Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: The Great Oil Swindle Scaling the Peak of Fossil Fuel Scarcity

Page 1

All Forums : [GENERAL] : General Discussion : Current Events > The Great Oil Swindle Scaling the Peak of Fossil Fuel Scarcity
14 JAN 2013 at 9:16pm

ralfy

Centurion
Centurion

"Delving deeper into the available data shows that we are already in the throes of a global energy transition in which the age of cheap oil is well and truly over. For most serious analysts, far from signifying a world running out of oil, 'peak oil' refers simply to the point when, due to a combination of below-ground geological constraints and above-ground economic factors, oil becomes increasingly and irreversibly more difficult and expensive to produce."

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/01/13-5

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.--Albert Einstein

Profile Search

14 JAN 2013 at 11:35pm

danlongman

Commander
Commander

I read an article a while ago that said the Bundeswehr had already

decided peak oil was in the process of passing now.  I do not know

but according to some there is cheap oil lying around all over the place

just a matter of ripping things up to get at it.  And some other stuff.

There's always some other stuff.  We can always drill them reindeer

in Alaska

"Patriotism is the belief that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it." George Bernard Shaw

Profile Search
23 JAN 2013 at 5:20am

ralfy

Centurion
Centurion

The problem's non-conventional oil sources are more expensive energy-wise. We need more "easy" oil, and lots of it.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.--Albert Einstein

Profile Search
23 JAN 2013 at 10:25pm

Pining

Commander
Commander

Seek and I shall find it for you.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/trillion-shale-oil-find-surrounding-coober-pedy-can-fuel-australia/story-fndo471r-1226560401043

''In the race of life, always back self-interest; at least you know it's trying.'' - Jack LANG

Profile Search
28 JAN 2013 at 8:26pm

ralfy

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Pining (23 JAN 2013 10:25pm)

Seek and I shall find it for you.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/trillion-shale-oil-find-surrounding-coober-pedy-can-fuel-australia/story-fndo471r-1226560401043

What is technically recoverable is always many times higher than what is actually extracted, and that in turn is decreased further given lower energy returns, especially for shale oil. What makes matters even worse is extraction rate unable to keep up with demand.

That's why the best-case scenario for the IEA is a 9-pct increase in energy production from all oil and gas sources worldwide for the next two decades. Unfortunately, the global economy needs to increase energy demand by 1.4 to 2 pct a year to maintain economic growth (the equivalent of one Saudi Arabia every seven years), and the 9-pct overall increase is based on the assumption that conventional oil production will never drop. But Morgan Stanley forecasts negative spare capacity soon:

http://www.businessinsider.com/oil-spare-capacity-2013-2011-2

Profile Search
29 JAN 2013 at 12:33am

danlongman

Commander
Commander

No.  There are gigatons of it everywhere.  The gay commies are keeping

us from it so America will stop being a strong and free beacon of liberty

to the right-hearted, brave and resolute freedom lovers of the world.

Plus they will make us wear skirts and take away our guns/penises

and our cheap oil.

"Patriotism is the belief that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it." George Bernard Shaw

Profile Search
All Forums : [GENERAL] : General Discussion : Current Events > The Great Oil Swindle Scaling the Peak of Fossil Fuel Scarcity

Page 1

Jump to:
0 Members Subscribed To This Topic