Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: New Site/Forum Features & Updates

Page 1 of 6 :

17 SEP 2011 at 10:42pm

Sigma One

General
General

New Site Features & Updates

As you have noticed, the Wargamer Forum has received an upgrade! You're going to notice a whole bunch of new features and buttons and fun things to do, so let me be upfront in saying that there is a chance you might run into an issue or two. Any problems you come across, post in this thread with the problem you encountered, your browser, its version and your operating system. If you are experiencing problems and cannot log in to the forums, send all problems to help@wargamer.com. 

We appreciate your patience in waiting as we updated the site and apologize for any inconvenience! Happy posting!

New Forum Features & Updates

We hope your experience has been going smoothly with our new forums! Our web developer has been working hard at making sure everything works and making fixes and of course adding new features! Below are some links and features that we have added or would like to point out. This thread will serve as the vehicle for posting any new updates and changes we make to the forums in terms of functionality.

First up you'll notice that in the upper left we have the "Big Three" links. All are pretty much self-explantory here, but it's nice to see them packed into a convienent section.

Here in the upper right of the forums is another group of links. Search is obviously for finding posts or users. Active Topics will take take you the active topics page, where it will list all new topics created or topics with new posts in them. The newest and more prominent addition here is the Facebook button. This will tie your account to your Wargamer account. With this you can, with the click of a "Like" button, let friends and family know about articles or topics that you like. You can even set your profile picture to be your Facebook profile picture as well!

As mentioned before, we have the new active topics page. What this will list are new topics and posts in topics, an easy way to keep up to date with any goings-on in the Wargamer Forum. We've added a "X new posts" label to let you guys know how many posts have been made since your last visit. Clicking on it will take you to the last read post, a handy way to go right where you left off rather than hunting down that certain post. At the bottom is a pull-down menu that will let you choose the time period of when new topics and posts showed up. You can go back as little as an hour to 4 months if you so choose!

Keep your eyes out for this topic for new additions as we go into more detail of any new features that are added!

Last edited by Szmania : 28 MAY 2012 1:23am
Profile Search

18 SEP 2011 at 12:53am

spelk

Commander
Commander

Well done on the transition Sigma!

One thing I've noticed and it's not a biggie, but in some of the existing posts web links are showing up as 

[link]http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=3207[/link]

without the hyperlinking.

Check my links posted in this thread for an example: http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=554147

I'm currently using Chrome, Win7.

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 1:47am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

OK one BIG issue here please don't make me have to UNCHECK this "Notify me via e-mail when someone replies" everytime I post something!!!

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 2:02am

JudgeDredd_1

Centurion
Centurion

I'm having to login each time I visit the forums

Also, the last time I logged in, it took me back to the thread I was looking at and the Message box at the bottom (for posting) wasn't displaying. When I looked, it still hadn't logged me in. I had to go to the login page and login again.

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 2:19am

undercovergeek

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By JudgeDredd

I'm having to login each time I visit the forums

Also, the last time I logged in, it took me back to the thread I was looking at and the Message box at the bottom (for posting) wasn't displaying. When I looked, it still hadn't logged me in. I had to go to the login page and login again.

same for me - and youve only got 1 post to your name JD

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 2:25am

John_in_VA

Centurion
Centurion

Something seems to be a little flaky with the login; maybe similar to the behavior Judge Dredd is reporting. When I try to login, the first try is always unsuccessful and it returns to the screen from which logon was attempted, displaying "Please login or create an account" as it did before. One or two more tries finally yields success. Happens both at the main and forum screens. I haven't tried enough times to tell whether it's related to logging in with your user id versus your email, or whether you did an orderly logout on your last visit (versus just closing that browser tab, etc.) makes any difference. I'm using IE9 on Win7 64-bit.

Apart from that rumple, new forums look very nice! Great job!

Edit: Hey!! I just noticed that while the number of my posts remained the same, the criteria have been changed and I've been demoted from Commander to Centurion!

Last edited by John_in_VA : 18 SEP 2011 3:31am
Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 2:48am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Yeah where's the "save as cookie" for logging in? So we don't have to type out all that ID stuff everytime we visit?

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 6:11am

cmurphy

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Wolverine101

Yeah where's the "save as cookie" for logging in? So we don't have to type out all that ID stuff everytime we visit?

Hey "Quote" is working again!

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 6:43am

Knave

Centurion
Centurion

Seems to be working for me okay so far!

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 6:45am

Blakjack

Centurion
Centurion

The new forum's look amazingly cool... and the formatting is back!    And the emoticons!  Well done!

If you build an idiot-proof computer, someone will make a better idiot.

