Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: WOTY 2011

Page 3 of 4 :

15 DEC 2011 at 1:23pm

Bison36

Colonel
Colonel

Damn straight Battlefield Academy is a great game. 

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations - James Madison

Profile Search

15 DEC 2011 at 1:28pm

Michael Dorosh

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By JudgeDredd

I'm not particularly against DRM - some of it is a real pita though...I'm just pointing out the possible difference (in clientelle) between mass sell FPS games and limited sell wargames. Just maybe...

BFC got behind the curve by not supporting online co-op play earlier as well. I went to lunch with a friend a couple of weeks ago and got to talking about online gaming. He's not a wargamer by any stretch of the imagination, but it turns out he's a huge Battlefield 3 freak. It's not necessarily the subject matter that appeals as much as the cameraderie, I think, because he's huge into the online play and has regular sessions with friends - it's almost like team sports to them. I work in health care and hear people talk at the office about going to play "paintball" and something about the whole multiplayer, quasi-military thing just seems to appeal to people. They had Call of Duty in the mainstream on The Office for an episode or two. When you've got Rashida Jones playing your product in prime time on national TV, that's pretty good marketing, accidental or not.

Maybe Combat Mission would still be too "serious" to really penetrate the mainstream, but you really guarantee your game is not going to go anywhere by not fixing the TCP/IP gap in the current WEGO, and not looking at getting some kind of online co-op play going. However, given the unique nature of CM - it's not a FPS or simulation like Red Orchestra or Armed Assault, etc. which could be an advantage.

It may be that BFC is wise not to sink investment time into another risky feature that might not pay off in the end anyway, but if I recall correctly, I thought the developers were the ones who suggested that online co-op was something they themselves were mulling as a future possibility. 

Playing CM in real time with larger units would be helped by the ability to have teams of players, without pauses, and be a unique experience among what is currently out there.

Profile Search
15 DEC 2011 at 6:30pm

Mikeck

Commander
Commander

I would say Combat Mission, Distant Worlds Shakturi/legends and Shogun 2.  Although in all honesty, I am currently addicted to skyrim.

"love is preserved by link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails."

Profile Search
15 DEC 2011 at 9:51pm

son_of_montfort

Colonel
Colonel

Skyrim DOES have a Civil War... so it COULD be considered a wargame...

Son_of_Montfort "Slander is a poison which extinguishes charity, both in the slanderer and in the persons who listen to it." Bernard of Clairvaux

Profile Search
15 DEC 2011 at 10:24pm

Stryker07

Centurion
Centurion

1. CMBN - thank god that their e-licence is the one thing vista doesn't have an issue with, lol.

Meh, that's it for 2011 wargames I've played this year, but it would be #1 even if I had played 20!

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 2:32am

Wodin

Commander
Commander

The end of last year we seeme dto have alot of big new wragmes to play around with that came out that year aswell as one or two to look forward to. This year has been decidedly quiet. Lets hope we get some surprises next year. We could do with some I feel.

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 2:37am

nikb

Centurion
Centurion

1. Squad battles (Red Victory)...by far for me.

2. Squad battles (Falklands)

3. Campaign Liepzieg

3. Battlefield Academy...for the light hearted fun!

Nik

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 2:51am

jomni

Commander
Commander

You guys keep mentioning Battlefield Academy but that game was released in 2010?  Or do you mean the expansions?

Also the game is now called Battle Academy.

My vote goes to Shogun 2 and Battleifled 3.

The Old Guard  The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 6:29am

PeterC

Centurion
Centurion

Could it be that BFC's very accessibility, it's attentiveness to its base, that has gotten the company into trouble? You rarely see the level of ansgt, the sense of betrayal apperent among some fans over perceived bugs, missing features or game delivery policies as you do on the Battlefront forums. This despite a history of listenening to complaints and diligent patching. With this company grievances get personal fast to an extent almost unique in the business.

One of the attractive aspects of their forum was consistent interaction by Steve. Some found him abrasive and thin-skinned. I didn't. I thought he was informative and fun. He'd justify desiign decisions, argue military arcana and rap the knuckles of the obnoxious (usually deserved). He shared his design philosophy with the crowd. Recently he's gone into Purdah, maybe a wise idea. Perhaps we prefer our game designers remote, like say Grigsby or others who speak through surrogates and don't interact with the likes of us.

Last edited by PeterC : 16 DEC 2011 6:54am
Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 7:34am

buzznaut

Centurion
Centurion

Maybe not all of the following were released in 2011, but they've all been my favorites during the last year......

1- Command Ops: BfTB

Micromanage or macromanage, RT MP capable (with a pause option! i'm looking at you CM:BfN), whipsmart AI. This one has the engine, support, and depth of a true classic game in my mind. Would love to see a 3d map capability (like battle command), and ability for campaign but otherwise this one is my favorite of the year.

2- Unity of Command

Cool new interface, sharp, time-managable scenarios/campaign, challenging AI. Surprise hit of the year in my mind.

3- CMBN

Loss of MP functionality (or at least no gain since CM:SF), somewhat unwiedly UI, poor display of information (too much clicking around) drops this one down for me and makes it somewhat less enjoyable to actually play. However, when it comes to tactical base WWII combat simulation there's nothing else that comes as close to reality. Whether thats much fun to play is a matter of opinion I suppose. The dynamic campaign "Devils Descent" basically highlights the awesomeness of whats in there for me, though.

4- Memoir '44 Online

Maybe some would not consider this a wargame, but its just a lot of damn fun as a 2 person MP game.

5- PC

stfront

Love the additional features which provide more "playability" in my opinion that the CMx2 franchise, but just cant seem to get into it.

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 8:37am

Azzurri

General
General

Hi. My name is Longblade.

It is better to die by a swords quick thrust than to be impaled for a lifetime upon the sharp tongue of a woman.-Grimjack

Profile Search

16 DEC 2011 at 1:04pm

Zonso

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By PeterC

Originally Posted By BlondKnight

I wouldnt necessarily call them unscrupulous but theyre no friend to us as gamers.  I dont want to have to upload my elicense to a server in Taiwan, or Uzbekistan, or God knows where prior to me reloading my laptop.  

That's it? Lots of games have DRM including Company of Heroes and Grand Theft Auto but you don't see the outraged fury directed at those companies as you see with BFC. It seems Is it something specific to the wargaoming community? The persopnalities of the moderators on their forums? They have a banned poster/best tester who's a Don Quixote-ish crusade dumping on their products at any available review site. I find it a most curious phenomenon.

Perhaps it's because wargamers are (mostly) nice people  with a knowledge that ripping off the developers will kill the love of their life - and therefore feel agrieved that they are treated like theives by being made to "jump through the proverbial hoops" to get a game to work...

That's interesting and a little ironic. When BFC, then BTS, came on the scene in '98 or '99 their manisfesto was to make games gamers wanted and that included no copy protection at the time. However, (war) gamers decided they would rather download Combat Mission and other games Battlefront published from pirate sites and torrents and the like instead of buying and supporting the developer. As always it is the honest, paying customer who then has to jump through the hoops as you say. C'est la vie.

As far as I can see, BFC is still making games gamers want, no one really touches them in simulating tactical combat imo, and they still have a thriving community who put out some pretty impressive work in support. That's no mean feat in this day and age of 'flavor of the week' games. They aren't the only ones doing so, but like PeterC I find the anti-BFCers to be a very curious phenomenon.

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 2:02pm

Yog

Centurion
Centurion

I am impressed that more than a few listed Shogun II in their top 5. Good to see a TW title have some staying power with people.

I haven't played many wargames this year, but I did play and enjoyed Panzer Corps. I will have to make that one my number one for the year. Might try Unity of Command before the year runs out though.

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 2:36pm

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

but like PeterC I find the anti-BFCers to be a very curious phenomenon.

Steve's mouth, fingers and just general overall arrogant: [Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.] attitude have a lot to do with it besides the DRM scheme they use and charging $5.00 for a patch.

Steve once made a statement that if this one particular member could show him just one publisher that supported their games for free for 8 years he would eat that forum page. Well, of course several names came up and proof that there were publishers who did this and Steve banned the forum member. This came about when the $5 charge to update CMBB & CMAK EACH to be Vista compatible and/or high end graphic cards compatible was implemented. Many questioned it and still do today.

