Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Flight Sim enthusiast parks cockpit from 707 in his garage for verisimilitude

Page 1

All Forums : [GENERAL] : General Discussion > Flight Sim enthusiast parks cockpit from 707 in his garage for verisimilitude
26 APR 2012 at 3:12pm

meadbelly

Centurion
Centurion

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/homegarden/2018061996_flightsimulatorhome25.html

I'm impressed by anyone who takes their hobby to such an extreme. But I have to wonder -- if you're spending $150k to build a flight simulator so real you cut the nose off a retired jetliner so you can park in your garage -- why not spend the $150k to actually learn to fly?

Even if you couldn't fly a jetliner, wouldn't actual flight in a smaller plane scratch an itch better than simulating a jetliner?

Profile Search

26 APR 2012 at 4:34pm

danlongman

Commander
Commander

Some guys have spent a sizeable fraction of that on the flight sim

rigs in their office or living room.  The flight sim doesn't burn gas

and it doesn't have to live at an airport.  Flying even a tinky plane

is expensive and a common cause of divorce.  Most importantly nobody

cares if you operated your flight sim when you are drunk and if you

crash you do not usually die.  Fortunately i do not have the crazy flight

bug but those who do will spend a lot of treasure on it.

Kinda like booze and hookers, except more wasteful...

"Patriotism is the belief that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it." George Bernard Shaw

Profile Search
26 APR 2012 at 10:15pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I got given pedals the other day from a mate who had a mate who was nuts about flight sims and throwing out a CH pedals set and yoke. My mate thought of me and got them for me

This means I have

pedals

trackIr

hotas cougar

It is as far as I will go and probably further than most go I guess.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games

The Old Guard

Profile Search
30 APR 2012 at 1:20am

meadbelly

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By destraex (26 APR 2012 10:15pm)

I got given pedals the other day from a mate who had a mate who was nuts about flight sims and throwing out a CH pedals set and yoke. My mate thought of me and got them for me

This means I have

pedals

trackIr

hotas cougar

It is as far as I will go and probably further than most go I guess.

Ok, I've meant to ask this before. What's trackir? Is it similar to the Longbow's targeting-based-on-what-the-pilot-is-looking-at-thingie? (hey, it's no "giant flying radar thingie" but I try)

Profile Search
30 APR 2012 at 5:07am

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A trackIR is a device that tracks you head movement and exagerates it in the cockpit for a natural ability to look around.

It feels very very natural looking around and makes it a sinch to keep track of enemy aircraft movements because you just look at them.

No snap views or hats to confuse things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AO0F5sLdVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09-Okg-CZjw

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games

The Old Guard

Profile Search
30 APR 2012 at 9:24am

meadbelly

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By destraex (30 APR 2012 5:07am)

A trackIR is a device that tracks you head movement and exagerates it in the cockpit for a natural ability to look around.

It feels very very natural looking around and makes it a sinch to keep track of enemy aircraft movements because you just look at them.

Ok, I was trying to figure out how that would work. Obviously turning your head to the left and right is problematical without a computer screen to your left or right.

You must have pretty good head control not to bop it around to your music. You _do_ rock out when flying, right? After all, what's the point of dropping cluster munitions, juking below the treeline, or catching the third wire on the Nimitz without inspiring music? (c'mon -- no rock falcon emoticon?)

Profile Search
30 APR 2012 at 11:13am

Ubercat

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By meadbelly (26 APR 2012 3:12pm)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/homegarden/2018061996_flightsimulatorhome25.html

I'm impressed by anyone who takes their hobby to such an extreme. But I have to wonder -- if you're spending $150k to build a flight simulator so real you cut the nose off a retired jetliner so you can park in your garage -- why not spend the $150k to actually learn to fly?

Even if you couldn't fly a jetliner, wouldn't actual flight in a smaller plane scratch an itch better than simulating a jetliner?

Seriously. My Private pilots license only cost $6733 and change.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

“I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers.”
-William H. Gascoyne

Profile Search
30 APR 2012 at 1:24pm

danlongman

Commander
Commander

Still married?

"Patriotism is the belief that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it." George Bernard Shaw

Profile Search
30 APR 2012 at 2:15pm

Ubercat

Commander
Commander

Heh, yep. I got my license in the late 90's and didn't meet my wife till '04. I haven't piloted a plane since about 6 months before 9-11 happened, so it's a moot point. Too expensive (for me) to be just a hobby and I decided not to persue an aviation career.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

“I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers.”
-William H. Gascoyne

Profile Search
30 APR 2012 at 3:22pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Originally Posted By meadbelly (30 APR 2012 9:24am)

Ok, I was trying to figure out how that would work. Obviously turning your head to the left and right is problematical without a computer screen to your left or right.

You must have pretty good head control not to bop it around to your music. You _do_ rock out when flying, right? After all, what's the point of dropping cluster munitions, juking below the treeline, or catching the third wire on the Nimitz without inspiring music? (c'mon -- no rock falcon emoticon?)

Not at all. The TrackIR knows when you are trying to keep your head still. That was a problem with the trackIR1... We are now at 5.

As for the head movement, your eyes never leave the screen. Each small movement brings a large movement on the screen. So by the time your even close to straining your eye balls to stay with your monitor you are facing the rear of the aircraft in game. Apart from this it is configurable. So in reality it is much less effort than looking around in RL.

The device is also a great incentive to sit up straight

The Old Guard

Profile Search
30 APR 2012 at 5:45pm

meadbelly

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By danlongman (30 APR 2012 1:24pm)

Still married?

I get that marriage could definitely be a factor in flight simming vs actually flying. Ubercat's experience suggest that perhaps flying at less than <$10k may be safe with the good women out there. Fwiw, the article about the 707 guy specifically mentions that he didn't start with the serious stuff until after he was divorced, and perhap even because he was divorced.

Does having an ubercat that occasionally insists on putting him/herself between the big warm thing (human) and the computer screen affect track ir? I'm not seriously thinking of getting an trackir -- although I could sure use the posture help! -- but I do have the fog of war cat issue.

(The expression on ubercat's ubercat is priceless btw)

Profile Search

30 APR 2012 at 6:52pm

danlongman

Commander
Commander

I recently retired from working in an aviation related field.

The cost of the recreational flying bug on families is notorious.

My cat, whom i grudgingly served for many years, recently

cast off his mortal coil and now meows in the big cathouse in the sky.

Is this a sign that I should take up flying? Since they do not rent out Spitfires

or CF18's I do not think so.  Considering they pay experienced people

a fair bit of change to drive around them big commercial jets this guy is

paying a lot of money to pretend to do a job somebody else makes a good living at.

I would have been more sad about my cat's passing except he was a liberal

cat and he just did it to prove some stupid point.

Cheers 

Profile Search
1 MAY 2012 at 8:38am

JudgeDredd

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By destraex (30 APR 2012 3:22pm)

Originally Posted By meadbelly (30 APR 2012 9:24am)

Not at all. The TrackIR knows when you are trying to keep your head still. That was a problem with the trackIR1... We are now at 5.

As for the head movement, your eyes never leave the screen. Each small movement brings a large movement on the screen. So by the time your even close to straining your eye balls to stay with your monitor you are facing the rear of the aircraft in game. Apart from this it is configurable. So in reality it is much less effort than looking around in RL.

The device is also a great incentive to sit up straight

mmm...don't know what I'm doing wrong, but if I have it "sensitive" (so small RL head movement = large screen head movement) then I CANNOT keep my head still enough to press buttons - and if I don't have it sensitive, I'm "almost" turning my head 45 degrees in RL to get 90 degrees in game.

I've never found a happy medium with it. The zoom for me is problematic...and looking down. I've just never gotten on with it. I can use it, but it's almost useless for extremeties - looking down and left/right or zomming in and looking up/down

And as I said - I've never got it so it's stable enough so that when I'm looking down to the left and zooming in, I can actually press that button.

Have you tried using it in KA-50? Trying to hold a hover whilst you look around.

The ONLY thing I ever found it useful for was situational awareness - looking around. For actually pinpoint control, I just never worked it out. Shame - 'cos I've always wanted to use it the way people swear by it.

I have 4 not 5.

Profile Search
All Forums : [GENERAL] : General Discussion > Flight Sim enthusiast parks cockpit from 707 in his garage for verisimilitude

Page 1

Jump to:
2 Members Subscribed To This Topic