Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Shrapnel Free Version vs. CD Version

Page 1

23 OCT 2011 at 9:49pm

McHugh

Centurion
Centurion

I have been playing the free version of Steel Panthers WWII from Shrapnel Games on my old PC which uses a 4 X 3 monitor by PBEM.  I am interested in hearing comments and opinions from people who own the CD version as to whether it is a significant improvement over the free version.   I might purchase the CD version so that I can play it on my newer PC which uses a wide screen monitor currently set at a resolution of 1680 X 1050.  I am assuming that the CD version can display the game at this resolution.  Thanks.

Profile Search

26 OCT 2011 at 10:01am

Oche_1

Centurion
Centurion

I use a 24 inch monitor for both current CD versions of WINSPMBT and WINSPWW2 have a "desktop" resolution which fits the whole monitor size when game mode is "windowed". I made the transition to CD version about 2 years ago and i can testilfy that the graphics improvements are WAY significant, not to mention the other advantages that the CD version has such as the 999 slots available for PBEM unlike the 5 slot limit of the free version, editor utilities, OP fire system, etc.

Profile Search
26 OCT 2011 at 12:59pm

Sarsen

Centurion
Centurion

There's a few benefits of the CD version:

PBEM Campaigns

Show Formation ID

OpFire filtering

et al...

But the main benefit is the screen size/resolution.

I was playing SPWW2 on a 17 inch CRT monitor at 1152 x 864, and that was so much better than 800 x 600 that I stopped playing SPMBT because I didn't have the CD version for MBT.

But then my 70 year old monitor (in monitor years, about the same as dog years) finally died and I was forced to purchase a 1920 x 1080 LCD :violin:

SPWW2/MBT (with CD) now has a button that can automatically set the game at whatever screen size/res you are using, and WOW, it made my old monitor seem like I was watching tele in the 1950s

I love the fact that I can see so much more of the battlefield on one screen, without having to pan around and try to build up a mental picture of where everyone is.

Sarsen

Last edited by Sarsen : 26 OCT 2011 1:01pm
Profile Search
27 OCT 2011 at 3:03am

manzopc

Centurion
Centurion

I haven't seen any screenshot of CD version of SPWW2 or SPMBT. It is not clear to me if it's just a matter of seeing more of the battlefield, or the graphics are actually improved in terms of sprites and landscape.

Any comment?

Thanks in advance.

Riccardo

Profile Search
27 OCT 2011 at 7:17am

Oche_1

Centurion
Centurion

Here's a few pictures i took:

MAX ZOOM on both WINSPWW2 and WINSPMBT:

Profile Search
27 OCT 2011 at 7:26am

manzopc

Centurion
Centurion

Thank you very much.

It seems that graphics were improved, even if not to today standards. Anyway, we all know that graphics are not so important in a tactical masterpiece like Steel Panthers, so my next problem will be: how to find the time to play some good old SP scenarios between sessions of Battle Academy and Panzer Corps (and FIFA12 on X360...)?

Riccardo

Profile Search
27 OCT 2011 at 7:40am

Oche_1

Centurion
Centurion

I find myself asking that same question again and again thru time, but i always come back for more Steel Panthers because it is undisputed in tactical wargaming genre.

Profile Search
28 OCT 2011 at 2:23pm

Dion_1

Centurion
Centurion

After 300 games I'm still looking forward to playing. Don't think I would be so "gung ho" about this game if I didn't have the CD version.

[b][i]Wargaming: The art of fighting without fighting![/i][/b]

Profile Search
30 OCT 2011 at 2:55pm

V22 Osprey

Centurion
Centurion

CD Versions add allot of useful capabilities that free version just doesn't has. Now that both games now support any size resolution, this makes the games even more attactive. The extra utilities included on the CD plus the games already powerful in-game editor creates a scenario editor's dream.

I actually really like the graphics. They are simple and 2D, yet they are detailed, and very crisp. For me, these are the prefect graphics. The higher resolution makes the graphics look even better.

What keeps me coming back? The  fact that you can literally NEVER run out of things to do while at same time using a proven, mature, and fantastic gaming system. The limitless editing capabilities, the most powerful battle generator and campaign system of ANY game, and the simple fact the the games include over 100 countries to play around with, with EVERY Soldier and Vehicle from 1930 - 2020(between the two games) which 90 years of warfare covered in just two games.

Profile Search
31 OCT 2011 at 5:28pm

Oche_1

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By V22 Osprey

CD Versions add allot of useful capabilities that free version just doesn't has. Now that both games now support any size resolution, this makes the games even more attactive. The extra utilities included on the CD plus the games already powerful in-game editor creates a scenario editor's dream.

I actually really like the graphics. They are simple and 2D, yet they are detailed, and very crisp. For me, these are the prefect graphics. The higher resolution makes the graphics look even better.

What keeps me coming back? The  fact that you can literally NEVER run out of things to do while at same time using a proven, mature, and fantastic gaming system. The limitless editing capabilities, the most powerful battle generator and campaign system of ANY game, and the simple fact the the games include over 100 countries to play around with, with EVERY Soldier and Vehicle from 1930 - 2020(between the two games) which 90 years of warfare covered in just two games.

Totally agree, remains undisputed, endless replay value with tons of different weapons systems across 90 years of warfare.

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 11:59am

Wodin

Commander
Commander

The higher resolutions alone is what tempts me. I'm a tactical obsessive but still haven't coughed up. I suppose it's a must have though. So one day, though it is the price that stops me from buying, it's an old game now that may have hours and hours of game but I just don't feel the price for what is an old game really in line. Sadly we have only this and SB (oh and now tigers unleashed) that caters for  turn based squad level games. Such a shame as I believe we have the power now for the ultimate tactical turn based game. However none are being worked on and those that are are just a continuation of a current series i.e Squad battles. If i had the talent I'd be busy developing. As I've said countless time sof why oh why was Combat leader cancelled, that still rattles me even today.

Profile Search

25 DEC 2011 at 4:05am

DCosta

Centurion
Centurion

I would love to see Squad battles type counters in winSPWW2 rather than the little soldiers\tanks. Though have a top down view of tanks.

Is this possible to mod?

Profile Search
27 DEC 2011 at 9:32am

Oche_1

Centurion
Centurion

not sure, maybe asking here might throw some light to this question http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249

Profile Search
3 FEB 2012 at 1:04pm

ArizonaTank

Centurion
Centurion

How does the Shrapnel free version compare to the old Matrix free version?

"No, No, mix them all up.  I'm tired of state's rights." 

Union General George Thomas' reply to his chaplain, when asked if the dead from the Chatanooga campaign should be buried by state as had been done at Gettysburg.

Profile Search
3 FEB 2012 at 6:35pm

Oche_1

Centurion
Centurion

Both have their pros and cons. Most players will probably tell you that the shrapnel version is better because it has been constantly revised, true. Matrix free version has not been further upgraded, graphic/monitor resolutions are very limited. Matrix version has manual opportunity fire meaning the players make the call instead of using filter parameters for op fire. Matrix has head to head match up thru IP address not only PBEM like shrapnel versions. Matrix version has way more and better weapon sounds than shrapnel version. The Matrix versions was done around the Steel Panthers III engine unlike shrapnel's which was polished out of Steel Panthers 2 engine, reason why IMHO WINSPMBT fits better to this engine than WINSPWW2. If the matrix version would be regularly upgraded as the shrapnel one then there would no question about which one is better, in the meantime i choose WINSPWW2.    

Check this out just in case:

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=59892

Profile Search
9 FEB 2012 at 8:50am

bailey4500

Centurion
Centurion

Yup, you can set resolution to your desktop size. Great thing about the cd version is you can play it at high resolution without it stretching out and looking weird. If you're serious about Steel Panthers definatly get the cd version.

Profile Search
9 FEB 2012 at 8:51am

bailey4500

Centurion
Centurion

Oh, and the matrix one stinks compared to the shapnel version.

Profile Search

Page 1

Jump to:
2 Members Subscribed To This Topic