Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Total War Blahs

Page 1

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Total War Blahs
22 APR 2012 at 5:42pm

panzerseast

Centurion
Centurion

I tried to back into total war by playing Shogun 2 and Napoleon TW, however I find myself bored after a couple of turns.  It just feels like been there done that like all of the others and I get disinterested.  I wanted to get into a Napoleon game and really just turned NTW off after a couple of turns... moved to STW2 and did the same thing.  Think for me Total War just does not do it anymore as it feels the same.  

I wanted to try Crown of Glory but not going to pay $50.00.... oh well, its not like I don't have tons of other crap setting around!  Need my Napolenic Strategy Fix though.....

PE

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." BR   |  Website: LinesofCommand

Profile Search

22 APR 2012 at 5:59pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

TW does that to me most of the time I fire it up.  My longest stretch has been my first campaign game in STW2, so the biggest problem is obviously getting the AI to give me an interesting enough challenge and stop behaving ridiculously.

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search
22 APR 2012 at 6:34pm

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By panzerseast (22 APR 2012 5:42pm)

I wanted to get into a Napoleon game

Try this?

Profile Search
22 APR 2012 at 7:06pm

panzerseast

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By JaguarUSF (22 APR 2012 6:34pm)

I wanted to get into a Napoleon game

Try this?

Thanks Jag,Yep got it and like it.  However I wish they had  a Single player campaign.  I like the Custom Battles over the Multiplayer as the mp is too chaotic.  The custom battles could use some more features and a larger map/plains as posted in the other forum. 

PE

Last edited by panzerseast : 22 APR 2012 7:06pm
Profile Search
22 APR 2012 at 7:06pm

Philippe

Commander
Commander

You might also want to consider this:

http://www.histwar.com/

Check out the demo and see if you like it.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Profile Search
22 APR 2012 at 7:27pm

jomni

Commander
Commander

There's something about Total War that feels extremely tiring for me.   I play for a few weeks then stop.  Then play again.

I guess it's the combination of strategic and tactical.  Games with pure strategic or pure tactical has more focus and streamlined gameplay afterall.  Though I'm tempted to skip all battles and let the AI handle it for me (a good sugestion for those who find it too easy to beat the AI), it would mean my A$$ may get beaten up badly and I will regret it as opposed to commanding the battle myself.

It's the same feeling I get playing a Close Combat campaign.  But that one is worse since I am not able to skip battles and the strategic aspect is not deep.

The Old Guard  The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Last edited by jomni : 22 APR 2012 7:29pm
Profile Search
22 APR 2012 at 9:16pm

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

If you find the ai too easy in Total War games turn off morale and you'll get a much better challenge because then the ai will fight almost to the last man instead of all this silly routing and getting slaughtered running off the map. Also another plus for the ai turn on unlimited arrows. I still play the best one Medieval Total War with the XL mod almost exclusively anymore. I still like that map style better (board game like) and I like the way the ai plays a better game when it doesn't have to keep up with 10000 squares and its provincial combat system like RISK is the best by far.

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Profile Search
22 APR 2012 at 10:11pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Panzer. I think we should have a list\group of wargamer.com total war opponents.

We would serve as you own personal drop in AI. THis will change the game for you and the way you play.

No more easy sieges or taking on full stacks without a little fear.

Being from wargamer.com we will not do anything mean spirited or unrealistic.

Being that their would be a few people in the group from different time zones hopefully one of us would be online.

Being that we are a group you would get a variety of human generals.

Perhaps you could even allocate us as generals... well that will not work as you will pop us off to the grave quickly enough

Personally I loved playing the baddies for mates even when I was out numbered 20:1

P.S. Drop in battles work with NTW and STW2. The idea is that when you commit to a tactical battle in your campaign that you allow a human to play as your opponent.

Cliffs of Dover finally fixed

The Old Guard

Last edited by destraex : 22 APR 2012 10:17pm
Profile Search
23 APR 2012 at 7:18am

Silent Disapproval Robot

Commander
Commander

But does it work if one person has mods installed?

豆腐の角に頭をぶつけて死ね

Profile Search
23 APR 2012 at 12:22pm

AAshbery76

Centurion
Centurion

My advice is do not buy anymore Totalwar games in the future so we can be saved from moaning old men negative threads like this.

