Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: A Valley Without Wind - Hands On

Page 1 of 2 :

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > A Valley Without Wind - Hands On
20 SEP 2011 at 3:13pm

spelk

Commander
Commander

Over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/20/hands-on-a-valley-without-wind/

Profile Search

20 SEP 2011 at 4:00pm

AAshbery76

Commander
Commander

Hmmm is that ment to look good? I do not get it.

Profile Search
20 SEP 2011 at 4:18pm

rossntu

Commander
Commander

I don't think the graphics are going to improve - they are probably not even Shadow of the Beast 2 standard from the Amiga days (although in fairness that may be harsh).  That said, I will pick this up on day 1 as it is such a unique idea.  I wish it had been done from an isometric viewpoint, but the fact that it is a sideways scroller could still work ok.  Huge, open worlds, that are procedurally generated allow meaningful exploration sounds great.

Profile Search
20 SEP 2011 at 5:37pm

Wodin

Commander
Commander

This game is going to have to be massive on gameplay and new ideas...otherwise I see it being a flop...I do like the look of the scenary but watching vids of the characters and animations now they look terrible. The characters look out of place compared to the scenary art style aswell..

Profile Search
20 SEP 2011 at 6:26pm

Zerohour

Centurion
Centurion

That game looks horrendous. I know they are indie and all, but would it be that expensive to get someone to draw the graphics for them ?

Being indie isn't an excuse to release such a eye sore.

Last edited by Zerohour : 20 SEP 2011 6:28pm
Profile Search
20 SEP 2011 at 6:42pm

Staggerwing

Colonel
Colonel

All thoughts of gameplay aside, I'm going to ask again...if it's the 'Valley Without Wind'...then what the frakk is making the trees sway..!?!

Wit Ye further, or how...?

-Voluspa (Poetic Eddas)

Profile Search
20 SEP 2011 at 7:02pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Staggerwing

if it's the 'Valley Without Wind'...then what the frakk is making the trees sway..!?!

"A Valley Without Wind" is the goal of the game. Wind being a metaphor.

Profile Search
23 SEP 2011 at 12:56pm

spelk

Commander
Commander

Must be getting close, because Chris has released a glimpse into a "Getting Started" guide

http://christophermpark.blogspot.com/2011/09/valley-without-wind-getting-started.html

Profile Search
23 SEP 2011 at 1:12pm

tigersfan

Centurion
Centurion

Purchasable beta SHOULD be out on Monday.

Profile Search
23 SEP 2011 at 1:33pm

rossntu

Commander
Commander

According to the website, the beta will be available on the 26th.  I think it's doing a Minecraft too, so you can download the beta if you have pre ordered the game, although I may be imagining that!

Edit : Doh! Too late

Last edited by ross_ntu : 23 SEP 2011 1:35pm
Profile Search
23 SEP 2011 at 2:08pm

donkey_roxor

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By ross_ntu

According to the website, the beta will be available on the 26th.  I think it's doing a Minecraft too, so you can download the beta if you have pre ordered the game, although I may be imagining that!

No preorder necessary to demo. According to the forum:

Q: Can I get in on the beta?

A: Absolutely, 100% yes.  How it works is this: once we hit beta, we make the game available for preorder purchase, or for demo for free.  So that means that you can plunk down some money to get the full beta at a discount, and that means you've got the full game forever after.  Or you can be more cautious and just enjoy the beta versions of the demo as they progress, and purchase later if it suits you.

Profile Search

23 SEP 2011 at 3:48pm

MC82

Commander
Commander

Looking forward to the beta.  I don't think the game looks quite as ugly as some are saying, but then I just played through Avernum 1 recently and that's about as ugly as they come (note- NOT "charmingly retro-looking" or something, just flat out ugly).

Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 10:02am

spelk

Commander
Commander

Its available to pre-order NOW! @ a heavily discounted price. (approx £7 in GBP, $10 for US)

http://arcengames.com/w/index.php/games/avww-features

Or you can download the open beta and trial it to level 6.

Last edited by spelk : 26 SEP 2011 10:04am
Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 12:17pm

Ubercat

Commander
Commander

Demo doesn't work. Firefox will D/L it but it's impossible to run or even move the file anywhere. I tried with IE next. It D/L'ed, gave a popup error message, and then closed.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

“I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers.”
-William H. Gascoyne

Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 12:21pm

Tpek

Commander
Commander

Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 12:44pm

tigersfan

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Ubercat

Demo doesn't work. Firefox will D/L it but it's impossible to run or even move the file anywhere. I tried with IE next. It D/L'ed, gave a popup error message, and then closed.

