Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Endless Space

Page 1 of 7 :

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Endless Space
2 MAY 2012 at 5:34pm

fritzkrautenberger

Centurion
Centurion

Hi there,

I came across this game in Steam that I never heard about before. Its a 4x game and I bought it immidiately after seeing the screenshots. I played the Alpha version a bit and it looks and feels already very polished. It is supposed to come out this Summer.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208140/

Profile Search

2 MAY 2012 at 5:36pm

Blakjack

Centurion
Centurion

Looks intriguing.  One to keep an eye on.

If you build an idiot-proof computer, someone will make a better idiot.

The Wargamers Tournament: Phase One Combatant Medal

Profile Search
2 MAY 2012 at 5:52pm

steve58

Centurion
Centurion

Space Sector has a preview of the alpha: http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2012/05/endless-space-alpha-first-look-preview/

(sorry, I'm on my Touchpad and can't figure out how to make that link active...)  fixed the link

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by steve58 : 3 MAY 2012 5:17am
Profile Search
2 MAY 2012 at 10:36pm

Xicano

Centurion
Centurion

Thanks for the heads. Alpha is way too early for me, definitely post your experience with it as it develops.

Profile Search
3 MAY 2012 at 1:47am

fritzkrautenberger

Centurion
Centurion

Great Preview on Space Sector. I agree with the impression by the Author there

I can happily say that the Alpha version of Endless Space is in a already much better state than SOtS 2 was at release or even 6 month after that.

Profile Search
3 MAY 2012 at 4:11am

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

Yep, been following this one for a while now.  A pity the game requires Steam, of course, but otherwise it looks promising. 

Originally Posted By fritzkrautenberger (3 MAY 2012 1:47am)

I can happily say that the Alpha version of Endless Space is in a already much better state than SOtS 2 was at release or even 6 month after that.

Not that that's saying much... 

"I happen to believe that both parties deserve a good scouring with a metal brush and sent to their room without reelection" - Steelgrave

The Old Guard

Profile Search
3 MAY 2012 at 5:31am

fritzkrautenberger

Centurion
Centurion

You are perfectly right Martok. It does not say much.

It was the worst release of a good franchise I can remember.  I am still griefing over SoTS2. Although SoTS2 is regularly updated I still can't get in to the game (hopefully that will change in the near future).

Profile Search
3 MAY 2012 at 9:11am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

I had time to play a couple of turns and look at the tutorial screens - but based on that very brief time, I'm liking what I see. I guess you can only play as human, and can't select random races to play against, but I chalk that up to it being an alpha.

Profile Search
3 MAY 2012 at 11:45am

steve58

Centurion
Centurion

Here's another preview.  This one from StrategyCore: http://www.strategycore.co.uk/articles/previews/endless-space-preview/

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Search
4 MAY 2012 at 5:03am

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

Thanks for the link, Steve.  Will definitely have to check it out. 

Originally Posted By fritzkrautenberger (3 MAY 2012 5:31am)

It was the worst release of a good franchise I can remember.  

Then you never played -- [shudder] -- Master of Orion 3...  

"I happen to believe that both parties deserve a good scouring with a metal brush and sent to their room without reelection" - Steelgrave

The Old Guard

Profile Search
4 MAY 2012 at 5:36am

DCosta

Centurion
Centurion

Can someone who has it explain the combat to me. It sounds like you don't control it like an RTS game but give overall orders then watch it play out, sort of like GSB. Is this the case?

If so I'm interested.

Profile Search

4 MAY 2012 at 6:06am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

Combat is played in 4 phases and is not quite hands off - approach, long-range (beam weapons), mid range(missiles), and short range(kinetic weapons). Each phase both players play a combat card, which will affect what happens in the phase. Most cards are free to play, although the more powerful one cost dust (currency).  There's also a rock-paper-scissors aspect where some cards nullify others.

You start the game with 3 (not sure if they are randomized) and unlock more through research.  I haven't actually engaged in combat yet, so I'm not sure how this system turns out in practice.

Profile Search
4 MAY 2012 at 6:37am

undercovergeek

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By DCosta (4 MAY 2012 5:36am)

Can someone who has it explain the combat to me. It sounds like you don't control it like an RTS game but give overall orders then watch it play out, sort of like GSB. Is this the case?

If so I'm interested.

from a steam preview:-

Combat is interesting. It is certainly not what I’ve grown accustomed to, but that’s not to say it was bad - quite the contrary, I enjoyed it even if I wish more cinematic angles will be included in the final version.

Combat is resolved in four stages: Prologue, Long Range, Medium Range and Melee. All you can do in combat is decide which action you want your whole fleet to take on each of the three last phases. You can either fire kinetic barrages in all stages, or you can focus on ship repair so your ships will last until Melee, or you may try to disable enemy ship sensors, making them misfire. The idea is to decide your actions based on the composition of your fleet. Are your ships better equipped for long range combat than short range? Then you can select an attack action for the Long Range phase, and ship repair in the latter phases. As mentioned, the presence of Heroes may provide more actions, and some of them may have a Dust cost.

You have brief moments to decide your Long Range phase action before the Prologue phase ends (no pause), you can change actions right up to the point when the phase starts.

While you make your decisions, the battle unfolds cinematically, your ships firing or evading, the enemy cannons failing because of your sabotage actions, shields flashing when hit, it’s very entertaining to watch! But I do hope for more camera angles and ship movements in the final version.
This is where graphics really shine, and Endless Space has some pretty ship models and animations, but surely there will be more to talk about in the final version.

Profile Search
4 MAY 2012 at 7:08am

fritzkrautenberger

Centurion
Centurion

Unfortunately I did. Payed full price at release, tried to play it for 4-5 hours and never touched it again. 

