Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Wargaming on PS3...

Page 1

All Forums : [GAMES] : Console Gaming > Wargaming on PS3...
25 FEB 2012 at 4:35am

Dhoude

Centurion
Centurion

Hey guys,

Let me first tell you my situation. I am now living in Paris for a 1 year contract, away from home and away from my (too big to carry) desktop computer. As a gamer, first thing I did when I arrived here...buy a PS3! Ahhh the good old console gaming experience! 

Problem is, I've played most of the games I wanted to play on PS3 but I'm in need of a good strategic wargame experience! You know, the same as those strategy games I could play back home on my Desktop Comp. Every major release (Crusader kings 2!!!) makes me cry for a new computer!

So my question to you fellow wargamer is as follow: Do you know any games on the PS3 that could provide me with some kind of strategic gaming? Even though, I clearly am aware that a controller is really awkward with this kinda gameplay...

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!

Dhoude

Profile Search

25 FEB 2012 at 7:07am

Canuck

Centurion
Centurion

As much as I love my PS3, if you're interested in strategy games then you really should have picked up a cheap laptop rather than a console.  Even a cheap laptop should have no trouble playing most strategy games out there (especially the ones that most people on this forum enjoy!) I would recommend getting a laptop if you can swing it or some kind of tablet.  Sort of sad that the Android and iOS markets have more good strategy games than any of the consoles.

Profile Search
25 FEB 2012 at 5:23pm

Dhoude

Centurion
Centurion

Any good wargame you would recommand on the ipad? 

This will have to do I guess!

Profile Search
25 FEB 2012 at 9:12pm

Slick Wilhelm

Centurion
Centurion

I don't know of any good wargames for the PS/3. I use mine as a Blu-Ray player and Netflix streamer. 

Beta Tester: Brother Against Brother; Commander: The Great War

Profile Search
25 FEB 2012 at 10:39pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

tom clancy's endwar is about all I can think of and thats really an RTS not a wargame.

Controls are horrible as you would expect on a console.

I got my PS3 solely to watch 3D movies. My son got out endwar (6yr old) and I ended up having to learn it for him.

I was not impressed! Without a mouse basic things become very hard.

Cliffs of Dover finally fixed

The Old Guard

Last edited by destraex : 25 FEB 2012 10:42pm
Profile Search
26 FEB 2012 at 3:24am

jomni

Commander
Commander

I love Endwar.  Actucally it has a good implementation of voice control which makes the lack of mouse bearable.

Valkyria chronicles... Squad-based tactical RPG like Jagged Alliance.

If you're into the beautiful anime art and pseudo WW2 + medieval world.

The Old Guard  The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Last edited by jomni : 26 FEB 2012 3:25am
Profile Search
26 FEB 2012 at 4:13am

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Originally Posted By jomni (26 FEB 2012 3:24am)

I love Endwar.  Actucally it has a good implementation of voice control which makes the lack of mouse bearable.

Valkyria chronicles... Squad-based tactical RPG like Jagged Alliance.

If you're into the beautiful anime art and pseudo WW2 + medieval world.

We did not have a mic plugged in, nor am I willing to go this far for a game like Endwar. Its like needing a mic for red alert or command anc conquer.

Cliffs of Dover finally fixed

The Old Guard

Profile Search
27 FEB 2012 at 1:33am

lucy520

Centurion
Centurion

This will have to do I guess!

Profile Search
27 FEB 2012 at 6:03am

Dhoude

Centurion
Centurion

Well Thanks guys,

I didn't even know the existence of Valkiria Chronicles which has a beautiful art style! I think I'll give EndWar a try.

Profile Search
27 FEB 2012 at 2:19pm

Joram

Centurion
Centurion

I would second Valkyrie Chronicles.  It's surprisingly fun.  Also, while not a wargame you can get Civ Revolutions.  A surprisingly good adaptation of the PC in my opinion though don't expect it to have quite the same feel.  It's like Civ 4 lite.  Personally, I've always wanted to try Ruse with Playstation Move but haven't yet done it since I'm not a big fan of RTS on the ps3 to begin with.  Just thought the Move would be an interesting twist and might make it easier.

The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Profile Search
27 FEB 2012 at 3:13pm

JasonPratt

Centurion
Centurion

I assume you mean turn-based? PS3 native, the only one I recall offhand is Valkyria Chronicles, as noted.

R.U.S.E. (which has a silly name only referenced once in-game as its title) is not too bad for a WW2 RTS console game. The devs went on to create the upcoming European Warfare: Escalation. Bladestorm is another very fun RTS RPG, effectively Kessen 4 but set in France during the 100 year war instead of Japan's Shogunate Wars or China's Three Kingdoms (where the producers, Koei, prefer to set their games.)

The PS3 will play any PS1 game, though, and there are numerous old turn-based games for sale used (and online through the PSNetwork), including I kid you not a faithful import of Panzer General 1. (Slightly upgraded for hotseat multiplayer iirc, although I've never used it for that.)

There is a software emulator available for free on the PSN however that allows some PS2 titles to play; and late last year they started working to convert old PS2 titles to PS3 native (I think), as a sort of side-effect of upgrading other more famous PS2 titles to PS3 native high-def. (One of which is actually a tactical port from the PSP, Metal Gear: Peace Walker.)

The Playstation library of strategy titles, realtime and turn-based, is relatively large for a console, but you have to be prepared to milk the back catalog through the PS2 and PS1 days. And put up with some strange old-school graphics and insane Japanese plots sometimes (even in highly regarded games like Final Fantasy Tactics and its PSP remake, the latter of which hasn't been ported to PS3 yet, but the former of which is available.)

Gameranking's list of PS1 strategy games (plus all subgenres), sorted in descending average review score. Quite a few of these are available directly from the PSN: http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=ps&cat=45&year=0&numrev=4&sort=0&letter=&search=

List of PS2 games. (I'd rank Dynasty Tactics 2 and Gladius much much higher, personally. Those are absolute must-buys for a PS strategy gamer, featuring respectable graphics and in-depth turn-based play): http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=ps2&cat=45&year=0&numrev=4&sort=0&letter=&search=

List of PS3 games. (I have no idea why ValChron isn't on this as it's totally a strategy game, but whatever.) http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=ps3&cat=45&year=0&numrev=4&sort=0&letter=&search=

A sad proportion of the latter list are tower defense games (not that there's anything wrong with those); but I know of several which aren't on this list even though they ought to be if TD games are included.

I'll poke through the actual games I've bought at the house, if I recall, when I get home. I don't think the PS3 has lived up to the reputation of its predecessors for RT and TB strategy games. But you'll get a good week out of ValChron anyway. {g} And Bladestorm is good for another two or three weeks easy. Both are high-production titles.

"Pratt creates a real, hard, dirty world that is somehow still fantastical and full of magic and mystery. Daunting, but worthwhile." -- Vanessa Lee for Front Street

Profile Search

27 FEB 2012 at 6:12pm

jomni

Commander
Commander

I only play FPS in my PS3.  Yes, I am better at controler vs. mouse + keyboard.

So if PS2 becomes part of the criteria...

I will recommend Daisenryaku VII Exceed.  Don't worry about the Japanese title, find the English version and everything is translated to english.  Classic Turn-based hex wargame with lots of modern units.

But that depends on what PS2 region your PS3 can emulate.

The Old Guard  The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Last edited by jomni : 27 FEB 2012 6:14pm
Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Console Gaming > Wargaming on PS3...

Page 1

Jump to:
3 Members Subscribed To This Topic