Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Jutland: Free this weekend

Page 1 of 6 :

16 DEC 2011 at 2:56pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Press release:

Greetings Gamers!

FREE WEEKEND PASS FOR JUTLAND PRO!

You ask for it and you got it!

Play the top naval strategy in the world free all this weekend! Plus get access to both Jutland Ship Packs!

Download StormPowered Now!

http://stormpowered.stormeaglestudios.com/what_is_stormpowered/index.asp

Free Weekend Pass instructions - JUTLAND 

New customers: 

1. Download and Install the StormPowered game client. Let it update completely.

2. Create and activate a StormPowered account for yourself. 

3. When the game client is finished, click on the MyGames Tab. 

4. Click the Jutland Express edition. Download, install, and let it update completely.

5. It should now show Jutland Pro.

6. The Free Weekend Pass requires that you are connected to the internet each time you launch it.

Current customers:

1. Download and Install the StormPowered game client if you have not already done so. Let it update completely.

2. Create and activate a StormPowered account if needed. Log in.

3. When the game client is finished, click on the MyGames Tab. 

4. Click the Jutland Express edition. Download, install, and let it update completely. If previously installed, launch and update it.

5. It should now show Jutland Pro.

6. The Free Weekend Pass requires that you are connected to the internet each time you launch it. 

JUTLAND PRO - FREE WEEKEND PASS! FREE WEEKEND PASSES for JUTLAND PRO. Now it is here!

Play JUTLAND PRO ALL THIS WEEKEND FOR FREE! Just download the StormPowered game client and go!

Play JUTLAND PRO ALL weekend until Monday 12/18/11 12:01 am PST. Complete access to all of the Jutland Pro scenarios , campaign games, and both Jutland Ship Pack 1 and Ship Pack 2! Download StormPowered and GO!

Profile Search

16 DEC 2011 at 3:11pm

Slick Wilhelm

Centurion
Centurion

That reminds me, I still have to try to get that Sh!tpowered client to work on my PC. Ever since I installed it and let it update, it hasn't worked.

But that's okay, I've long since regarded the money I sent to Storm Eagle Studios as lost many years ago.

Beta Tester: Brother Against Brother; Commander: The Great War

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 3:18pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Good stuff. I actually need to get back into this game at some point. Looking forward to their next release. Perhaps ww2 with carriers?

Cliffs of Dover finally fixed

The Old Guard

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 3:23pm

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

New customers: 

You lost me there ^

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 3:35pm

HoundSkull

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Wolverine101

New customers: 

You lost me there ^

Same here. I'll just about swallow internet activations for independent developers, but I'm absolutely sick of countless clients needed to play games. Steam, Origin, this Steam knock off. The list is slowly beginning to build. Oh well, it's their loss.

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 3:37pm

Wodin

Commander
Commander

I was thinking about this game the other day. Really not sure about this Stormpowered thing though. The catalogue they have is pretty poor really, the forums for the other games have 0 posts in them. No way are they going to compete with Steam. The worry for me more so than Steam is them going bust. Then you loose everything. At the moemnt the forum nor their catlogue gives me much confidence. I even see long term Jutland fans moaning about the lack of communcation on the boards from the developers\owners. Plus it seems the Jutland game sis broken since the last patch. With ships tansporting themselves around in a beam me up Star Trek style.

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 4:12pm

DoctorQuest

Centurion
Centurion

Thanks. I'll pass. Give me a game that does not require a squirrelly "game client", etc. etc. and we'll talk.

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 4:30pm

Ubercat

Commander
Commander

Doesn't this company have a history of really crappy customer service, too, or am I confusing them with someone else? I know the company I'm thinking of sells a lot of naval oriented games.

edit: Nope, I was right. I'll keep far away from this one. Isn't the internet great!

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

“I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers.”
-William H. Gascoyne

Last edited by Ubercat : 16 DEC 2011 4:40pm
Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 4:31pm

Johnnie

Centurion
Centurion

1. Download Jutland.

2. Download Stormpowered or whatever.

3. Ask for help when it doesn't work.

4. Endure insults and accusations of piracy or stupidity.

Or

Take the $60.00 you were thinking of throwing away at Storm Eagle, purchase the new WWI naval game being released by Chris at NWS in January for $40.00 and donate the rest to your favorite charity.  You will feel much better and your will avoid a ton of frustration.  Please trust me on this one.

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 4:32pm

Hentzau

Centurion
Centurion

I remember salivating over the screenshots WAY back when Norm had his own page, and then....

PC gaming isn't dying; it's committing suicide.

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 5:10pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I just looked at their page. I thought the client was only for thier own games.... I wonder whether it is just select niche or foreign games?

