:45pm

Bushbee

Centurion
Centurion

Maybe you've already tried the demo. If so, I wanna hear about it. My machine doesn't like anti-drop, download software and at 170 MB the demo is untouchable. I won't have the money to get the game right away (20th, Tuesday).     This thread could be for RoN AAR's.

Profile Search

15 MAY 2003 at 2:38am

brent

Centurion
Centurion

I d/l the demo yesterday and spent about 2-3 hours today playing with it. It falls very securely into the Civilisation genre, you explore, build, exploit, train, and conquer... The demo plays out on a small map - but it appears you get to use most of the features of the game. You start with 1 city - London in this case, and have to build up various facilities: farms, markets, mines, woodcutting, barracks etc...each obviously with their own benefits, some enhancing others (refineries, granaries, sawmills) and some allowing you to train new types of units (dockyards, airports etc). you have to collect 6(?) types of resources to continue building...money, oil, metal, wood, and food. Once you have a University you also accumulate knowledge, which is spent to create new facilities. Each facility or unit has a cost of one or more resources. Some facilities have research projects (Temple...monotheism, University...scientific method) which enhance you abilities, and the influence of your civilisation. All of this research goes into researching along one of the four major tracks: military, economic, civilisation(?), and science. You need to reach higher levels of these tracks to build new units and facilities. Once you have achieved some levels along these tracks you can advance you civilisation to the next "age" (ancient...up to...information age), again letting you build newer types of stuff. Exploration is 2 tiered...at first you have a scout who can be set on autoexplore to roam about and see what is beyond your borders...they find resources which you can exploit with merchants (made in the marketplace facility) getting you more money and some other benefits, this shows up on a small strategic map as greyed out territory (as opposed to black unexplored), once you have an active unit or some such in the area the terrain is at it's brightest and you can see the opponents buildings or units also.   Graphically this is very fliud - not blocks or hexes, but it almost looks like water running ahead of your units, a nice graphic touch. The graphics are great - the character animations are superb - and the buildings really come to life. You see crops grow and get harvested etc...turrets come flying off of tanks when they are destroyed... One handy feature I found is the "Idle Citizen" button on the main central part of the interface...this takes you to one of your citizens who is not hard at work making your empire bigger so you can put them to work. Fighting units and citizens appear to be separate, except in one case where you can create militia, but I havent tried that yet. Another handy feature is an auto-cue for the production facilities, where you give it a unit mix (one archers, one hoplites) and it will crank them out in that order ad nauseum. This is a feature I wish was in Total War too. The interface is pretty straightforward, I was able to figure out how to do most things without trying too hard, left and right clicking on things seemed to cover almost everything. I have not figured out quite how to get airplanes flying yet, but I have managed to see how effective the SAM sites are against my enemies bombers. Also nukes are very effective...the armageddon clock is a "fun" touch too. Combat between units is pretty abstract - they shoot at each other and the little bar goes from green to yellow to black and they die. Graphically it is very well presented with smoke arrows flames explosions etc...but Total War this isn't, but it isn't supposed to be either.
There is more to the game I haven't explored - garrisoning troops, aircraft, naval stuff (everything from sloops to aircraft carriers) Diplomacy, spies etc....There appears to be a fair amount of depth to the game. All in all I would say if you like Civ type games, this is a go. If you like the Total War type games, this is also worth a close look, but don't expect the same detailed combat. Say 8 out of 10 for an initial impression.
Unselected pithy comment goes here.

Profile Search
15 MAY 2003 at 3:09am

Bushbee

Centurion
Centurion

brent, thank you immensely for the detailed post. It sound like it borrows much of the "successful" working interface from Age of Empires. A game which I can never get enough of, but lacks the definite depth of Total War and the Civ's. The Civ's, on the other hand, take some of the stuff that should be easy (resources, commerce) and draw it out too much.     It does sound like the best of both worlds. I've often thought if you could zoom into the cities on Civ3, ad have a town to manage just like Age of Empires, then a complete strategy game you would have.     As for Total War, it's all it's own. I don't compare it to anything, because it's such a good game. All it needs is a whole world map, and maybe a world war 2 version.

Profile Search
15 MAY 2003 at 8:42pm

Raw_Beef

Centurion
Centurion

I downloaded the demo yesterday night. I played the training mission and then i really went at it with a quick battle. Huge map, Great lakes type, 8 players. This was really really fun. In the early stages there was little war. As time progressed those nations which were not secure were eaten by their neighbors (i ate one myself) This proved to be a key point in gaining a dominant hand in the late game. By the time the industrial age rolled around the power was distributed into two blocks of alliances. I was in one, as the major power, with a strong ally on my side we helt about 45% of the map. The enemy held like 30% and there was one lone nation. The nations who were strong were the ones who had eaten the little ones early in the game. The territory and resources this provided were key. I decided to get my war on and invaded a neighboring country from two points. I had the superior technology and they quickly fell (lancers on panzers!) I then got greedy. I invaded the next country down. Big mistake. I lacked the required knowledge of just how warfare works in RON. It is simple yet complex if that makes any sense. My forces got bogged down in a fight for a major city, taking it and losing it numerous times. Then the other nations decided to attack me on my other front! I felt like Germany 1943. Too many fronts and not enough manpower. My allies deserted me and i fought a long campaign of withdrawl across half the map. then some whack *** victory for the enemy comes up "World government" i was a little irked because even though i was losing the battle was VERY fun. This game has a high level of strategy to it, i cant wait to get home and play it some more.
I have no legs

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Who's gonna try RISE OF NATIONS?

Page 1

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic