Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Anyone try Gettysburg Armored Warfare yet

Page 1

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Anyone try Gettysburg Armored Warfare yet
27 MAR 2012 at 4:04pm

Joram

Centurion
Centurion

I go back and forth between being intrigued and laughing at the concept.  Now I see it's only $10 on Steam.  While I'm not huge on FPS anymore I figured it might be worth a $10 if there are any favorable opinions.

The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Profile Search

27 MAR 2012 at 4:06pm

Jarhead0331

Colonel
Colonel

While it looks like it has potential, I understand it is extremely unpolished.  For instance, there is presently no ability to rebind controls.  The one-man developer has acknowledged this and has stated that this will be addressed in the first of many future patches.

"And They shall know no fear, for they are fear incarnate"

The Old Guard

Profile Search
27 MAR 2012 at 4:28pm

Azzurri

General
General

Turtledove would roll over in his grave if he had to bear witness to this upcoming disater!

Poor Harry.

It is better to die by a swords quick thrust than to be impaled for a lifetime upon the sharp tongue of a woman.-Grimjack

Profile Search
27 MAR 2012 at 5:57pm

Ubercat

Commander
Commander

He died? Oh, crap.

Edit: I can't find anything online about him dying.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

“I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers.”
-William H. Gascoyne

Last edited by Ubercat : 27 MAR 2012 6:02pm
Profile Search
27 MAR 2012 at 6:27pm

Johnnie

Centurion
Centurion

Azzurri:

Methinks you killed poor Harry off a bit prematurely.  I've only read a few of his novels, but liked what I did read.  Perhaps I should delve more deeply.

Profile Search
27 MAR 2012 at 6:30pm

Azzurri

General
General

Dammit!

Are you people always so thorough???

Of course that bastardo is alive-let's just hope he never visits Steam!

It is better to die by a swords quick thrust than to be impaled for a lifetime upon the sharp tongue of a woman.-Grimjack

Profile Search
27 MAR 2012 at 7:26pm

Blakjack

Centurion
Centurion

Harry Turtledove = one of my very favorite authors.

If you build an idiot-proof computer, someone will make a better idiot.

Profile Search
27 MAR 2012 at 7:45pm

Ubercat

Commander
Commander

He's on the list. As in, the one page list of about a dozen authors that I'm collecting books from. I've probably had it for going on 15 years now. As I get the books on the list they come off, and once in a while new ones go on. Turtledove is one of the few authors that have been on it the whole time.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

“I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers.”
-William H. Gascoyne

Profile Search
28 MAR 2012 at 2:52am

Blakjack

Centurion
Centurion

Opened up my Steam client and took a look.  The game is an intriguing, if not weird combo... an RTS/FPS hybrid?  It does hold a certain uniqueness in the visuals & concept... very "steam-punkish" is what comes to mind.   Still, I'm thinking... nnnnaaaaahhh.... maybe would try a demo first.

If you build an idiot-proof computer, someone will make a better idiot.

Profile Search
28 MAR 2012 at 4:03am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

The game is not finished, which may not surprise most people considering Paradox and their third-party titles of late (Sword of the Stars 2, *cough* *cough*).

Good news: you can purchase units and order them around like an RTS and take direct control of them like a  third-person shooter. And it's $10.

Bad news: the game mode you can do both RTS and TPS in, army skirmish, is not available on any of the online servers and you can't host your own game (so you have to play against AI bots). Instead, you have to do deathmatch online, where units that you can't manually purchase move on their own around the map and you can choose one of them to directly control. So the only way you can play it online is basically like a third-person shooter, essentially removing half of the game.

The interface is the greatest sin of the game. The mouse wheel adjusts height instead of zooming to the cursor. You can't click on the minimap to issue orders. The minimap consists of tiny uninformative squares. Units sometimes ignore orders after a couple of seconds. Double-clicking a unit in the unit list does not center the camera on it. Number keys don't select unit groups (even though the manual says it does). Placing the mouse at the bottom or top of the screen does not move the camera. Friend/foe triangles sometimes don't show up, The game doesn't show objective locations if they are blocked by the terrain. You can't reconfigure the controls.

Infantry units can only carry one weapon, which is insane: an assault rifle OR an RPG OR a knife OR a mine OR a grenade. There are three weapon slots for each unit; why aren't they used?

Setting a point limit for an army skirmish game does nothing, as you can recruit units beyond the limit.

No campaign (just an offline practice mode)

Animations are stiff and disappear sometimes.

The animation for firing an RPG is completely misssing.

Units clips through each other and other objects.

So, there you go. Are most of these things fixable. Yes. Should they have been in a released product? Certainly not.

Last edited by JaguarUSF : 28 MAR 2012 4:05am
Profile Search
28 MAR 2012 at 5:21am

spelk

Commander
Commander

Thanks for the heads up James. It sounded like an interesting idea, but as we grew closer and closer to release all I'd seen made me think this is going to be a road crash from the start.

We need more FPS/TPS/RTS hybrids that actually work. Like Savage I & II. And Iron Grip Warlord. 

This sounded promising, but looks like its been undercooked and understaffed. Maybe it will grow into some sort of cult community style thing? 

Profile Search

28 MAR 2012 at 8:07am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By spelk (28 MAR 2012 5:21am)

This sounded promising, but looks like its been undercooked and understaffed. Maybe it will grow into some sort of cult community style thing? 

I'd like to see where the game is at in about six months. It certainly has promise if the rough edges I outlined are fixed up.

Profile Search
28 MAR 2012 at 3:55pm

Wolfe1759

Centurion
Centurion

JaguarUSF - thanks for the heads up on this one.

After the debacle  that was SOTS2 I'm amazed that Paradox let this be released in the reported state (no matter what its price - which seems to be one of the developers defense of its release state).

Not only would you expect them to have learned from past mistakes they also came out and said that subsequent to SOTS2 their quality checks would ensure that all there future releases would be fully functional and release worthy. The hope that it will be patched in an ongoing process and that it is relativly cheap is absolutly no defense for a major publisher, particularaly one that may be trying to redeem itself.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by Wolfe1759 : 28 MAR 2012 3:56pm
Profile Search
29 MAR 2012 at 11:20am

Joram

Centurion
Centurion

Tis a shame, I'm also not eager to pay for beta-testing.  I feel bad for the guy doing all the work but this is a business, not a charity.  I'm getting a bit tired of Paradox's fund the development release strategy these days.  Guess will see what happens in a few months.

Profile Search
29 MAR 2012 at 12:09pm

berto

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Joram (27 MAR 2012 4:04pm)

I go back and forth between being intrigued and laughing at the concept.

I begin and end with ...

What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago, http://earlymusichicago.org, Early Music in Chicago & Beyond
PIKT, http://pikt.org, Site-At-a-Time System & Network Administration

Campaign Series Lead Programmer, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=226

AGElint, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333, an AGE debugging toolkit

AGEOD Weathers Mod, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3156944

Profile Search
29 MAR 2012 at 12:11pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

I posted a video of the game in action

Profile Search
31 MAR 2012 at 5:41am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

My review is up:

http://www.outofeight.info/2012/03/gettysburg-armored-warfare-review.html

Profile Search
31 MAR 2012 at 8:08am

vonRocko

Centurion
Centurion

Yuck!, I think I'd rather light my cigar with $10 than buy this. Why did the southern guys, who brought back the advanced weapons, give them to the Yankees also? 

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Anyone try Gettysburg Armored Warfare yet

Page 1

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic