Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Printed Games Manual

Page 1

All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Printed Games Manual
22 JAN 2013 at 8:04am

AngryDJS

Centurion
Centurion

Hi all.  Yes, I've done a search and found this topic, but I really couldn't find an answer to my specific question.

I remember seeing a site on-line (this was a while ago) that you could order hard copies of just about any pc game that existed and now I can't seem to find anyone who does this anymore.

I would love to find a hard copy of Europa Universalis 3.  I just bought this game (digital download) and understand the manual is quite large and really didn't want to print out the pdf if I didn't have to.

Any suggestions or should I go buy some ink for my printer? 

Thanks all!

Dave

Profile Search

22 JAN 2013 at 8:28am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Good luck with that. Unless someone is selling them on ebay, yahoo or amazon I don't know of a book store that sells pc game manuals by themselves.

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAycDqhog 

"ha! GL getting THAT much...lolz"

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 8:29am

Chelco

Centurion
Centurion

Hello,

Have you considered a tablet with a 10 inches screen? I gave up on printing those manuals and got myself an android based one. The screen size is just right for the majority of manuals. I also loaded it with all my work-related technical papers ... I don't know, it may save you some money and you get a chance to play Temple Run.

Cheers,

Real and Simulated Wars

War and its representation by off-the shelf computer games and simulations

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 8:37am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

and you get a chance to play Temple Run.

I'd rather play "Temple of Apshai or Telengard" 

Want is the foundation of impatience, a step without thought can be a drop without end

Dbeves: And LMFAO - didnt you just have to work battlefront into your response somewhere - you are priceless.

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 10:55am

AngryDJS

Centurion
Centurion

Kinda what I thought....thanks!

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 11:06am

Chelco

Centurion
Centurion

Wolverine: spot on!

AngryDJS: since your location appears to be MD, the Microcenter at Rockville has the most complete selection of tablets, great offers and very knowledgeable staff. On a side note, that place even has HPS games like France 14, Guadalcanal, Gettysburg and Squad Battles Red Victory.

They have a few previous generation iPads at $360.00.

Cheers,

Real and Simulated Wars

War and its representation by off-the shelf computer games and simulations

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 2:03pm

airboy

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By AngryDJS (22 JAN 2013 8:04am)

Hi all.  Yes, I've done a search and found this topic, but I really couldn't find an answer to my specific question.

I remember seeing a site on-line (this was a while ago) that you could order hard copies of just about any pc game that existed and now I can't seem to find anyone who does this anymore.

I would love to find a hard copy of Europa Universalis 3.  I just bought this game (digital download) and understand the manual is quite large and really didn't want to print out the pdf if I didn't have to.

Any suggestions or should I go buy some ink for my printer? 

Thanks all!

Dave

I strongly doubt if such a site would be legal with copyright law.  The manuals are copyrighted material and I doubt if anyone can just sell copies made of the manual.  My guess is only if the manual itself was a free-of-charge download would this be legal.

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 2:19pm

Greybriar

Commander
Commander

Wolverine's right. I normally buy a used retail game from eBay if I want a printed paper manual for a game. Just make sure the auction you are bidding on comes with it. Don't hesitate to contact the seller to be sure.

And yes, I've tried the tablet route--I purchased an Acer Iconia A200 10.1" Tablet awhile back and didn't like it. If you do decide to go that route, make sure the tablet you are buying can read .pdf files. It also helps if it has a USB port.

But as far as I'm concerned nothing will ever take the place of a printed paper manual.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Profile Search
22 JAN 2013 at 6:22pm

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Hey Angry check this page out at Amazon. There's one down the list that says it has everything manual stickers etc. etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000MX68LK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Caesars-E-Palace LIKE NEW w/ Manual and Posters and Stickers. Complete in box and case. Ships FAST!

Last edited by Wolverine101 : 22 JAN 2013 6:23pm
Profile Search
23 JAN 2013 at 5:04am

AngryDJS

Centurion
Centurion

Thanks Wolverine!...ordered it this morning.

Profile Search
23 JAN 2013 at 8:30am

Nefaro

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Wolverine101 (22 JAN 2013 8:37am)

Like this old Telengard remake for Windows?

http://buildingworlds.com/telengard/

Have you tried it?

Are you brave enough for 640kb?

The Old Guard

Profile Search

23 JAN 2013 at 8:40am

Wolverine101

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By Nefaro (23 JAN 2013 8:30am)

Originally Posted By Wolverine101 (22 JAN 2013 8:37am)

Like this old Telengard remake for Windows?

http://buildingworlds.com/telengard/

Have you tried it?

I have now THANKS! I like the music score of the game (The C64 version is longer) more than the game itself but the game is pretty good because getting started is the hardest part.

Last edited by Wolverine101 : 23 JAN 2013 8:41am
Profile Search
8 MAY 2013 at 12:07am

claes

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By airboy (22 JAN 2013 2:03pm)

I strongly doubt if such a site would be legal with copyright law.  The manuals are copyrighted material and I doubt if anyone can just sell copies made of the manual.  My guess is only if the manual itself was a free-of-charge download would this be legal.

I used to work for a print company and we were sure to follow copyright law, but basically the only thing that we wouldn't reproduce was money, which you can make yourself far easier but it's moot because the color copy machines now have a routine that recognizes if someone has placed money on the glas and won't print it.

My point is that you can get your manuals printed and bound at almost any copy shop or online place that provides services like that.  You just have to ask for it the right way, or ask them how you can what service you should use to get your manual printed.  And we printed and bound many, many manuals.  It was a long time ago, but even then we couldn't make more than a copy or two out of any copyrighted book, but if we had a file to print we are not expected to peruse every single page of a 300 page document. We simply print it out per orders, and the customer assumes responsibilty (actually we were probably still liable I don't remember but we did it anyway.)

Especially online orders, due to their anonymous nature, you could farm out the cheapest document printer and email them a copy of the pdf and ask for them to print it out for you.  For all they know, you have permission and are welcome to.

And one other thing; it is highly unlikely that Paradox will prosecute.  They are quite liberal with their copyrighted material like concept art and whatnot.  There is a thread in the Paradox forums (a thread that every developer should have) that is titled: Ask Paradox anything.  Sometimes people ask about copyright infringement, and I have never seen them turn down a request.  Besides, you are using it to enhance the quality of your gameplay, which further reinforces your experience with their game.  And they are gamers too, and understand about printed manuals.  I like them better myself, because I learn much easier from printed text that I can markup like a college textbook and circle and underline than I do from a yourtube video.  imho.

Profile Search
All Forums : [GAMES] : Computer Gaming > Printed Games Manual

Page 1

Jump to:
2 Members Subscribed To This Topic