Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail adds that most famous of naval combat units - cavalry28 Sep 2020 2
In case you haven’t been in the loop, the developers of the popular American Civil War game Ultimate General: Civil War is currently working on two follow-up projects that instead focus on naval warfare. Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts seeks to recreate the naval arms race of the late 19th and early 20th century with the rise of the ‘Dreadnought’ class of vessel (think of an extremely pretty and accessible Rule the Waves 2, if that campaign layer ever shows up).
Then there’s Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail which, according to the steam page, is a tactical wargame “set amidst the epic naval campaigns in the period of the American Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.” This is why we’re very excited to see a new type of unit added to the game via the most recent patch - cavalry.
Yes, that most famous class of naval unit has finally been added to Age of Sail’s roster. I’m being glib, but in all honesty I do find it amusing how Age of Sail is trying to avoid becoming the ultimate Napoleonic era wargame and… kind of failing? Which is a good thing for everyone, obviously.
At the moment cavalry is only available to test in a new battle that introduces Dragoons so the developers can gather feedback on how they perform. The rest of the update mainly includes bug fixes and other tweaks.
The full change-log is follows:
- Added in Battles a test battle introducing Dragoons to collect feedback about cavalry unit performance
- Decreased hint time
- Increased starting career points for DLC
- Added a notification when the leadership of a group is slowing down waiting for the following delayed ships to get positions in group formation
- Fixed several issues with ships sailing in formation with damaged mast/sails
- Corrected typos according to feedback reports.
- Fixed issue with artillery collision
- Fixed issue with mortar unit get stuck while on the move
- Fixed a case in port with negative refilling supply cost
- Fixed issue with the sliding soldiers after artillery incoming
- Fixed inconsistency of ship capacity in Marine Corps window
- Fixed several issues in port with fleet scroll, trophies, and marines picker
- Fixed an issue with player units in Desert March that may get stuck on entering
- Other minor fixes/improvements
It’s been a long while since we last looked at Age of Sail, and it's come a long way in the past year so we’ll try and get a more updated look on it soon. If any of you have been playing it recently, let us know what you think in the comments!