The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 6:45am

Blakjack

Centurion
Centurion

Is a new ranking structure in place?  I was a Commander, now showing as Centurion?

If you build an idiot-proof computer, someone will make a better idiot.

The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Last edited by Blakjack : 18 SEP 2011 6:46am
Profile Search

18 SEP 2011 at 6:51am

bbmike

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By cmurphy

For me too! The skies clear, the sun comes out... 

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 7:46am

Staggerwing

Colonel
Colonel

It's nice to have all the posting toys back as well. It'll be interesting to see what Youtube clips get embedded in the R&P forum...

One thing (so far...) I've noticed is that you still can't search a member's posts, just the threads they started themselves. Also, my 'join'

date is wrong. I became a memeber sometime in 2005.

Wit Ye further, or how...?

-Voluspa (Poetic Eddas)

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 7:53am

Sigma One

General
General

OK one BIG issue here please don't make me have to UNCHECK this "Notify me via e-mail when someone replies" everytime I post something!!!

For those that want to have the "Notify me via e-mail when someone replies" off by default, go to "Member Home" at the top, then "Edit Profile". Halfway down in "Forum Preferences" should be a box where you can uncheck getting emails on reply to posts.

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 8:07am

rwenstrup

Centurion
Centurion

There used to be a summary of recent forum messages on the home page...how do I get that back? It was my favorite area to browse...

Thanks...

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 8:12am

Staggerwing

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By rwenstrup

There used to be a summary of recent forum messages on the home page...how do I get that back? It was my favorite area to browse...

Thanks...

There's no list on the homepage but the forum home has an 'active topic' list button in the top right whose timeframeyou can customize.

Wit Ye further, or how...?

-Voluspa (Poetic Eddas)

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 8:44am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By cmurphy

And how bout that you picked ME! to quote first. I'm flattened.

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 8:48am

Centurion40

General
General

I'm dizzy... I keep getting bumped-off and have to log in again!

"I love Anne Hathaway and her penchant for nudity." -The Dawg of Metal

The Old Guard

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 9:07am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Ok something else that's becoming a PITA.....if you don't post something or activate your mouse in a certain amount of time it logs you out!?? I went to get my steak and fixings and when I got back I was logged out. This must be fixed immediately if not sooner.

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 9:44am

GroggyGrognard

Centurion
Centurion

While I can appreciate the substantial effort and to a certain degree, the necessity of the wargamer site overhaul to catch up with the rest of the technological world, I just don't like the new look and structure.  The main page is way too busy with the article section and news section blown up--the articles looking like they are piled on top of each other. I preferred the old look on the main web page because the articles had a structured "left to right" look to them that was easier on the eye and easier to navigate.  Like a few others here that have voiced already, I liked seeing the latest forum topic posts on the main page. 

In short, the old main page flowed nicely to the eye--kind of like reading a well layed out, structured newspaper.

Just my two cents...

And crap! I'm a centurion...again!

"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach." -Aldous Huxley

Last edited by GroggyGrognard : 18 SEP 2011 9:46am
Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 11:00am

Fetrik

Centurion
Centurion

I liked the old front page a lot more

Profile Search

18 SEP 2011 at 12:46pm

Sigma One

General
General

Sorry for all the small issues you guys seem to be having. We are working hard on fixing the issues as they show up. We really appreciate the patience.

Some things being worked on and fixed:

• Ads relocated to below the posts.
  • Fixed an IE9 color issue. We recommend using Google Chrome for a much better browser experience.
  • Forgot Password link fixed.
  • Some login issues have been fixed. If you still have to login each visit please let me know. It seems to be a cookie issue. I need to know what browser and OS you are using so we can debug it further.
  • A bunch of other error fixes. If you get an error page rest assured our developer gets an email within seconds to debug the issue.
Our developer is working around the clock this last couple of months to get this new site up and running. Once everything smooths out im sure you guys will love these forums 

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 1:45pm

Fetrik

Centurion
Centurion

One thing that is missing is a read new posts button for threads. Atleast i only spot a go to last post button.

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 2:08pm

Herman Hum

Commander
Commander

The Announcements and Stickies and in the General Game sub-forum already suck up 1/2 the entire page.  Any chance they can be moved or that users can have the option to minimize stuff like that?  Personally, I never look at any of that stuff.

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Profile Search
18 SEP 2011 at 3:06pm

Dale H

Commander
Commander

Testing, 1, 2, 3, 4...

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

I'd rather be right than be president. Henry Clay

Profile Search

Page 1 of 6 :

Jump to:
7 Members Subscribed To This Topic