Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: An Email from SES about Jutland and Steam

Page 1 of 8 :

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > An Email from SES about Jutland and Steam
20 JAN 2013 at 4:35am

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

An Email from SES about Jutland and Steam. Thought I might share.

I found it interesting that SES tried to get their product on steam. This would have made me much happier and probably would have meant I played it a little more. As it stands I am getting an urge to re-install it. All the talk about the surviving British Battlecruiser Caroline getting $1,000,000 pounds for restoration and Australian Battlecruisers:

..............................................................................................................................................................................................

Thank you for contacting StormPowered.

We understand and appreciate your concerns regarding additional digital distribution clients and are sorry to hear about your issue with Impulse.

Have you tried StormPowered at all? It works much the same was as Steam does in that you can download, install, and play your games all from the client.

What’s more is we no longer have the 7 day ‘phone home’ period. Activations of all Storm Eagle Studios (and many other games on StormPowered) are handled automatically without the need to keep track of license numbers or passwords like before. Once you’ve installed the game and played it at least once while connected to the internet, it will be available offline without issue. StormPowered has an offline mode much the same as Steam’s offline mode. Any games that have been fully updated that include the StormPowered DRM, will be available for play offline. The only limitation to this is any third party games that have an online component beyond our control.

[size= large]We attempted to get Jutland on Steam before we released StormPowered but were denied for unknown reasons.

I hope I’ve clarified any concerns you may have about StormPowered. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Mike

SES Support

..................................................................................................................................................................................................

Remember this. Still captures the imagination. So many ships in line.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games

The Old Guard

Last edited by destraex : 20 JAN 2013 4:50am
Profile Search

20 JAN 2013 at 6:27am

phantom

Centurion
Centurion

I must say I am attracted to Jutland (& Distant guns) but was put off by the DRM & the very negative comments it had attracted. The above post makes it more attractive. I must say Mike from SES was very helpful when I hit problems installing the demo. The demo games I've played I've enjoyed, the game seems to play historically well & the graphics are excellent, the option to play off line may be a game changer for me, as I don't like the idea of not being able to play something because someone else has a server issue.

I'm currently reading Castles of Steel by Robert Massie - anyone interested in WW1 at sea should read this, Massie is a great storyteller. For all the Aussies out there it also has a couple of chapters on Gallipolli - for me it was very illuminating as, being written by an American, it seemed quite a balanced review of that unfortunate campaign.

Profile Search
20 JAN 2013 at 9:12am

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Steam turned down quite a few nice indies in the past.  Not surprising this one was too.

Ditching the 7-day online license renewal thing was a much-needed move.  But SES already had a cloud hanging over it's head from the previous DRM scheme, so I don't know how much more business it garned by that point.

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search
20 JAN 2013 at 11:49am

Stolypin

Centurion
Centurion

I have posted this many times but since the topic keeps getting raised, I'll post it again:

I've played Distant Guns and Jutland extensively and have never had a single problem with Stormpower or SES.  I consider these games in the top ten of all wargames I have played (and I've been playing for 4 decades). 

Profile Search
20 JAN 2013 at 12:16pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Agreed.

I had one issue, during the switchover to StormPowered, regarding my login.  But CS responded in less than 2 days (it was the weekend) and quickly replied to my updates until we got it fixed that same day.  So I was happy with the support I received - haven't had an issue since (fortunately) so I've not noticed any issues with their client.  Very happy they ditched the draconian DRM awhile back.

The Old Guard

Profile Search
20 JAN 2013 at 2:20pm

DennisS

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Nefaro (20 JAN 2013 12:16pm)

Agreed.

I had one issue, during the switchover to StormPowered, regarding my login.  But CS responded in less than 2 days (it was the weekend) and quickly replied to my updates until we got it fixed that same day.  So I was happy with the support I received - haven't had an issue since (fortunately) so I've not noticed any issues with their client.  Very happy they ditched the draconian DRM awhile back.

Are we all suffering from amnesia? Is this revisionist history? Don't make me dredge up the old threads, thoroughly documenting the ABYSMAL track record of this company.

For those that love these games, that's awesome. I am happy that you're happy...but don't blow smoke up our collective skirts, by portraying this company as anything other than what it is.

They don't know why Steam turned down their business? Really?

Last edited by DennisS : 20 JAN 2013 2:20pm
Profile Search
20 JAN 2013 at 5:15pm

Mikeck

Commander
Commander

Agreed. I don't bitch about games, I just won't buy from companies that don't provide what i deserve. SES refused to help me when my my game wouldnt activate and accused me of pirating the game.

"love is preserved by link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails."

Profile Search
20 JAN 2013 at 8:53pm

Stolypin

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By DennisS (20 JAN 2013 2:20pm)

Agreed.

Are we all suffering from amnesia? Is this revisionist history? Don't make me dredge up the old threads, thoroughly documenting the ABYSMAL track record of this company.

For those that love these games, that's awesome. I am happy that you're happy...but don't blow smoke up our collective skirts, by portraying this company as anything other than what it is.

You don't need to "dredge up the old threads."  I remember them quite well and participated in many of them.  My distinct recollection is that rather than containing posts "thoroughly documenting" anything, those threads contained posts from a few people who had bad experiences with SES 5 or 6 years ago and wouldn't let it go.  And I remember lots of posts from people piling on with "Yeah, that company sux" without any specifics whatsoever.    

In my 40 years of wargaming, I don't recall any company so thoroughly and unfairly trashed as SES.  And it's a shame considering that DG and Jutland are outstanding games by one of wargaming's best designers, Norm Koger. 

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 6:41am

sabre31

Centurion
Centurion

Agreed.

Could not have said it better myself, you are spot on.   This company is a joke and treated their paying customers like crap.  I bought Distant Guns and to this day I can't play the game I bought -- no thanks.  I suspect they are sending these emails because they lost a lot of sales and people not wanting to buy their games.   Hey here is a bright idea,  if you are hurting so bad and want your games sold why not remove your storm powered malware and just do plain and simple serial numbers like Matrix does.  Trust me nobody will pirate your games and I bet you will get more sales and treat your customers with honesty.  Issue is this company is so blind to what is happening to them they will never change they feel they are right and everybody else is wrong.

Last edited by sabre31 : 21 JAN 2013 6:41am
Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 6:44am

sabre31

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Stolypin (20 JAN 2013 8:53pm)

Agreed.

You don't need to "dredge up the old threads."  I remember them quite well and participated in many of them.  My distinct recollection is that rather than containing posts "thoroughly documenting" anything, those threads contained posts from a few people who had bad experiences with SES 5 or 6 years ago and wouldn't let it go.  And I remember lots of posts from people piling on with "Yeah, that company sux" without any specifics whatsoever.    

In my 40 years of wargaming, I don't recall any company so thoroughly and unfairly trashed as SES.  And it's a shame considering that DG and Jutland are outstanding games by one of wargaming's best designers, Norm Koger. 

A few users I bet it was more then just a few users that had issues and the company flat out called them pirates when the root cause was their malware virus infested DRM software.   If you are happy and have had zero issues that is great I am happy for you.

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 7:32am

ArizonaTank

Centurion
Centurion

Jutland owner here...had trouble being able to start the game from time to time due to the DRM...and that ticked me off for a product that I paid a bit of money for. 

So I am happy to see them power down the DRM....

"No, No, mix them all up.  I'm tired of state's rights." 

Union General George Thomas' reply to his chaplain, when asked if the dead from the Chatanooga campaign should be buried by state as had been done at Gettysburg.

Profile Search

21 JAN 2013 at 2:31pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By sabre31 (21 JAN 2013 6:44am)

Agreed.

A few users I bet it was more then just a few users that had issues and the company flat out called them pirates when the root cause was their malware virus infested DRM software.   If you are happy and have had zero issues that is great I am happy for you.

I've only stated my personal experience with them.  If they had accused me of attempting to pirate their software, and refused to help, I would also be rightfully pissed.  But I've had no problems yet.  Still.. such stories of runaway Piracy Paranoia, to the point of accusing their own customer, does nothing to help their image. 

If I ever have a bad experience, I'll be right here letting everyone know too.  I haven't thus far.  *shrug*

The Old Guard

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 5:23pm

DennisS

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Nefaro (21 JAN 2013 2:31pm)

Agreed.

I've only stated my personal experience with them.  If they had accused me of attempting to pirate their software, and refused to help, I would also be rightfully pissed.  But I've had no problems yet.  Still.. such stories of runaway Piracy Paranoia, to the point of accusing their own customer, does nothing to help their image. 

If I ever have a bad experience, I'll be right here letting everyone know too.  I haven't thus far.  *shrug*

It's all good. We're all gamers here; we're happy that you're happy.

Personally, I am quite happy with NWS Steam and Iron. Graphics aren't as pretty, but the gameplay and support is excellent.

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 5:39pm

Stolypin

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By DennisS (21 JAN 2013 5:23pm)

Originally Posted By Nefaro (21 JAN 2013 2:31pm)

Agreed.

It's all good. We're all gamers here; we're happy that you're happy.

Personally, I am quite happy with NWS Steam and Iron. Graphics aren't as pretty, but the gameplay and support is excellent.

Steam and Iron is next on my list.

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 6:01pm

Herman Hum

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By DennisS (21 JAN 2013 5:23pm)

Agreed.  I reported 4 or 5 bugs when it first released and all were fixed by their first patch.

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 7:23pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Stolypin (21 JAN 2013 5:39pm)

Steam and Iron is next on my list.

I kinda prefer the gameplay in S&I due to it's relative ease of use in managing such large fleets (to include the far easier UI), and encompassing a larger scope of units and nations.  While SES Jutland loosk better in 3D, it's also more of a pain to manage in nearly every way - and I often end up issuing orders from it's terrible looking and low-functionality map window anyway.  Then again, it also has a full-on campaign system which is pretty awesome and that's what originally broke my anti-DRM resolve against it.  I'm such a whore.

Like Herman, nearly all of my suggestions regarding needed hotkeys and added UI functionality was implemented rather quickly in S&I, so the post-release support was top notch.  I look forward to checking out the finished campaign engine for it, when it's done.

The Old Guard

Last edited by Nefaro : 21 JAN 2013 7:25pm
Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 9:28pm

Herman Hum

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Nefaro (21 JAN 2013 7:23pm)

Then again, it also has a full-on campaign system which is pretty awesome and that's what originally broke my anti-DRM resolve against it.  I'm such a whore.

Does that campaign actually work?  Wasn't there some kind of bug in it that kept re-positioning ships as they tried to flee (or something like that)?

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 12:57am

Crinius

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Herman Hum (21 JAN 2013 9:28pm)

Originally Posted By Nefaro (21 JAN 2013 7:23pm)

Then again, it also has a full-on campaign system which is pretty awesome and that's what originally broke my anti-DRM resolve against it.  I'm such a whore.

Does that campaign actually work?  Wasn't there some kind of bug in it that kept re-positioning ships as they tried to flee (or something like that)?

Thats not a bug. Thats a feature! 

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 2:43am

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Some pics of me re-aquanting myself with the interface:

Spoiler Alert

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games

The Old Guard

Last edited by destraex : 22 JAN 2013 2:50am
Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 9:43am

Hexagon

Centurion
Centurion

I follow a lot of time both games (maybe i am more interested in Distant guns) but DRM kills my interest on both games specially when you add to this a high price and not a very friendly interface to manage big battles.

I have other games with DRM one give to me problems but were solved in the same day and others in 3 years 0 problems, i am not a fan of DRMs but are DRMs and DRMs and SES for me has the worst i see.

When they do offers in games i was tented to buy both in full versions but the money i invest is simple to high for a company that doesnt give me enough guaranties.

I buy S&I and i am happy with it, much better than SES games even when it is less "visual" and i only need pay and forvige about the DRM wants f**k me and leave me days without game.... if finally can play it.

If SES eliminate the DRM (leave a serial system as Matrix games for example) and do a good offer joined to this sure they sell more than in 5 years as it is now.

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 1:58pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

hexagon you don't have any steam, impulse or origin games?

The Old Guard

Profile Search

23 JAN 2013 at 3:33am

Hexagon

Centurion
Centurion

Yes, a lot of games in Steam but as i say in the post SES has the WORST DRM system i see in wargames (i have few wargames in Steam and i can play them off-line), only Ubisoft has one worst and i have 0 games from them with this DRM even when i see their games cheap on Steam.

Compare Steam with SES is ... well, not very favorable to SES system, i dont remember cant play any of my Steam games because i am a "pirate" and need wait days to see it solved... when you have problems even with a demo (limited demo in time...) is not a good thing.

If SES games be avaliable on Steam sure i buy them even if i prefer better a model like in Matrixgames but between Steam and SES i prefer Steam, maybe this is why Steam dont take SES games.

When a lot of people complain about DRM maybe is better change DRM model not try change people i am not the only one that dont buy SES games thanks to DRM, i dont know what is better, lose sells for pirates or lose clients for DRM... and these niche games are not tops on pirate list.

PD: Steam has an off-line mode something i rare times use but is posible play not pure on-line games in solo mode without internect conection unlike other plataforms.

Last edited by Hexagon : 23 JAN 2013 3:46am
Profile Search
23 JAN 2013 at 4:54am

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hexagon you do realise SES games are now playable offline and initial install is through a steam style client through which auto updates come? They have improved a little since the days of 14days and your games broke.

As for accusations of piracy. I have not personally had that experience and have had to use their support numerous times even back in the game squad days.

I am not doubting the people who have had this happen to them here. The threads are still around somewhere.

