Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Australia

Page 1 of 2 :

19 DEC 2012 at 3:39pm

Pining

Commander
Commander

''In the race of life, always back self-interest; at least you know it's trying.'' - Jack LANG

Profile Search

19 DEC 2012 at 4:08pm

gocrows

Centurion
Centurion

I'll run with averything but the ugg boots-only true bogans embrace them!

Profile Search
19 DEC 2012 at 4:13pm

Pining

Commander
Commander

Ha!

I've got a pair hidden away for when it gets really cold down here. Can't say I wear them out though!

''In the race of life, always back self-interest; at least you know it's trying.'' - Jack LANG

Profile Search
11 JAN 2013 at 12:51pm

redcoat2

Centurion
Centurion

Snake on a plane

A snake in the cockpit

Flying in Australia seems like fun. 

Profile Search
11 JAN 2013 at 3:17pm

Rugerman

Centurion
Centurion

G'day mate.

Strooth, i'll by blowed. That's a fair yarn, but for my money it's all in a day's yakka!!

Any ture blue fairdinkum bloke would't give you the steam off his one eyed trouser snake, for any comment like that.

But if it added too the colour and romance of our native soil, to those from foreign ilk's then that i'll be U'bute

Last edited by Rugerman : 13 JAN 2013 4:02pm
Profile Search
12 JAN 2013 at 12:46am

GDS Starfury

General
General

while I think pining is one of the bigger tools this forum has had in a long while there is a striking resemblance to that list and the US South.

The Old Guard

Profile Search
12 JAN 2013 at 6:41am

Pining

Commander
Commander

Why don't you just say you liked it.

Profile Search
12 JAN 2013 at 10:02am

danlongman

Commander
Commander

I do not know if I would see this as a compliment of any kind.

Lets throw away our shoes, drink a gallon of 'shine take the

wheels off our cars and lie in the sun for a spell.  NASCARs on!!!

"Patriotism is the belief that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it." George Bernard Shaw

Profile Search
12 JAN 2013 at 1:59pm

Sigma One

General
General

Originally Posted By GDS Starfury (12 JAN 2013 12:46am)

while I think pining is one of the bigger tools this forum has had in a long while there is a striking resemblance to that list and the US South.

Yeah, no need for the call out there, just keep things on topic here. 

Profile Search
12 JAN 2013 at 3:36pm

Pining

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By danlongman (12 JAN 2013 10:02am)

I do not know if I would see this as a compliment of any kind.

Lets throw away our shoes, drink a gallon of 'shine take the

wheels off our cars and lie in the sun for a spell.  NASCARs on!!!

Ha!

Profile Search
14 JAN 2013 at 11:06pm

GDS Starfury

General
General

and thats different then getting drunk off fosters going on walk about and playing tag with crocs how?

or surfing in great white shark infested waters.  or being blamed for mel gibson.

The Old Guard

Profile Search

14 JAN 2013 at 11:26pm

Pining

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By GDS Starfury (14 JAN 2013 11:06pm)

and thats different then getting drunk off fosters going on walk about and playing tag with crocs how?

or surfing in great white shark infested waters.  or being blamed for mel gibson.

Fosters has never been the most popular beer. Victoria Bitter was but is currently playing second fiddle to XXXX Gold. No one plays tag with crocodiles. You play tag with kangaroos, dance with cockatoos and everyone knows only a fool would try and outrun old man emu. As for shark infested water, that's the sea! It's not that busy with sharks. You see more dolphins. Mel Gibson was born in New York. I'm not sure why any one would be blamed for him. He seems to have been a reasonable actor.

Profile Search
15 JAN 2013 at 12:30am

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Pining (14 JAN 2013 11:26pm)

Mel Gibson was born in New York. I'm not sure why any one would be blamed for him. He seems to have been a reasonable actor.

I think you know perfectly well it's not his acting most folks have a problem with.  I'm therefore going to assume your obtuseness is intentional (although for what reason, I can't imagine). 

"I happen to believe that both parties deserve a good scouring with a metal brush and sent to their room without reelection" - Steelgrave

The Old Guard

Last edited by Martok : 15 JAN 2013 12:33am
Profile Search
15 JAN 2013 at 12:47am

Pining

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Martok (15 JAN 2013 12:30am)

Originally Posted By Pining (14 JAN 2013 11:26pm)

Mel Gibson was born in New York. I'm not sure why any one would be blamed for him. He seems to have been a reasonable actor.

I think you know perfectly well it's not his acting most folks have a problem with.  I'm therefore going to assume your obtuseness is intentional (although for what reason, I can't imagine). 

We'll if your referring to his personal life, my understanding is he has had alcohol related behavioural problems. This has caused him relationship problems. It appears to have also been the reason for several distasteful rants.

As to what he is like as a person, I have no idea. I have never met him.

What will he be remembered for when he dies?

His acting, I would suspect.

I don't think anyone will be blamed for birthing him.

Are you suggesting I should hate/dislike him? He's a prima donna, like many others in his field.

Last edited by Pining : 15 JAN 2013 12:50am
Profile Search
15 JAN 2013 at 1:22am

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mel Gibson moved to Australia when he was 12. I certainly do know why people are not fond of him. He is like most other high profile actors. 

A lot of the stuff in that article is silly. But some words are Australiana.

That article does portray Australians as a bunch of buffoons. To an Australian it is actually something to be kind of proud of while having a bit of a laugh at the same time.  The working class background of Australians and the general down to earth values most australians lived by a few generations ago is what talk like that symbolises. 

Australians loved hastling the English for their pompery while getting the job done in honest, straight to the point down to earth manner. This kind of speak is about mateship and equality between Aussies. It is about stupid words made up by working men.

Diggers, station hands or otherwise. 

It is as you say about the good ole boys from the south in a way. Except not in a stupid way. There were not the typical straw in mouth dummies that are stereotyped in America sometimes. There is no inbreeding or any other connotations. Just honest hard work and smarts, well some words are associated with silly people but they are usually misunderstood and not completely silly. Like your mechanic who is a wiz at cars but nothing else. So not in the nobel prize kinda way (although a lot of inventions came from AU and got sold overseas, we were leading the rocket race at one stage apparently).

It is about a lack of pretentiousness. An open-ness that enables instead of the pointless posturing and politicking.

The eternal realist who says it how it is. Creating a kind of informed or forced naivety where it would seem that one is innocent to the point of almost being a simpleton. Even our leaders of the past took a little pride in not being your typical pompus ass politicians.

Beer was a big part of Australian culture and still is. Again showing the very flat class curve of a mainly middle class society.

As for surfing in shark infested waters. That may be true. But when I used to surf I only saw one or two of the buggers.

Australia is a big place and crocs are only in the tropical areas near the top of Australia. Crocodile Dundee was just a movie. Nobody goes swimming where crocs have been sighted.

The old values\stereotype have all but dissappeared. Kind of sad but thats progress. 

I don't think anybody visiting this country would experience it anymore.

Anyways. Enough for now Cobbers.

We have only contributed a few smaller things... but what do you expect from a little british colony

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_inventions

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games

The Old Guard

Last edited by destraex : 15 JAN 2013 1:35am
Profile Search
15 JAN 2013 at 1:37am

Pining

Commander
Commander

Some go swimming where the crocs are. Not too often.

Usually one or so a year that don't come back.

But it's all good bloke!

Profile Search
15 JAN 2013 at 1:54am

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fair go mate. 

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games

The Old Guard

Profile Search
16 JAN 2013 at 5:58pm

Pining

Commander
Commander

Another warm one and the cicadas are going off!

Profile Search
16 JAN 2013 at 6:36pm

Sigma One

General
General

I've never been to Australia, I'm under the impression that the wildlife is out there to kill you.

Wandering spiders especially. I saw a short clip showing how they go into pools and either hang out in the filter or can go underwater and roam about. 

I'd love to visit sometime though, just gonna wear some armor.

Profile Search
16 JAN 2013 at 6:51pm

danlongman

Commander
Commander

Thats what all the beer is for.  If a spider bites a guy

the spider dies.

"Patriotism is the belief that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it." George Bernard Shaw

Profile Search
16 JAN 2013 at 7:23pm

Pining

Commander
Commander

http://www.termite.com.au/spider-identification.html#redback

I think you might be talking about the Sydney Funnel Web. I've never seen one. They don't come down this far south. They are supposedly with in 100kms of Sydney.

Plenty of other types to go around though.

I don't personally know anyone who has died of a spider bite. My wife got bitten 5 times by a white tail one day. That left several large hard bruises on her legs for about a week.

It's a bit like worrying about getting hit by lightning, or run over by a bus, or attacked by a shark. Yes, I could happen, but do you live your life worrying about it? No.

Profile Search

16 JAN 2013 at 7:24pm

Pining

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By danlongman (16 JAN 2013 6:51pm)

Thats what all the beer is for.  If a spider bites a guy

the spider dies.

I think that means I will be amune to any of the buggers!

Profile Search
17 JAN 2013 at 5:14am

Arjuna

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Sigma One (16 JAN 2013 6:36pm)

I've never been to Australia, I'm under the impression that the wildlife is out there to kill you.

Only if you're scared or gullible!

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor

www.panthergames.com

Profile Search
17 JAN 2013 at 5:22am

Pining

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Arjuna (17 JAN 2013 5:14am)

Originally Posted By Sigma One (16 JAN 2013 6:36pm)

Only if you're scared or gullible!

Not completely. Snakes can be a bit of a pest. I see plenty of Redbacks and i've come across a Blue Ring or two.

Profile Search
17 JAN 2013 at 7:19pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

In exactly the same way though that sigma has probably seen wolves and mountain lions along with bears.

We have most of the top poisonous animals on the planet here but we do not really have any large predators apart from crocs and sharks.

We have fires and droughts but not really the tornadoes and earthquakes that some parts of the US get.

Australia is no more dangerous than any other country.

The Old Guard

Profile Search

Page 1 of 2 :

Jump to:
2 Members Subscribed To This Topic