ImInnocent

Carrier Board Game Revisioned as IOS Game is out now

Wed May 04, 2016 6:47 pm

I thought I would bring this new IOS Wargame to your attention. Carrier Battles For Guadalcanal https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carrier ... 94680?mt=8

dwtheriault

Re: Carrier Board Game Revisioned as IOS Game is out now

Thu May 05, 2016 1:11 am

I would be interested to hear your impressions, if you get it.

Thx

ImInnocent

Thu May 05, 2016 11:04 am

Thx
I bought it and have a trip this weekend and will give it a play and let you know.

Kolbex

Fri May 06, 2016 6:44 pm

Hum, this looks cool. Yes, please report back.

Kolbex

Fri May 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Thx
I bought it and have a trip this weekend and will give it a play and let you know.
So did you end up playing it?

Wasp

Wed May 25, 2016 10:40 am

An excellent implementation of traditional hex-based wargaming onto Ipad.
After a couple of days I've finally learnt all the rules; but not that many rules really. What took time was becoming familiar with the dynamic unit markers. There's much info on them, plus many colour changes to indicate their operational state. It all looks complicated at first but, like with many scary wargame manuals, once familiar with the system it all plays suprisingly easily. All die rolls and calculations are done behind the scenes, though, usefully, the manual has details of attack/damage percentages. There are two short tutorials covering search and combat. The AI seems competent, i.e. I haven't won a scenario yet. There is a lot of scope to try different strategy and tactics, all made easier by the well considered interface. Single (US) player only at present with plans for multi and playing Japanese side in future.

bladerunner69

Wed May 25, 2016 4:08 pm

From toucharcade.com
Looks very hardcore, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Bruce Geryk recommended it on Twitter and when he says something about a war game I sit up and listen.
A lot of work has gone into this. A complex hex-based boardgame but with the computer handling die rolls and chart calculations behind the scenes. There is much information to take in, especially regarding unit stats on the counters, though, helpfully, the manual and well structured tutorials are very clear and concise; so there is not too much reading required. The playability of these types of games depends a lot on the interface and this is just about the cleanest and most efficient digital interface I've seen.

gearhead25

Sat May 28, 2016 11:28 am

I have been really happy to have this game as its a subject area I really like and is not well treated in the electronic world. That being said, I'm really enjoying this a lot more than the boardgames I've played due to the extensive bookkeeping for this subject area that the app keeps track of for you.

Definitely not a game for the faint of heart as the pace can be slow, but I'm a big fan of this game.

Return to “Mobile Games”