I work for Arcen, did you try downloading it direct from our site? Or was it from a mirror?

Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 12:49pm

son_of_montfort

Colonel
Colonel

I ordered and downloaded the demo/full version and it worked for me. Do be careful that your anti-virus isn't deleting the file. My Norton's did this because there were only a small amount of users (something it does with EVERY new file).

I haven't gotten to play much, but what I did play looked interesting.

As a funny side note, the forum title for this was chopped off and it said "A Valley without Win."

Son_of_Montfort "Slander is a poison which extinguishes charity, both in the slanderer and in the persons who listen to it." Bernard of Clairvaux

Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 1:06pm

Tpek

Commander
Commander

I tried the trial a bit, but so far found there's not much to this game. You choose a character (randomly generated from preset looks, stats and name), and and then just get to side-scroll a bit a starting village. You can craft some scrolls and spells, and even these wooden platforms you can lay in the air, but that's it.

The warp scroll does nothing other than open and close the minimap. The transmogrify into a bat turns you into a flight capable bat, but you continuously take damage. The electric jump spell, once acquired works automatically if you double jump. And that's it. Even the difficulty changer does nothing really (since there are no enemies or other zones to explore, difficulty does not mean anything).

It is an early build of a demo though, so I guess it is just to give a little intro.

Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 1:12pm

tigersfan

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Tpek

I tried the trial a bit, but so far found there's not much to this game. You choose a character (randomly generated from preset looks, stats and name), and and then just get to side-scroll a bit a starting village. You can craft some scrolls and spells, and even these wooden platforms you can lay in the air, but that's it.

The warp scroll does nothing other than open and close the minimap. The transmogrify into a bat turns you into a flight capable bat, but you continuously take damage. The electric jump spell, once acquired works automatically if you double jump. And that's it. Even the difficulty changer does nothing really (since there are no enemies or other zones to explore, difficulty does not mean anything).

It is an early build of a demo though, so I guess it is just to give a little intro.

The game is far from complete, but there is a bunch more than that in it. There are lots of enemies, bosses, etc.

There is a getting started guide here that may help you: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,9119.0.html .

Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 1:12pm

tigersfan

Centurion
Centurion

The game is far from complete, but there is a bunch more than that in it. There are lots of enemies, bosses, etc.

There is a getting started guide here that may help you: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,9119.0.html .

Last edited by tigersfan : 26 SEP 2011 1:17pm
Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 1:21pm

tigersfan

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By tigersfan

I work for Arcen, did you try downloading it direct from our site? Or was it from a mirror?

If you continue to have this issue, or if anyone else does. There are more download mirrors on the "download" page of the site.

Profile Search

26 SEP 2011 at 1:23pm

Ubercat

Commander
Commander

I'm pretty sure that I D/L'd directly from Arcen as I didn't click on any mirrors. I have Norton 360 which typically warns me if it doesn't trust a D/L file, then gives me the option to D/L anyway.

edit: One more try from a mirror. Will report back.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

“I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers.”
-William H. Gascoyne

Last edited by Ubercat : 26 SEP 2011 1:24pm
Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 1:24pm

x4000

Centurion
Centurion

Whoa, yeah, there's a ton more to it than that.  We've had alpha testers put in "five or six dozen hours" to quote them; and I know they still didn't see all the content that's there even now.  And several others put in north of 30 hours in a week's time.  It looks like you never left the starting town, so that would be pretty underwhelming for sure. 

Also be sure to actually open your inventory and check out what the tooltips say on the various spells.  For instance, the warp scroll opens your region map so that you can selet where to warp to (you have to already have been there).  In that first town, of course, the warp scrolls are again pointless because it's just the town.

Hope that helps!

Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 1:26pm

x4000

Centurion
Centurion

I'm pretty sure that I D/L'd directly from Arcen as I didn't click on any mirrors. I have Norton 360 which typically warns me if it doesn't trust a D/L file, then gives me the option to D/L anyway.

edit: One more try from a mirror. Will report back.

Direct from us is actually from Amazon S3.  But the file in question is working for other folks, so I don't think the file is actually broken -- I think it just didn't completely download, for whatever strange reason.  You might try the Vulturis mirror if you're in Europe, as that should give you a really fast download in that area.

Profile Search
26 SEP 2011 at 1:26pm

Wodin

Commander
Commander

Just downloading the demo now...I'm very curious...yet sceptical...yet intrigued.

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > A Valley Without Wind - Hands On

Page 1 of 2 :

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic