Close Combat: The Bloody First Gets New Map/Modding Tools & a Discount31 Mar 2020 0
Matrix Games’ reboot of the classic Close Combat franchise got off to a decent, if rocky start and the dev team have been hard at work improving the game ever since. Close Combat: The Bloody First received a new update this week that introduces a map editor, mod tools, and there’s even a sale running!
Is it our birthday or something? Patch 1.1.1 brings with it a lot of changes around user content creation, multiplayer and other fixes. Here is the full change-log:
Map Editor Changes:
- Press ‘P’ key to toggle cursor terrain and coordinate display.
- Mouse over an object and hit PgUp/PgDn to cycle through the possible variations in model / texture.
- Better alignment of fences and walls when placing them in a row.
- Battle damage type objects (foxhole, gun pit, craters) cannot be created via the editor and no longer show up in the object list. May be implemented in the future.
- Fix for mods loading custom maps while using the stock campaign.
- Fixed missing default textures on dead cow objects.
- Fixed incorrect texture names in data file for low stone wall, low mud wall, high mud wall, and wreck objects.
- Fix for mouse handling when Scenario Editor screen is up.
- Fix for hang when mouse over exactly overlapping buildings.
- Fixes for texture loading and saving.
Content Creator Update:
- Force Supply Level now updates correctly after each battle.
- Force Supply Level on Planning and Briefing screen now displays correct value.
- Fixed case where Kasserine Pass operation would not becoming available when it should.
- "PLAY <scenario>" button only displays for Custom Battle or Saved Games lists if you have at least one item in the list.
- Multiplayer: Client now shows correct unit status icons for enemy in sight, firing, etc.
- Multiplayer: Unit action string now updated correctly on client during a co-op battle.
- Multiplayer: Queued orders are displayed correctly on the client.
- Multiplayer: Default Defend/Ambush order arcs appear correctly on the client.
- A unit's current order line/arcs are no longer displayed while unit is broken or routing.
- Tooltips added to the Soldier screen weapon, achievement, and medal icons.
- A battle map preview can now be accessed from the Force Selection screen (image in the upper left.)
- Fix for bridge not overwritting deep water terrain (Cerisy)
- Left click on a live soldier in soldier list centers camera on soldier.
- Fix for separated soldier failing to rejoin unit if unit aborted a movement order while soldier was separated.
- Game now allows a battle scenario to begin even if battle end conditions are already in effect.
- Vehicle kill chance and counter-kill chance now has more influence when choosing a default target.
- Soldier walking and crawling speeds now less effected by terrain and slope.
- Vehicle pathing and path-following updated.
- Vehicles will attempt to keep at least 1m distance from impassable terrain.
- Vehicles halt before entering impassable terrain and re-path as necessary.
- Drivers now follow unit movement path more closely.
- Drivers will adjust vehicle speed more precisely to avoid overshooting a turn.
- New game options to control Defend/Ambush arc display and behavior.
- Added the keybind "~" (the tilde key) to deselect all units. Remappable to ESC via OPTIONS.TXT.
- Fixed potential crash with current unit becoming unselected while queuing orders for that unit.
- Added 'Delete File' button on command screen to delete saved games and custom battles.
- Unsupported 'Fog' weather option no longer appears as a weather choice in the scenario editor.
At the same time, the entire Close Combat franchise is enjoying a sale from now until 5pm BST on April 6th via the Matrix Store. It’s only for digital editions, but you can get older games for up to 75% off, while The Bloody First itself is 35% off.
Are you still playing The Bloody First? How have you found it so far? Let us know in the comments!