Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: EA reserves the right to ban SimCity beta testers from all EA products for not reporting bugs

Page 1 of 2 :

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > EA reserves the right to ban SimCity beta testers from all EA products for not reporting bugs
21 JAN 2013 at 6:47am

JaguarUSF

Commander
Commander

http://www.sidequesting.com/2013/01/ea-reserves-the-right-to-ban-simcity-testers-from-all-ea-products-for-not-reporting-bugs/

Profile Search

21 JAN 2013 at 6:53am

Reich36

Commander
Commander

Wow.

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 7:22am

ArizonaTank

Centurion
Centurion

I assume these are the typical "volunteer" beta testers....game fans who just can't wait to get their hands on the new products.  So not only are they expected to work for free....but are threatened with a ban if they fail in their "job". 

What happened to the days when game companies actually liked their fans?

"No, No, mix them all up.  I'm tired of state's rights." 

Union General George Thomas' reply to his chaplain, when asked if the dead from the Chatanooga campaign should be buried by state as had been done at Gettysburg.

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 8:34am

Queeg

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By ArizonaTank (21 JAN 2013 7:22am)

I assume these are the typical "volunteer" beta testers....game fans who just can't wait to get their hands on the new products.  So not only are they expected to work for free....but are threatened with a ban if they fail in their "job". 

No one's gonna get banned for a mistake.  They just want to be sure that folks who sign up to beta test actually take their jobs seriously instead of just treating the positon as a chance to play a game early.

One part of "liking" their fans is providing a bug-free game on release.  To do that, beta testers have to take their job seriously.

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 8:48am

robc04

Centurion
Centurion

This makes me want to sign up.

Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 9:01am

DennisS

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Queeg (21 JAN 2013 8:34am)

Originally Posted By ArizonaTank (21 JAN 2013 7:22am)

No one's gonna get banned for a mistake.  They just want to be sure that folks who sign up to beta test actually take their jobs seriously instead of just treating the positon as a chance to play a game early.

One part of "liking" their fans is providing a bug-free game on release.  To do that, beta testers have to take their job seriously.

I agree with this. I have been a beta tester, for multiple products, and I took the responsibility seriously. Not just for bugs, but for game balancing as well.

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 9:49am

Reich36

Commander
Commander

I gotta ask the "dumb question" here..so here goes,

but what if you don't notice bugs in your game? I mean CTDs is obvious, BSODs, odd graphic artifacts..but game play? I did beta tests for Unity of Command and I was trying to learn the game in order to test it, and what was embarrassing when I visited the forums and offered some feedback but I didn't have the savvy as others did.

Last edited by Reich36 : 21 JAN 2013 9:52am
Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 9:58am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Reich36 (21 JAN 2013 9:49am)

I gotta ask the "dumb question" here..so here goes,

but what if you don't notice bugs in your game? I mean CTDs is obvious, BSODs, odd graphic artifacts..but game play? I did beta tests for Unity of Command and I was trying to learn the game in order to test it, and what was embarrassing when I visited the forums and offered some feedback but I didn't have the savvy as others did.

Plain and simple you get BANNED from ALL EA games past present and future. So, one just has to ask the question "do I really want to take that chance just to be able to play the game early?"

I'm in agreement with this as well because all too often games come out buggy and crappy as hell because the MAJORITY of beta testers didn't do their job and just wanted to "play" the game with no care in the world for helping to "fix" it. I personally think there should be beta testing "tests" you have to pass before you can beta test. Maybe 10 small programs with bugs in them and you have to find them. Created randomly so no jerk can post the answers on a website. How I hate information websites on games and how to exploit them and where everything is in them....MMO sites especially.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 10:46am

Sigma One

General
General

Yikes!

Although I can see the reasoning in perhaps banning them from a certain game, but all their games is a WAY out of proportion.

And in this case, I think it should apply to in-house beta testers, as that's their job, sometimes they're paid for it! If you're doing mass beta tests where customers are involved potentially, this can be a disaster.

Wasn't there something a few years ago about EA banning forum members and in turn, they're banned from accessing their games?

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 10:58am

Reich36

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Sigma One (21 JAN 2013 10:46am)

Yikes!

Although I can see the reasoning in perhaps banning them from a certain game, but all their games is a WAY out of proportion.

And in this case, I think it should apply to in-house beta testers, as that's their job, sometimes they're paid for it! If you're doing mass beta tests where customers are involved potentially, this can be a disaster.

Wasn't there something a few years ago about EA banning forum members and in turn, they're banned from accessing their games?

Yes there was with Battlefield3, I think. It was really ugly.

Last edited by Reich36 : 21 JAN 2013 11:58am
Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 11:10am

danlongman

Commander
Commander

Well I already hate EA and resent having to buy their products even

when my daughter wants them (the only time).  I have many games and I do not need

to support EA.  If there ever was an excuse for piracy EA and Ubisoft

provide it....since I am a criminal before the fact, why not just steal it?

Since I will not steal it I won't buy it either.

"Patriotism is the belief that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it." George Bernard Shaw

Profile Search

21 JAN 2013 at 1:58pm

DBeves

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By JaguarUSF (21 JAN 2013 6:47am)

http://www.sidequesting.com/2013/01/ea-reserves-the-right-to-ban-simcity-testers-from-all-ea-products-for-not-reporting-bugs/

Utterly ridiculous. If they want to do that then they should pay them - at least they have some cause or right to do what they say then - otherwise they takes their chances with volunteers.

Last edited by DBeves : 21 JAN 2013 2:00pm
Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 2:21pm

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Sigma One (21 JAN 2013 10:46am)

It happened with some EA-Bioware forum people.

This kinda crap doesn't make us appreciate EA any more than we already do.

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 3:42pm

DivineT

Centurion
Centurion

What a great marketing tool to get more customer loyalty. Geez

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 4:35pm

Greybriar

Commander
Commander

The people that make the decisions at EA must be insane.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Profile Search
21 JAN 2013 at 7:25pm

Swatter

Commander
Commander

EA has been doing this stuff for awhile, banning people from all of the games they bought for some infraction or other. It has always looked really, really bad. Yet, they seem to be expanding the idiocy even further by now banning a non-action.

BETA testers are no substitute for in-house testers. BETA testers are not paid and often must deal with games that are riddled with bugs and often unplayable. To somehow punish these unpaid people with real monetary punishment, if for example you don't report enough bugs or perhaps a certain bug, that borders on insane. So what if a portion of the test population are dead weight, its a part of the business- AND BTW THEY ARE FREE TESTERS.

At the same time, it doesn't surprise me. The suits at EA think they are too big and successful to fail. That is the only way I can even imagine why they would even threaten to lock people out of the products for forum infractions or not reporting bugs. There are people in high places in EA who simply don't respect their customers and take them for granted.

Which is why I simply don't buy anything from them. Thats not the only reason, though. The last product I purchased from EA was through their Origins service. I purchased an older game for $10 which didn't install properly. After some research I found out that it didn't install properly for a vast majority of OS configurations due to some outdated code, which would likely be easy to fix. Anyway, they said it was a known issue and was being "worked on". The game was on a list of dozens of games experiencing the same problem. That post was like a year old. The thing is, they were still selling the products- knowing damn well they didn't work and they likely have no intention of making them work. To cap it all off- they won't refund you for a game that doesn't work for your system.

That is a company that thinks its untouchable. EA will come crashing down someday and it will be a good day in my book.

Edit- EA reminds me of the people at the DMV. They know their jobs are safe so they don't give a crap about how they treat people. Its like the people at the DMW know that they are slow and often rude, and it kinda gives them a kick because they are untouchable.

At EA, you have that same type of unresponsive and tone deaf monster running around like you have at the DMV. Some people might be all-in with EA purchases that might run into the hundreds of dollars. As if you were a potential trouble maker, rather than a valued customer, they hold these intrusive powers over over your head, in an effort to manipulate and control any behaviour they might not approve of, regardless if that behaviour has anything to do with the product you purchased from them.

The simple solution is to not buy anything from them. I have already signed up for that.

Last edited by Swatter : 21 JAN 2013 7:51pm
Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 12:26am

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ivory Towers comes to mind. 

Cliffs of Dover finally fixed

The Old Guard

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 3:36am

Stauffenberg

Centurion
Centurion

Publishers of PC games are living on numbered days.

Crowdfunding will make them obsolete and they will go the way of the T.Rex.

Lieutenant General James Longstreet: We should have freed the slaves, THEN fired on Fort Sumter.

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 4:50am

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Stauffenberg I actually think crowd funding may be a fad that may continue but I doubt its a major threat.

Cliffs of Dover finally fixed

The Old Guard

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 5:10am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By destraex (22 JAN 2013 12:26am)

Ivory Towers comes to mind. 

Drown a cold, starve a fever comes to mind here.

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 1:37pm

IanC

Centurion
Centurion

Well all I can say to EA is good luck finding Beta Testers.

Last edited by IanC : 22 JAN 2013 1:38pm
Profile Search

22 JAN 2013 at 8:13pm

Queeg

Centurion
Centurion

All's well that ends well:  http://www.sidequesting.com/2013/01/ea-responds-to-simcity-beta-controversy/

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 10:13pm

Swatter

Commander
Commander

The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.

Profile Search
23 JAN 2013 at 1:03am

DBeves

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Swatter (22 JAN 2013 10:13pm)

The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.

Yeah ... or they meant it but decided not to say they had reversed their decision. Given the sociopaths that run most corporations I will go with that one.

Profile Search
23 JAN 2013 at 4:10am

BlondKnight

Centurion
Centurion

Challenge everything....but us.

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > EA reserves the right to ban SimCity beta testers from all EA products for not reporting bugs

Page 1 of 2 :

Jump to:
1 Members Subscribed To This Topic