We need you! A call for writers13 May 2016 4
I'm not sure if you've noticed (of course you have), but content on both The Wargamer and our sister site, Pocket Tactics, has dried up a bit. That's to be expected, there are ebbs and flows on the App Store and Steam just like everything else. As much as I'd like to blame it all on those ebbs and flows, however, a larger part of the issue revolves around the content flowing through me. I can only handle so much and, while we have the best writing team of any site on the web, we need more.
That's where you come in. We're looking to expand the Writers' Dungeon (we're finally installing a toilet!) for Pocket Tactics, The Wargamer, and the oft-talked about but never-seen Strategy Gamer. We need folks able to write 2-3 reviews per month, and 1-3 writers who can write news posts every day. Both are paid gigs, and the payment will arrive in the form of actual money. The kind you can spend!
Now, the requirements:
- You are fairly funny, and don't shy away from puns. [as you can see from my writing, this requirement is flexible -ed.]
- You play a lot of strategy and/or wargames, puzzle games, and board games -- but games aren't all the media you consume. You're equally comfortable talking about film or music, books or TV.
- You know that game reviews don't have to be a buyers' guide for products -- they can be insightful and place a game within a larger context.
- You're pretty punctual. You don't have to be a Swiss clock but you can hit a deadline nine times out of ten.
- You don't need to have experience as a freelance writer, but it helps.
Sound like you, or someone you know? Email me. In your email, include:
- The subject line of your email should read: I am the droid you're looking for.
- Tell me a little about yourself. Your favourite games, your favourite movies. Tell us where you live -- not because Kelsey's going to come to your house or anything. We mostly just want to know what time zone you're in.
- Make me laugh if possible, but I've quit smoking and I'm only watching the first 20 minutes from Up! and my kids playing soccer for the next week in order to raise the difficulty level on this.
- Let me know if you're interested in being a reviewer or if you're interested in the freelance news-writing gig. Tell me what gaming platforms you currently own: PC, Xbox, iPad, etc. Also, be sure to tell me which site interests you the most. This isn't locking you into any one site (you're welcome to write for all three), but it helps me figure out which slots are overflowing and which are drying up:
- The Wargmer - You're here, so I'm guessing you know what happens 'round these parts.
- Pocket Tactics - Mobile gaming, but none of your free-to-play nonsense. We only look at strategy/puzzle/interactive fiction and whatever else makes our brains have to actually do a little work.
- Strategy Gamer - More mainstream PC and Console games as well as board game news and reviews.
- You definitely have to send me writing samples. Please, no attachments. Send me links to where I can read your writing online: another publication, your personal website, even a Dropbox folder.
After you send along your info (to my email address), give me some time to respond. It's just me looking at all of these, so it might be awhile. I'll try to get back to everyone, yay or nay, but if you don't hear anything, wait a month before pinging me back.
I look forward to hearing from you, and can't wait for our stable of awesome writers to get even more awesomer. Yep, I'm the editor, and I just typed awesomer. Anyone can get a job here, apparently.