Endless Space Combat is interesting. As mentioned in the article I hope they add cameraangles and randomize them more as well.

Profile Search
5 MAY 2012 at 9:50am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

I had an opportunity to get in a bit of time with the combat system this morning, as the Carvers kept trying to take the choke point I held between us.  I like it.  I didn't have a problem selecting combat cards at normal speed because once I survived one turn of combat and had a pretty good idea what cards the A.I. would be playing next turn, I could examine my deck and know ahead of time what I wanted to play in each phase. Of course, I only have 6 cards to work with, so that might become more complicated as time goes on.

One change I would make is to only allow a card to be played once per turn.  It would make combat a lot more challenging and interesting.

Profile Search
6 MAY 2012 at 5:40am

AAshbery76

Commander
Commander

I played the beta a bit and my impression is the game is style over substance.It has a nice visual style and some developed backstory which I like.The gameplay is steamlined.It has simple mechanics all round.No real ground combat system apart from an abstract system involving fleets and planet size.Diplomacy very basic.No espionage system,stealth or scanning systems apart from basic sight range.The combat system is rock,paper with little influence.Planets do not have racial types but generic population numbers.

I think the game will offer some fun when complete but needs expansions to mature to the level of 4X games I already play.

Last edited by AAshbery76 : 6 MAY 2012 5:41am
Profile Search
6 MAY 2012 at 8:23am

tgb123

Commander
Commander

Having put in a lot of hours over the last two days, there are two areas that still need a lot of work

Diplomacy doesn't appear to work at all. Right now I can't get any of the A.I. races to accept a cease fire, and dropping all kinds of free tech on them has no affect on their opinion of me. Plus, after attacking three of my outposts, I got a message that the Carvers don't trust me. WTF? Who attacked who here?

I'm still seeing ships attack and take damage at long and middle range even though they aren't equipped with beam or missile weapons. That has to be a bug.

I'm not pissed, since I realize the state of the game, but I am a bit disappointed that I've seen no response from the developers to any of the issues or questions being raised in the forums. Isn't that the point of letting an Alpha build out of it's cage early?

Profile Search
6 MAY 2012 at 12:09pm

DCosta

Centurion
Centurion

Sometimes I think releasing Alpha builds is a big mistake.

Profile Search
6 MAY 2012 at 12:16pm

Grim.Reaper

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By DCosta (6 MAY 2012 12:09pm)

I am curious as to why.  Personally, I love the concept since it gives me the opportunity to decide if I am willing to risk buying it and playing it early in the hope the game turns out well.  Others who prefer not to join up can wait for the final release.  Seems like a win/win to me and a personal choice.  Only potential downside is if the game is so bad that everyone bashes it publically, harming the future sales of the game.

Profile Search
11 MAY 2012 at 3:04pm

panzerseast

Centurion
Centurion

Good overview

PE

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." BR   |  Website: LinesofCommand

Profile Search
11 MAY 2012 at 9:47pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I have to say I don't really like it at all. The card thing is interesting though.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games

The Old Guard

Profile Search

13 MAY 2012 at 9:41am

Jarhead0331

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Martok (4 MAY 2012 5:03am)

Properly modded, I personally believe MOO3 is the best, most fully featured 4x space strategy game ever made.  For me, it scratches all the right itches.  I've posted at length about my experiences with the modded version of the game.  Check those threads out if you can find them!

"And They shall know no fear, for they are fear incarnate"

The Old Guard

Profile Search
13 MAY 2012 at 4:08pm

DCosta

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Grim.Reaper (6 MAY 2012 12:16pm)

I am curious as to why.  Personally, I love the concept since it gives me the opportunity to decide if I am willing to risk buying it and playing it early in the hope the game turns out well.  Others who prefer not to join up can wait for the final release.  Seems like a win/win to me and a personal choice.  Only potential downside is if the game is so bad that everyone bashes it publically, harming the future sales of the game.

Because I always see people complaining about them as if they where already a fully featured release.

Profile Search
13 MAY 2012 at 5:37pm

Grim.Reaper

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By DCosta (13 MAY 2012 4:08pm)

Originally Posted By Grim.Reaper (6 MAY 2012 12:16pm)

Because I always see people complaining about them as if they where already a fully featured release.

Not sure I would classify that as a mistake for having alpha builds since the people complaining had a choice as to whether to join the alpha or wait until full release.  But I do understand they are not for eveyone, however, that is why I like them since I get to make that choice.  If I am not participating in the alpha and want to not hear all the comments, I just stay clear of those game forums and when I do hear something negative, I just take with a grain of salt knowing it is not a final product.

Profile Search
13 MAY 2012 at 8:31pm

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Jarhead0331 (13 MAY 2012 9:41am)

Originally Posted By Martok (4 MAY 2012 5:03am)

Properly modded, I personally believe MOO3 is the best, most fully featured 4x space strategy game ever made.  For me, it scratches all the right itches.  I've posted at length about my experiences with the modded version of the game.  Check those threads out if you can find them!

I've not forgotten that, actually.  Both you and Anguille have extolled the virtues of a modded MOO3 at enough length that it's still on my "to-do" list to try it out.  (My problem is that list is already quite long, and keeps getting longer...)  So much gaming, so little time! 

Still, I was referring to the vanilla version of the game only.  I suspect even you will agree the original MOO3 (sans mods) was a massive disappointment, especially when compared to the fans' generally high expectations for it. 

The Old Guard

Last edited by Martok : 13 MAY 2012 8:32pm
Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Endless Space

Page 1 of 7 :

Jump to:
4 Members Subscribed To This Topic