Have you ever had an argument with a mate or hated somebody and felt silly 10yrs later?

What I find funny is the most innovative 3D wargames companies of the last 10yrs or so. Namely battlefront and SES cop the most flack from the community for their DRM and support methods. They are also some of the few to have survived as indy companies. Ironic.

Publishers I would also put Paradox Interactive in the same bag for being bagged. Perhaps even UBI with its innovative games. Again ironic. They are not putting out crappy hollywood re-runs and also seem to have the most complaints. The steel beasts pro PE guys are another mob people complain about. Having to have a usb key for DRM. Also happens to be one of the best games in the history of man from a wargaming perspective.

I dunno. Has not happened to me and they have been as nice as pie. 

I wonder if the support call for those that were accused of being pirates started with an accusation from the customer?

I cannot remember to be honest. What are we fighting the war for again sir? At least we remember why it started

I cannot defend them and have no ties to SES what so ever. 

I do wish they would come here and defend themselves or apologise if their were any heated words at all.

What would you all do if I could get the SES devs to come over and make peace?

The Old Guard

Last edited by destraex : 23 JAN 2013 5:01am
Profile Search
23 JAN 2013 at 6:02am

Hexagon

Centurion
Centurion

Well, survive... you can understand it as a positive thing or not, SES is more in "zombie" mode and for me both are death, since i have a problem with CM:BNM no more money to Battlefront specially after the pay patches... is not a question of hate is a question of do a list with positive things and negative and negative list wins in my case.

Apart this are other things like how SES ignore and leave die the gamesquad comunity about their games a clever movement that improve a lot the feedback and the perception that customers have about their company

Innovative is valid first time but after years... well, they are not alone and for example i think that graviteam is eating alive Battlefront with a much better engine (even when is not a turn based game) and SES for me lose VS the "poor" Steam and Iron by KO.

Then, now how work SES DRM??? you need a tool like Steam to play the game??? or is like in Battlefront games??? both bad options for me because first option... well SES is not Steam in guaranties and second option i discard thanks to my experience with CM.

I like many games that DRMs and other protection system/lack of support simple made them for me not an option.

Last edited by Hexagon : 23 JAN 2013 6:02am
Profile Search
23 JAN 2013 at 6:37am

Thewood1

Centurion
Centurion

So we don't get too far down the revisionist road...

Distant Guns came out, what 8 years ago, and was pretty buggy.  Took a couple years to get it running well.  Had the online DRM only for a while.

Jutland came out about 4 years ago and switched to dial home with a 7-day limit for playing offline.  The game was pretty good, but the DRM was buggy as hell.  I personally had to wait almost a month to play it.  There were maybe 30-40 people in the same boat and the only communications with SES was on gamesquad.  Mr. Rose immediately stated that the only people having issues and complaining were pirates.  That did not go over well, as can be expected.

If he had stopped there and just apologized, most people would have moved on.  Instead he went on and on about how we were all out to get him and drive SES out of business.  That led to a couple of years of a few defenders fighting a rearguard action at the gamesquad forum.  SES continued to cock up thier communications on gamesquad.  They went as far as getting one of their beta testers posted as moderator and they started banning anyone complaining about DRM not working.  That was really them burning bridges as they started up thier own forum on Stormpowered.

Then when Stormpowered launched, it took almost a year to get the bugs worked out.  In that time, look at the forum at Stormpowered...the few people posting were mostly pointing out they couldn't get the game to run because of the DRM.  SES goes about 6 months with no communications at all.  Then they suddenly show up and make a few statements when people start complaining on other forums.  It is a pattern you can see on their forum.

And to top it off, the last pack released was a buggy mess.  They still have some significant bugs in campaigns with no plan to fix.  There hasn't been a real game update in a year.  The last update was an exe update to support the map pack.

SES has a consistent track record of complaining about people their systems and doing what they can to silence them.  They have failed in supprting their games over the last 4 years.  They hve especially failed in having a high availability DRM system that lets players run their games and move them to new computers.

I am not a person running around and screaming about DRM.  But companies like SES and BFC better make sure DRM works and is avialable.  SES has not done that.  And they get mad when you complain about it.  BFC is heading in the same direction.  Thier old CMSF DRM is a nightmare to register and unregister.  The new one is even worse.  I have had to have my licenses reset twice in three months as I added RAM, bought a new laptop, and upgraded a sound driver.  BFC was very responsive, but It still ate up four hours of my life.  Small companies should not be doing DRM themselves...period.

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > An Email from SES about Jutland and Steam

Page 1 of 8 :

Jump to:
5 Members Subscribed To This Topic