I am impressed that more than a few listed Shogun II in their top 5. Good to see a TW title have some staying power with people.

It's the 1st one in many years that has a decent AI and is challenging to play. The AI will literally walk all over you if you don't prepare well. It's like Medieval Total War I where just when you think you've got it licked here comes a challenge out of nowhere.

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Last edited by Wolverine101 : 16 DEC 2011 2:41pm
Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 2:56pm

JudgeDredd

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Zonso

Originally Posted By PeterC

Originally Posted By BlondKnight

I wouldnt necessarily call them unscrupulous but theyre no friend to us as gamers.  I dont want to have to upload my elicense to a server in Taiwan, or Uzbekistan, or God knows where prior to me reloading my laptop.  

That's it? Lots of games have DRM including Company of Heroes and Grand Theft Auto but you don't see the outraged fury directed at those companies as you see with BFC. It seems Is it something specific to the wargaoming community? The persopnalities of the moderators on their forums? They have a banned poster/best tester who's a Don Quixote-ish crusade dumping on their products at any available review site. I find it a most curious phenomenon.

Perhaps it's because wargamers are (mostly) nice people  with a knowledge that ripping off the developers will kill the love of their life - and therefore feel agrieved that they are treated like theives by being made to "jump through the proverbial hoops" to get a game to work...

That's interesting and a little ironic. When BFC, then BTS, came on the scene in '98 or '99 their manisfesto was to make games gamers wanted and that included no copy protection at the time. However, (war) gamers decided they would rather download Combat Mission and other games Battlefront published from pirate sites and torrents and the like instead of buying and supporting the developer. As always it is the honest, paying customer who then has to jump through the hoops as you say. C'est la vie.

As far as I can see, BFC is still making games gamers want, no one really touches them in simulating tactical combat imo, and they still have a thriving community who put out some pretty impressive work in support. That's no mean feat in this day and age of 'flavor of the week' games. They aren't the only ones doing so, but like PeterC I find the anti-BFCers to be a very curious phenomenon.

Well - as with all things pirate - no one really knows who illegally downloads...nor do they know what group download. Even if (and it's a MASSIVE IF) any company had figures on what was downloaded illegally - pinning that to a certain group or even trying to identify certain groups would be futile and result in mish mash nonsense.

So whilst I understand what you are saying, there is no proof that BF games were downloaded illegally (for sure they were - with everything - if it's free give it a go - but numbers of illegal downloads would be a wet finger in the air), no definitive numbers and no identifiable group. Companies like BF listen to scare mongering by companies who pretend they know and throw figures around and wait for the money to roll in...and, as you correctly stated, it's the paying customer who jumps through the preverbial.

DRM companies have an agenda...and it's sod all to do with reality

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 3:11am

JMass

Centurion
Centurion

My five submissions:

1. Panzer Command Ostfront

2. Battle Academy: Market Garden

3. Tiger Unleashed

4. Commander – Europe at War Grand Strategy 2.0

5. Unity of Command

(sorry but no CM:BN, apart from graphics I dislike it...)

Now playing, testing or modding: ATS, Ancient Warfare, CMBN, CMFI, CTGW, FoG, Squad Battles, WWII-Europe
Idling: a lot of games

Last edited by JMass : 19 DEC 2011 3:12am
Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 7:56am

Keunert

Commander
Commander

oh my, the good old battlefront discussions! a great wargame in itself! even though it uses the old yougoigo system. but at last they have made it multiplayer! i still dont buy it, it is too gamey for my taste.

I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect. Oscar Wilde

The Old Guard

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 10:55am

Wodin

Commander
Commander

The WEGO apsect is the major plus for me in CMBN. Plus you have RT is you want. Thats what I love options to suit both sides of the camp. I do ebleieve some more work is needed in the WEGO area.

Profile Search
21 DEC 2011 at 8:44pm

ElvisCos

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Wolverine101

the $5 charge to update CMBB & CMAK EACH to be Vista compatible and/or high end graphic cards compatible was implemented. Many questioned it and still do today.