Isn't it funny how companies that make ultra realistic cutting edge niche dream wargames also have poor or rude customer service? 

I mean a lot of people hate both battlefront, norbsoft and SIS for the same reasons... they have poor social skills when it comes to customer service and cannot

afford large teams of pretty girls that smile at us. Guess what! They produce in my book the most innovative wargames of any companies out there. I mean its

the stuff dreams are made of.

Why are they rude? Have you ever talked to uber nerd technicians? You should see how hard it is to keep those types from ruining your customer base, believe me when I say I know.... and when

they are the front line customer service guys in a small company you have to lump it or leave it. I say we are lucky to have them at all, they go out on a limb and seperate themselves from main stream publishers to give us the good stuff and realise their dreams, which are often our dreams. A niche within a niche market.

If the game of a life time comes along you may have to wear some pain initially to experience it. Even lost the game a few years down the track when the company folds, you spent what $50?

Just saying..... you want perfection. Please get off earth at the next stop.

Maybe they should all get together and employ me as their public facing customer service manager

Edit: I was just looking on the SIS website and they could use a spell checker too " Prince of Whales"

http://stormpowered.stormeaglestudios.com/games/5872/index.asp

The Old Guard

Last edited by destraex : 16 DEC 2011 5:23pm
Profile Search

16 DEC 2011 at 5:38pm

BlondKnight

Centurion
Centurion

Storm Eagle you can kiss my arse!

The sooner you dry up and blow away the better.

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 6:10pm

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By destraex

I just looked at their page. I thought the client was only for thier own games.... I wonder whether it is just select niche or foreign games?

Isn't it funny how companies that make ultra realistic cutting edge niche dream wargames also have poor or rude customer service? 

I mean a lot of people hate both battlefront, norbsoft and SIS for the same reasons... they have poor social skills when it comes to customer service and cannot

afford large teams of pretty girls that smile at us. Guess what! They produce in my book the most innovative wargames of any companies out there. I mean its

the stuff dreams are made of.

Why are they rude? Have you ever talked to uber nerd technicians? You should see how hard it is to keep those types from ruining your customer base, believe me when I say I know.... and when

they are the front line customer service guys in a small company you have to lump it or leave it. I say we are lucky to have them at all, they go out on a limb and seperate themselves from main stream publishers to give us the good stuff and realise their dreams, which are often our dreams. A niche within a niche market.

If the game of a life time comes along you may have to wear some pain initially to experience it. Even lost the game a few years down the track when the company folds, you spent what $50?

Just saying..... you want perfection. Please get off earth at the next stop.

Maybe they should all get together and employ me as their public facing customer service manager

Edit: I was just looking on the SIS website and they could use a spell checker too " Prince of Whales"

http://stormpowered.stormeaglestudios.com/games/5872/index.asp

Sorry, but I won't throw away my dignity or my principles or my hard earned money over a silly game, I don't care how good someone thinks it is. There's no game out there past, present, or in the future that is worth that. It's just a game not a life's goal. Some people just need to get their priorities straight and realize what a game is. Bowing down to some publisher or independent or some distribution source just because you think it's the game to end all games or the best game evah is just plain silly. I haven't played a game yet that I couldn't do without, so, there's nothing this game shows that would convince me it's worth it. I use Steam but only when the games are less than $10, I would never throw $50 for a single game to Steam or Gamersgate, but, would to D2Drive since you own those games when you buy them unless otherwise stated when they say 3rd party client required.

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Profile Search
16 DEC 2011 at 6:17pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I think of it in the opposite vein. Its just a game. Why do you want some kind of high principled perfectionist ideal? Why get all political about it? Its not life.

Buy it and enjoy it, be thankfull someobody even made it available to you for a pittance. Back in the day I can imagine you being one of the guys that was annoyed because of CD protection or floppy DRM?

Having said that, their is always a line in the sand to draw and I can see yours is a rather narrow one. I can respect that. But for me I just don't believe in having cake and eating it. Their is often a trade off.

Can I ask if you have ever purchased anything off steam, impulse, battlefront, norbsoft (or its predescessor), SIS, microsoft etc?

What scares me is what scares you. I don't want to be left some day to find all of my games cannot be accessed any more. Its hard to relax and enjoy a game if you think you will have wasted your time when it gets taken away. But then I think to myself its only a game and the devs have to protect themselves some how. The media at least reckons PC gaming is only back because of online DRM. I in part agree with them.

We hate it but it saved us. Like it or not a lot of Devs will not invest in producing a game without protecting that investment.

Our power is limited a lot of the time to hoping somebody will crack the game or the devs will make an effort to remove DRM when a company goes under.

We live in an online world now. PC parts get discontinued, the internet could go down one day etc etc. Worry worry worry.

The Old Guard

Last edited by destraex : 16 DEC 2011 6:30pm
Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 1:42am

gabeeg

Centurion
Centurion

They will never get a dime out of me...sorry, no excuse for the customer service they provide...period.

gabeeg

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 2:33am

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Slick Wilhelm

That reminds me, I still have to try to get that Sh!tpowered client to work on my PC. Ever since I installed it and let it update, it hasn't worked.

But that's okay, I've long since regarded the money I sent to Storm Eagle Studios as lost many years ago.

I had to get my password reset, through their CS, after they switched.  Something jacked it up when they moved over to the client thingy, but it got done the same day (even!) and was pretty painless.

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 9:55am

Slick Wilhelm

Centurion
Centurion

Thank you, Nefaro, I'll try that.

When all is said and done, I don't think it's too much to ask of a company to be treated with dignity and respect when you've encountered a problem after purchasing their game. Granted, most problems are problably user error or the end user's PC. But still, SES could go a long way in rehabilitating their poor reputation if they would simply learn a little empathy and practice the golden rule.

One only has to compare SES to Matrix Games or Slitherine to know what I'm talking about.

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 10:15am

WallysWorld

Centurion
Centurion

Well, I'll try to defend SES a bit. I haven't had any problems with StormPowered since I first installed it. I bought DG and Jutland in September and both update and run fine on StormPowered and I enjoy both games.

That being said, I did have an issue installing the original DG on my new computer last spring before StormPowered and the problem was with the license transfer from my old PC to the new one. SES' support was really no help and I finally figured it out on my own.

Abe Simpson: "I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary."

Last edited by WallysWorld : 19 DEC 2011 10:14am
Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 11:49am

Wodin

Commander
Commander

I always though the developer of Jutland was the developer of TOAW. Is this right? Wasn't he a highly admired wargame developer? Didn't he have a very good rep with wargamers at one point? Just curious.

I do know the price of the jutland game with it's ship packs is astronimcal. people moand abotu Matrix pricing!

I'd have to be absolutelt obsessed with naval warfare aswell as WW1 for me to even consider paring with that kind of money. I'm obsessed with WW1 but not Naval warfare so I'm afraid it's a massive no go on the purchase front. 

Last edited by Wodin : 19 DEC 2011 11:50am
Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 11:59am

Gusington

General
General

I'm glad my character uses a shield because I may be taking a bashing here soon.

- Rayfer

The Old Guard

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 12:13pm

Slick Wilhelm

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Wodin

I always though the developer of Jutland was the developer of TOAW. Is this right? Wasn't he a highly admired wargame developer? Didn't he have a very good rep with wargamers at one point? Just curious.

Oh boy, here we go. Yes, Norm Koger is the developer of TOAW. As far as I know, he did have a good relationship with the community. SES consists of Norm Koger and Jim Rose.

Somehow, SES managed to torpedo their reputation by the frequent use of condescension and outright hositilty to its customers over the years. everything I've read leads me to believe that Norm was not responsible for this. 

You do the math.

Gus, LOL!

Profile Search

19 DEC 2011 at 12:22pm

Greybriar

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Wodin

I always though the developer of Jutland was the developer of TOAW. Is this right? Wasn't he a highly admired wargame developer? Didn't he have a very good rep with wargamers at one point? Just curious.... 

Norm Koger's website.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 12:27pm

Nicholas Bell

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Slick Wilhelm

... and Jim Rose.

Somehow, SES managed to torpedo their reputation by the frequent use of condescension and outright hositilty to its customers over the years. everything I've read leads me to believe that Norm was not responsible for this. 

Yeah, that about says it all.   As much as I would like to give a list of names and specific examples of behavior, I'll leave it at this:  I've met more than a few board and computer wargame designers over the years at conventions and the like, and in general they totally lack social skills, fail to understand the golden rule ("the customer is always right") and have egos the size of Manhattan.

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 12:33pm

Slick Wilhelm

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Nicholas Bell

fail to understand the golden rule ("the customer is always right")

Well, this isn't the golden rule I was thinking of in my post above. The golden rule I was referring to is "treat others as you would have them treat you". To be honest, I don't believe that the customer is always right. But I do believe that the customer should be treated respectfully and fairly.

Last edited by Slick Wilhelm : 19 DEC 2011 12:32pm
Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 3:03pm

Nicholas Bell

Centurion
Centurion

Understand and agree - they are no better in following your correct moral definition.  But I'm talking business, retail at that, where making the sale is the only rule.  To be rude and insulting to a customer standing in front of you at a convention is more what I am talking about regarding "the customer is always right".

Profile Search

Page 1 of 6 :

Jump to:
2 Members Subscribed To This Topic