Profile Search
23 APR 2012 at 12:30pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Wolverine101 (22 APR 2012 9:16pm)

If you find the ai too easy in Total War games turn off morale and you'll get a much better challenge because then the ai will fight almost to the last man instead of all this silly routing and getting slaughtered running off the map. Also another plus for the ai turn on unlimited arrows. I still play the best one Medieval Total War with the XL mod almost exclusively anymore. I still like that map style better (board game like) and I like the way the ai plays a better game when it doesn't have to keep up with 10000 squares and its provincial combat system like RISK is the best by far.

I normally turn up the battle difficulty so the AI gets a morale bonus.  But then it's just more unbelievable artifical feeling when the enemy's troops keep rushing you until they're nearly all dead and the routing ones stop, turn, and come back at you.

I've had high hopes for some of the mods and AI 'fixes' but much of the problem areas are hard-coded, and ultimately TW is being increasingly mod-restricted with each new release.

Thankfully I've found other somewhat sufficient substitutes that seem to be a bit more challenging in the tac battle arena, but they're all fantasy/medieval settings.

The Old Guard

Last edited by Nefaro : 23 APR 2012 12:33pm
Profile Search

23 APR 2012 at 3:19pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Originally Posted By Silent Disapproval Robot (23 APR 2012 7:18am)

But does it work if one person has mods installed?

Yes it does. Of course everybody has to have exactly the same mods.

The Old Guard

Profile Search
23 APR 2012 at 4:36pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

I wanted to try Crown of Glory but not going to pay $50.00.... oh well, its not like I don't have tons of other crap setting around!  Need my Napolenic Strategy Fix though.....

I've really eyed CoGEE but I can't justify dropping that kind of cash on a game that runs at such a low fixed resolution.  Maybe 8 years ago when I used a CRT monitor.  Too bad they can't easily update it with such an adjustment.

The Old Guard

Profile Search
24 APR 2012 at 6:33am

panzerseast

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By AAshbery76 (23 APR 2012 12:22pm)

My advice is do not buy anymore Totalwar games in the future so we can be saved from moaning old men negative threads like this.

Just FYI, I am probably half your age and the only "negative" old man here is you..... grumpy(!?).  Not sure why you wasted your time slandering someone who is on a Wargame forum talking about wargames....  My advice to you is if you don't like the thread, move on and don't waste our time having to read your repugnant post.

Good day.

PE

Last edited by panzerseast : 24 APR 2012 6:37am
Profile Search
24 APR 2012 at 7:07am

Anguille

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It's not a huge game but for the price it could be a good deal for you:

Imperial Glory at GOG for 5.99$:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/imperial_glory

Cheers

Forumrules

My all time favorite games:
Master of Orion, Caesar II, Civil War Generals II, Homeworld, Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, Far Gate, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, Conquest: Frontier Wars, Master of Orion III, Spartan, Haegemonia: Legions of Iron, Knights of Honor, Port Royal II, Celtic Kings: Punic Wars, Rising Kingdoms, Glory of the Roman Empire, Armies of Exigo, Takeda 2 and 3, Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar and Armada 2526 Supernova, Strategic War in Europe

The Old Guard

Profile Search
24 APR 2012 at 7:10am

Anguille

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Another option but it's really much older:

War & Peace:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-WAP/war-and-peace

Cheers

Forumrules

My all time favorite games:
Master of Orion, Caesar II, Civil War Generals II, Homeworld, Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, Far Gate, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, Conquest: Frontier Wars, Master of Orion III, Spartan, Haegemonia: Legions of Iron, Knights of Honor, Port Royal II, Celtic Kings: Punic Wars, Rising Kingdoms, Glory of the Roman Empire, Armies of Exigo, Takeda 2 and 3, Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar and Armada 2526 Supernova, Strategic War in Europe

The Old Guard

Profile Search
24 APR 2012 at 9:30am

sandman2575

Centurion
Centurion

I dunno -- I'm of the school of thought that I'd much rather spend $50 on a really solid, deep game with an excellent reputation than $10 on 5 games during GG / Steam etc. sales that I spend a few hours with and then never touch again.

I"ve had my eye on Crown of Glory EE for a long time as well -- wondering how it compares in quality and overall fun to Forge of Freedom (same dev, no?). 

"Well, if this is it, old boy, I hope you don't mind I go out speaking the King's?"  - Lt. Archie Hicox

Profile Search
24 APR 2012 at 9:53am

MengJiaoRedux

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By jomni (22 APR 2012 7:27pm)

There's something about Total War that feels extremely tiring for me.   I play for a few weeks then stop.  Then play again.

I guess it's the combination of strategic and tactical.  Games with pure strategic or pure tactical has more focus and streamlined gameplay afterall.  Though I'm tempted to skip all battles and let the AI handle it for me (a good sugestion for those who find it too easy to beat the AI), it would mean my A$$ may get beaten up badly and I will regret it as opposed to commanding the battle myself.

It's the same feeling I get playing a Close Combat campaign.  But that one is worse since I am not able to skip battles and the strategic aspect is not deep.

I've always found TW games to be about as satisfying as a big, unfocused game could be.  I've played all the TW except for the original Shogun and three or four mods (Third Age, For King or Country, Some other Medieval Mod -- stainless steel?).

More amazingly, I think Shogun2:FOTS is a classically fun game.  Very satisfying.  It's true I played it obsessively for only a couple of weeks but that's a lot more than I play most games that I enjoy.

Profile Search
24 APR 2012 at 9:57am

panzerseast

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By sandman2575 (24 APR 2012 9:30am)

I dunno -- I'm of the school of thought that I'd much rather spend $50 on a really solid, deep game with an excellent reputation than $10 on 5 games during GG / Steam etc. sales that I spend a few hours with and then never touch again.

I"ve had my eye on Crown of Glory EE for a long time as well -- wondering how it compares in quality and overall fun to Forge of Freedom (same dev, no?). 

Good point.  Looked for a Let's play but could not find one to help get an idea of the game.  Same dev as FoF.  I'll look around for a AAR.

Thanks Anguille for the post, I have missed War & Peace all together and really will give Imperial Glory a try, especially at $5.00 really nothing to lose.   I remember when it came out but never gave it a try.

PE

Profile Search
24 APR 2012 at 10:08am

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Imperial Glory was okay, but nothing amazing.  The campaign side was rather small, although it's basic mechanics were like the old TWs.  The tactical battles were quite RTS-gamey unless you popped a certain mod in for it, which made them somewhat better.

It's really just TW lite, but you may get a short stretch of entertainment.

The Old Guard

Profile Search
24 APR 2012 at 10:14am

panzerseast

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Nefaro (24 APR 2012 10:08am)

Imperial Glory was okay, but nothing amazing.  The campaign side was rather small, although it's basic mechanics were like the old TWs.  The tactical battles were quite RTS-gamey unless you popped a certain mod in for it, which made them somewhat better.

It's really just TW lite, but you may get a short stretch of entertainment.

How is the diplomacy and economic side?  If you choose to auto-resolve battles where the results balanced?

PE

Profile Search

24 APR 2012 at 10:18am

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

I don't think the Auto-resolve did well for the player IIRC, but it's been a long time since I played - got it not long after release.

Diplo and Economy is barely there.  Not much to talk about in those cases.  You'll notice the empty holes where they should be quite a bit.

The Old Guard

Profile Search
24 APR 2012 at 12:18pm

RodyMetal

Centurion
Centurion

I have the same problem with Total War games, for same reasons mentioned before, AI not good, all total war feels the same since the first one, not much to explore anymore, so much repition in battles, in addition to those reason I found out that I hate the loading between the battle and the campaign also the waiting time between turns, those loading kill the immersion for me, thats why I am playing Hegemony: Gold and Knights of Honor instead.

Auto resolve will not make TW intersting at all, since we have paradox games.

Profile Search
24 APR 2012 at 8:50pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Originally Posted By RodyMetal (24 APR 2012 12:18pm)

I have the same problem with Total War games, for same reasons mentioned before, AI not good, all total war feels the same since the first one, not much to explore anymore, so much repition in battles, in addition to those reason I found out that I hate the loading between the battle and the campaign also the waiting time between turns, those loading kill the immersion for me, thats why I am playing Hegemony: Gold and Knights of Honor instead.

Auto resolve will not make TW intersting at all, since we have paradox games.

I actually enjoy the loading before turns. Its the perfect game to play while cooking or doing house chores.

I walk off during loads and actually get more done than I do in other gaming stints

The Old Guard

Profile Search
25 APR 2012 at 12:44pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By destraex (24 APR 2012 8:50pm)

I actually enjoy the loading before turns. Its the perfect game to play while cooking or doing house chores.

I walk off during loads and actually get more done than I do in other gaming stints

You should pick up Pride Of Nations.  Once the wars start up, you can get a good amount done each turn!

The Old Guard

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Total War Blahs

Page 1

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic