Slitherine taking 4X to the stars with the upcoming Polaris Sector28 Jan 2016 0
One of my favorite game genres is 4X, which stands for eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. Actually, I'm really fond of the first three, and not so much the last one. As anyone who has played Civilization with me can attest, I'm a turtler. What trips my trigger is researching techs and building an empire up from nothing. A peaceful empire, that is. In March, Slitherine is entering the 4X game with the sci-fi empire builder, Polaris Sector, and I'm not sure turtling will be an option. Why? You get to build your own ships, and what good is that without using them to blow stuff up?
Polaris Sector puts you at the helm of a faction in a distant sector of the galaxy. Like any good 4X game, Polaris Sector lets you research new technologies and fight, fight, and fight. It also lets you recruit scientists and engineers, the more of which will allow you to build better and better ships. Blurb time:
- An epic and dangerous playground: randomly generate a galaxy able to host up to 900 stars.
- Full customization: external threats, pirates, number of races… you can set up the world that fits your own tastes!
- Full control over ship design: want to make a corvette into a drone carrier? Go ahead. Want to make a freighter into a scout? No problem. Your creativity is the only limit!
- Explore: send scout vessels to find new mines to exploit, new planets to colonize, and to establish contact with other empires.
- Innovative research system: technologies and equipment will get unlocked depending on your investments in fundamental and applied research.
- Diplomacy: Dialogue with other factions to gain their favor, trade goods, and make military agreements to fight common enemies.
- Command your troops: when a battle starts you can join the battlefield and maneuver your ships in a tactical mode. Alternatively use the auto-resolve mode when you have more urgent tasks to attend to in your empire.
- Unique espionage system: seed false intelligence to enemy spies and lure them into a trap!
Polaris Sector arrives for PC on March 22, and it will be available on both Steam and directly from Slitherine. For a better look check out the trailers. The first is a gameplay-free teaser, but the second gets into the nitty gritty of gameplay. Enjoy!