Wargamer Weekly: 4th Generation News24 Jan 2020 0
It’s a nice and juicy weekly update for you today. So much as happened in the past couple of days alone, I probably could have written up one or two pieces as individual news, but there you go. A really exciting start to the week and the news just kept on coming.
We also finally managed to get our Upcoming War Games 2020 guide off the ground, which I’m happy about. So many new things have cropped up already that need adding in!
Meanwhile, in the world of war games...
Panzer Corps 2 Recap
In case you missed it earlier in the week - we now have a Panzer Corps 2 release date. You can get excited now. The date (As well as many other things) were announced Monday night during a Twitch stream on Slitherine’s channel. Here’s the replay below:
Panzer Corps 2 will be landing on March 19th, 2020.
New Game: 4th Generation Warfare
Didn’t expect to see something like this turn up in my inbox. Eversim, creators of a bunch of average political sim/strategy titles are working on a new turn-based strategy game due to land in Early Access next month. 4th Generation Warfare takes place in the modern era and has a grand-strategy/wargame feel to it.
Rather than just worrying about direct confrontation of military forces however, as you lead your chosen nation through the game you must also deal with Espionage, International Politics, Cyberwafare, counter-terrorism and even trade wars. There seems to be some RPG elements to go along with the simulation. Check out the trailer:
Hearts of Iron 4 Expansion Release Date
We finally have a release date for Hearts of Iron 4’s newest expansion, La Resistance. It will be landing on the beaches on February 25th, 2020. Here’s the official feature list, in case you weren’t sure what’s going to be behind the paywall:
- New Focus Trees for France: New National Focuses for Free France and the Vichy Regime, as well as an option for conservatives to restore the old French Monarchy.
- More in Depth Spanish Campaign: New National Focuses for Republican and Nationalist Spain, including an expanded Spanish Civil War that can spiral into a wider conflict.
- Portuguese National Focuses: New unique focus tree for Portugal. Restore Portuguese naval power, strengthen the overseas empire or intervene in the Civil War next door.
- Espionage: Use your Intelligence Agency to train spies to specialize in certain types of information warfare and send them on special operations, or develop passive resistance to enemy espionage.
- Support Resistance: Use your agents to assist allied resistance movements, giving them what they need to damage the enemy.
- Collaboration Governments: Use your agents to prepare the ground for collaborators to fill the void once you’ve conquered your target.
- Code Cracking: Decrypt enemy communications to gain short term battlefield advantages.
- Recon units: Scout planes can provide useful information on nearby areas while armored cars help in detecting and suppressing resistance activities.
We’re assuming there will be a patch to go along with the update that will include some basic features for free - like Intelligence agencies, but we’ll need to confirm.
New Game: Strategic Mind: Blitzkrieg
Starni Games are back again with a new 3D Panzer General-like experience. This time they’re returning to their roots with new game: Strategic Mind: Blitzkrieg. This title (pictured above) is going to focus on the German side, but we imagine this won’t be too dissimilar from their first game, Panzer Strategy (which wasn’t that good).
Still, third time’s a charm? We’ll keep an eye on this one for you - it’s due out in the Spring.
Radio Commander DLC Announced
Unique abstract war game Radio Commander has just announced its first premium DLC pack, due out in April 2020. Squad Management mainly looks at adding in more intimate mechanics and features to do with managing the units under your command, as well as expanding on the central story. Here’s the key feature list:
- list of every unit’s personnel
- exp and leveling up system for units
- over 30 unique perks soldiers can learn on a battlefield
- soldiers’ portraits
- complex morale system for every soldier and whole Baker Company
- glossary with main heroes’ portraits and backstories promotion system
- moving soldiers between units
- sending wounded for hospitalization and leave
- enlisting newbies
- discharging soldiers
- log with all dialogues, missions’ outcomes, player’s decisions etc.
And the rest…
- Rules the Waves 2 has been updated to Version 1.15.
- Matrix Games are looking for beta testers for Fantasy General 2: Onslaught.
- There’s also a new dev diary for Shadow Empire.
- Unity of Command 2 has released a dev diary recapping what’s happened since release and what their future plans are.
- My copy of Next War: Korea from GMT Games still hasn't turned up.
That’s all we’ve got time for this week - enjoy your weekends, and we’ll see you Monday!