Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: World War One - Gold, Only $10 at Gamersgate

Page 1

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > World War One - Gold, Only $10 at Gamersgate
18 DEC 2011 at 7:20pm

Grim.Reaper

Centurion
Centurion

On the fence with this one, but just giving the heads up on sale right now.  Wouldn't mind hearing some impressions and whether this is considered the best WW1 game out there right now.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-WW1GE/world-war-one-gold-edition

Profile Search

18 DEC 2011 at 8:31pm

Philippe

Commander
Commander

The best WW I game out there is without question HPS's France 1914.  Nothing comes close, and nothing currently in production is likely to.

Apart from that, WW I Gold has a lot going for it.  There were problems with the earlier (pre-Gold) incarnation, but most of these have been ironed out.  Try the demo -- it won't be as smooth as what's available now after you apply the latest patch, but you'll be able to tell if it's to your taste or not.  Personally I liked what they were trying to do so much that a few mechanical glitches here and there (like slow load times) were inconsequential.  The game has a lot of flavor, and flavor is a lot of what WW I is about.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 8:17am

Grim.Reaper

Centurion
Centurion

Tried to install the demo, but said it expired.  I must have had it on my system sometime in the past, but don't remember if I liked it or not

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 9:15am

Philippe

Commander
Commander

For me it's easily worth $20, but that's my taste which I'm pretty certain is different from yours.  But if it's on sale for $10, you shouldn't have to spend much time thinking about it.

If you do take the plunge, remember to visit the appropriate section of the AGEOD forum if you have any questions. 

http://www.ageod-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=dd849115f11caa1b284d21f7e091f204&f=217

In general it's very important how you configure the game before you try to play it, and the best selections aren't always obvious.  And as much as I love the music, I had to turn it off while I was learning the game system.

The game is still being actively supported by an Italian programmer named Calvinus, so pay especially close attention to anything he writes in his posts.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 9:45am

Slick Wilhelm

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Grim.Reaper

On the fence with this one, but just giving the heads up on sale right now.  Wouldn't mind hearing some impressions and whether this is considered the best WW1 game out there right now.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-WW1GE/world-war-one-gold-edition

I wouldn't say it's the best WWI game out there, currently. But it's good, and for $10, absolutely worth a gamble on your part. FWIW, my vote for best WWI game on the market right now is Strategic Command: WWI.

Beta Tester: Brother Against Brother; Commander: The Great War

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 10:09am

WallysWorld

Centurion
Centurion

I've had World War One since the beginning and the Gold update definitely improved the game big time. I like the game very much and it feels like playing a board game with its complexity. The game also has very good support from its developer calvinus.

I also agree with Slick Wilhelm in that SC:WW1 is also an excellent game. I find it easier to play than World War One due to the complexity of the latter.

World War One Gold and SC:WW1 are both worth the price IMHO.

Abe Simpson: "I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary."

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 10:41am

Grim.Reaper

Centurion
Centurion

Thanks guys...I'll have to check out SC:WW1 as well.  To be honest, I am not that familar with WWI so I probably would not even know what would make a good WW1 game

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 10:41am

Wodin

Commander
Commander

Go to Amazon and you can buy the Militaryy comp pack with WW1, BA2 and AW for around £3.95.

WW1gold is highley recommended if your into WW1. 

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 10:45am

Grim.Reaper

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Wodin

Go to Amazon and you can buy the Militaryy comp pack with WW1, BA2 and AW for around £3.95.

WW1gold is highley recommended if your into WW1. 

That is a good deal, however I already own the other games, just missing WW1

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 10:58am

Wodin

Commander
Commander

For me WW1 gold is my favourite WW1 startegy game. I love it. infact it's my favourite grand strategy game period (though I'm a WW1 obsessive). However it does have issues with regards to optinisation and can run as if it has arthritus. Also amny prefer Strat Command Great War as it's alot easier tog et into and doesn't have the big learning curve.

Profile Search
19 DEC 2011 at 11:07am

Grim.Reaper

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Wodin

For me WW1 gold is my favourite WW1 startegy game. I love it. infact it's my favourite grand strategy game period (though I'm a WW1 obsessive). However it does have issues with regards to optinisation and can run as if it has arthritus. Also amny prefer Strat Command Great War as it's alot easier tog et into and doesn't have the big learning curve.

Thanks Wodin.  I have downloaded SC:Great War demo and will see what it is like.  Big thing I like about WW1-Gold over SC is the price tag of $10 versus $45

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > World War One - Gold, Only $10 at Gamersgate

Page 1

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic