Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Retrogamathon - Rails Across America

Page 1

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Retrogamathon - Rails Across America
31 JUL 2011 at 6:42pm

tgb123

Commander
Commander

I reinstalled on a whim, and, for my money, it's still the best railroad tycoon/business sim out there, taking the best parts of RRT and 1830, and throwing in a system for playing dirty tricks on competitors to boot. It's still available from Amazon for about $5, I believe, and runs just fine on my modern Vista system.

Profile Search

31 JUL 2011 at 7:09pm

bbmike

Centurion
Centurion

... bbmike waits for MarkShot to stop by... [sm=whistling2.gif]

Profile Search
31 JUL 2011 at 7:20pm

Reich36

Commander
Commander

... bbmike waits for MarkShot to stop by... [sm=whistling2.gif]    [sm=00000613.gif] Just kidding.  

Profile Search
31 JUL 2011 at 7:45pm

Reich36

Commander
Commander

um could someone delete this post?  Sorry for the double post.    

Profile Search
31 JUL 2011 at 8:04pm

MarkShot

Commander
Commander

Since you asked ... I do own it and only played it for a couple of weeks.  I thought it was really poor.  The concept was decent, but it was trivially easy to win.  It was sad to see that this was from the same programmer who worked on 1830 (that's why I bought it).  Wasn't even worth it at iPad prices of $0.99.  Not sure where it is now; it may have gone out in the trash with the other unclaimed games of the move packing. 1830 the best RR related game both in conceptual design and AI programming ever. RT1/RTD - The best of the tycoon series (challenging game play and AI) RT2 & RT3 - Decent graphics and mechanics, but very weak AI SMR - It could have been great, but it was a watered down lite game to capitalize on the Sid Meier brand name

Profile Search
31 JUL 2011 at 8:09pm

MarkShot

Commander
Commander

TTD + TTD Patch & Open TTD look to both be really impressive tycoon games especially when it comes to track layouts and signaling.  Sadly, I never had the time to really learn these. I just bought Trainz for the iPad last night ... I don't play games anymore, but it was $0.99 on sale ... it's hard to go wrong at that price if only to check it out some day.

Profile Search
31 JUL 2011 at 8:35pm

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

I found Rails Across America quite fun myself. If you setup some house rules it can be quite challenging. I found playing the early game and setting the end game at around 1900 the most challenging and fun. I really enjoyed the backstabbing and sort of side game of thief or crook. The ai plays a decent enough game building rails all over the map unlike RRT II & III and will beat you to many of the goal rewards like first transport from east coast to west coast etc.            Transport Tycoon Deluxe really improved upon itself and definitely became more challenging. You don't just work to have the mostest anymore like the origional now you must work to have the most "efficient" transport industry in loads per mile etc. I find myself behind the ai many times even though I have a bunch more than it does, but, it knows how to build efficient transport lines and to a tee the exact amount of tiles to build to get the most from each haul. Most players won't mess with this kind of detail but that's how you win in Transport Tycoon Deluxe now.

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Retrogamathon - Rails Across America

Page 1

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic