Historicon and Fall In! have been replaced by an online event called Cyber Wars29 Jun 2020 2
We noted with regret last month that the Historical Miniatures Gaming Society had cancelled its annual Historicon event in Lancaster, Pennsylvania due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Since then, the society has also scrubbed plans for the October Fall In! event in King of Prussia. However, the news isn't all bad: HMGS will be running its first-ever online convention next month to help make up for the cancelled in situ events.
Charmingly dubbed CYBËR WÅRS, the online convention will mainly take place over Facebook July 23-26, and society members will be getting an email with a link and instructions on how to participate.
Per an HMGS email, CYBËR WÅRS will feature:
- Virtual vendor hall where you'll be able to find links to exhibitors and vendors who have been on hand at past events
- Virtual version of 'Wally's Basement' where participants can post eBay and other links as a sort of online swap shop,
- Virtual hobby night, for posting painting and hobby videos and livestreams,
- Club showcase,
- Online merchandise shop, where you'll be able to pick up some 'I wasn't there' goodies
- Virtual painting competition, with participants submitting photos in the categories Best Historical Unit, Best Historical Figure, Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Unit, Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Single Figure, and Best Open Category.
- Virtual gaming run by game masters on various platforms.
Shifting a physical miniatures wargaming convention to an online format will be an interesting enterprise, and fortunately for us here at The Wargamer, we'll have dedicated miniatures correspondent at large Bill Gray on hand to provide us with a full 'boots not on the ground' rundown after the show. Look for that toward the end of July.