To be fair. The game did not need this patch for the specs listed for the game they purchased. It is a patch to upgrade to an operating system the game was not sold as being compatible with. The stronger beef along these lines is the $1 charge for the patch that people who purchased the Paradox version of CMSF. The "not for free patch" for them is for a game that meets the system requirements when they purchased the product. CMAK/CMBB do not need another patch when played on the system requirements they were sold as being compatible with.

Profile Search
22 DEC 2011 at 1:29am

Yskonyn

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Zonso

Combat Mission Battle for Normandy for me hands down (...)

+1 !

- Yskonyn

Profile Search
22 DEC 2011 at 2:53am

jomni

Commander
Commander

Which reminds me, I haven't bought CMBN yet.  Waiting for a combo pack.

Probably not the place to ask but I'm curious why Wodin was banned.  Is it because he had two accounts?  Tigers Unleashed issue?

The Old Guard  The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Last edited by jomni : 22 DEC 2011 2:55am
Profile Search

22 DEC 2011 at 3:37am

Anguille

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It's been a good year for me. In no specific order:

1) Unity of Command: one of the best surprises this year

2) Panzer Command: great game...

3) Hegemony Gold (love Greek history, see below)

4) HPS Greek Wars (fantastico!)

5) HPS Roman Civil War

6) Time of Fury: didn't have much time to play it yet but i already enjoyed Storm over the Pacific and Time of Wrath (for the netbook).

7) Battle Academy and addons: i love good cartoons, turn-based games and a challenge.

Armada 2526 Supernova: the addon brings so many new units needed in a good wargame...

9) Distant Worlds: Legends...a great game gets better.

Forumrules

My all time favorite games:
Master of Orion, Caesar II, Civil War Generals II, Homeworld, Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, Far Gate, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, Conquest: Frontier Wars, Master of Orion III, Spartan, Haegemonia: Legions of Iron, Knights of Honor, Port Royal II, Celtic Kings: Punic Wars, Rising Kingdoms, Glory of the Roman Empire, Armies of Exigo, Takeda 2 and 3, Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar and Armada 2526 Supernova, Strategic War in Europe

The Old Guard

Profile Search
22 DEC 2011 at 6:19am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By ElvisCos

the $5 charge to update CMBB & CMAK EACH to be Vista compatible and/or high end graphic cards compatible was implemented. Many questioned it and still do today.

To be fair. The game did not need this patch for the specs listed for the game they purchased. It is a patch to upgrade to an operating system the game was not sold as being compatible with. The stronger beef along these lines is the $1 charge for the patch that people who purchased the Paradox version of CMSF. The "not for free patch" for them is for a game that meets the system requirements when they purchased the product. CMAK/CMBB do not need another patch when played on the system requirements they were sold as being compatible with.

And to be fair according to ghostryder if they had programmed the game(s) "correctly" to start with there never would have needed to be a patch for Vista OS and Win7. So, the fail was in their corner to begin with.

Oh and just to be more fair Sid Meier et al came back and reprogrammed Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri to be able to work on WinXP for FREE along with Sid Meier's Civil War Series games.

The makers of the WWII Campaign series came back and reprogrammed that series to also work on WinXP for FREE.

There have been several others also that came back and made their games playable on WinXP that were Win95/95 created for FREE.

So, with that in mind I see no reason Battlefront should charge for those patches for CMBB and CMAK to work on Vista. Especially $5 EACH. Just greedy bassturds and goat milkers.

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Last edited by Wolverine101 : 22 DEC 2011 6:23am
Profile Search
23 DEC 2011 at 9:03pm

ElvisCos

Centurion
Centurion

Especially $5 EACH. Just greedy bassturds and goat milkers.

Hee hee. Not a lot of milk from those goats would be my guess.

Profile Search
12 FEB 2012 at 9:17pm

vbailey

Centurion
Centurion

Best game of last year were this:

1. Combat Misssion Battle for Normandy

2. Battlefield Academy Market Garden

3. Panzercorps

4. Battles for the Bulge

5. Unity of Command

Biggest loser is Panzer Command patch. Game is 100% ripoff of CM1. This is what Microsoft did to Wordperfect, Quickbooks and others. Shame on pretender with lousy clone and BF hater on forum.

Profile Search

Page 3 of 4 :

Jump to:
4 Members Subscribed To This Topic